Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2011, 07:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
so, why is that your upset about someone partying while racking up their own debt? didn't you say...

Originally Posted by hnsq
Life is really tough. Deal with it. Stop complaining and work harder to make it on your own.

Or did someone who worked less than you in college beat you out for a job you wanted and your sad?
lol...no. I have simply put in the time and effort to make a very, very good salary for myself as a 25 year old. I then see people who have no work ethic or discipline whining on wall street, trying to villainize people who actually have worked to get where they are. I have little tolerance or respect for a bunch of whiners like I see in the occupy wall street movement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I seriously hope you are joking. Come on man.....
Seriously? Pick any math class and you learn first without calculators. Pick any finance class and you learn first without excel/computers. Technology might be a tool, but you have to know how to do everything without it if you want to be decent at any job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 07:42 AM

472 posts, read 626,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
lol...no. I have simply put in the time and effort to make a very, very good salary for myself as a 25 year old. I then see people who have no work ethic or discipline whining on wall street, trying to villainize people who actually have worked to get where they are. I have little tolerance or respect for a bunch of whiners like I see in the occupy wall street movement.

Seriously? Pick any math class and you learn first without calculators. Pick any finance class and you learn first without excel/computers. Technology might be a tool, but you have to know how to do everything without it if you want to be decent at any job.

omg are you my ex?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:45 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Don't take out student loans if you don't have a plan for after school.
"Even the best laid plans of mice and men...."

You make it sound as if anyone who graduates college today and can't locate employment commensurate with the skills they've just learned is at-fault for "not planning better for after school". Do you think it was my "plan" to work two dead-end jobs unrelated to my field while being unable to afford my own health insurance?

I'm not saying the situation I'm currently mired within is anyone else's fault but my own. It's quite likely employers just don't want to hire me because my previous post-undergraduate employment did me more harm than good on my resume. It was my decision to accept that job, even after doing research on the horror stories previous employees had with that Federal agency. It was my decision to move to Pittsburgh after burning out of living in an overpriced Candyland. We're all responsible for the decisions we make in life; however, I never could have foreseen being in the situation I'm in today a few years ago while I was still in school, so I'm a bit incredulous to see that you'd imply anyone who isn't successful right now should have "planned better". Sometimes unforeseen circumstances DO arise to throw a wrench into your plans. I'm working hard on my own to overcome these obstacles without whining for government handouts like so many others (i.e. I can't believe I read recently that some politicians are looking to forgive student loan debt so graduates can stimulate the economy by spending that money elsewhere).

With that being said, though, there's no need to be so snarky and condescending just because you've been blessed with a solid career opportunity while so many of us remain underemployed. My first "taste" of how fiercely competitive the job market for college graduates would be came while I was still in college and was vying for an internship at a medium-sized public accounting firm in my hometown. I made it to the "final cut", and there were still about 15 of us being drilled through a half-day-long interviewing process with multiple hiring managers for just one internship position.

The truth of the matter is that this nation is now churning out too many gradates for a limited number of skilled entry-level employment opportunities. I'm not giving up myself on hoping and dreaming that someday soon I'll receive something other than a "Thanks, but no thanks" e-mail in my inbox from a prospective employer, but until that time all I CAN do is continue to work hard at my two dead-end jobs to pay my bills on my own. Don't you dare, though, imply that anyone in a situation such as my own "should have planned better". The mess my life is in right now was brought on by external forces in Northern Virginia that I never could have anticipated.

I'm going to make it on my own through good 'ole-fashioned American ingenuity, but this snarky "holier than thou" attitude from peers, like you, who make a good living and assume everyone can do the same because entry-level career opportunities with benefits are a dime a dozen, apparently, really irk me.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
"Even the best laid plans of mice and men...."

You make it sound as if anyone who graduates college today and can't locate employment commensurate with the skills they've just learned is at-fault for "not planning better for after school". Do you think it was my "plan" to work two dead-end jobs unrelated to my field while being unable to afford my own health insurance?

I'm not saying the situation I'm currently mired within is anyone else's fault but my own. It's quite likely employers just don't want to hire me because my previous post-undergraduate employment did me more harm than good on my resume. It was my decision to accept that job, even after doing research on the horror stories previous employees had with that Federal agency. It was my decision to move to Pittsburgh after burning out of living in an overpriced Candyland. We're all responsible for the decisions we make in life; however, I never could have foreseen being in the situation I'm in today a few years ago while I was still in school, so I'm a bit incredulous to see that you'd imply anyone who isn't successful right now should have "planned better". Sometimes unforeseen circumstances DO arise to throw a wrench into your plans. I'm working hard on my own to overcome these obstacles without whining for government handouts like so many others (i.e. I can't believe I read recently that some politicians are looking to forgive student loan debt so graduates can stimulate the economy by spending that money elsewhere).

With that being said, though, there's no need to be so snarky and condescending just because you've been blessed with a solid career opportunity while so many of us remain underemployed. My first "taste" of how fiercely competitive the job market for college graduates would be came while I was still in college and was vying for an internship at a medium-sized public accounting firm in my hometown. I made it to the "final cut", and there were still about 15 of us being drilled through a half-day-long interviewing process with multiple hiring managers for just one internship position.

The truth of the matter is that this nation is now churning out too many gradates for a limited number of skilled entry-level employment opportunities. I'm not giving up myself on hoping and dreaming that someday soon I'll receive something other than a "Thanks, but no thanks" e-mail in my inbox from a prospective employer, but until that time all I CAN do is continue to work hard at my two dead-end jobs to pay my bills on my own. Don't you dare, though, imply that anyone in a situation such as my own "should have planned better". The mess my life is in right now was brought on by external forces in Northern Virginia that I never could have anticipated.

I'm going to make it on my own through good 'ole-fashioned American ingenuity, but this snarky "holier than thou" attitude from peers, like you, who make a good living and assume everyone can do the same because entry-level career opportunities with benefits are a dime a dozen, apparently, really irk me.
It irks me when people do not plan their careers. It irks me when people don't start job hunting at the beginning of their sophomore year (instead of their senior year like some people). It irks me when people don't even consider the cost before going to school. There ARE jobs available today. there is a 3% job vacancy rate. It irks me when people refuse to move/choose a different profession/volunteer at night to get more experience. You are more than welcome to disagree with me (as you obviously do). I simply see a lot more that people could be doing to get jobs today, and I hear a lot of excuses.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:56 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
hnsq - maybe the study time is less because every single student must work 20+ hours a week to put themselves through school, then obtain one or more internship to have work experience before getting out of college to get work experience.
^ This.

I worked an average of 38 hours per week in a stressful sales position to help finance my college-related expenditures. I didn't go to even ONE college party. I graduated on the borderline between *** Laude and Magna *** Laude. HNSQ apparently thinks that anyone today who is having difficulty securing lucrative skilled employment commensurate with their skills and experience was one of those who did nothing but drink and party while in undergraduate school. HNSQ is apparently oblivious to the fact that with more Baby Boomers working longer before retirement to reinforce retirement savings that were partially depleted during the Great Recession that there aren't as many openings for new hires---those seeking to get their "foot in the door", so to speak, at the same time as a record number of people are graduating from college.

I'm doing whatever it takes to make ends meat right now. I'm taking ownership of my own current unfortuate employment situation. I'm just growing increasingly disturbed by the presence of peers like HNSQ who proclaim "I got a job, so if you can't then you must not have worked as hard as I did". There's still quite a lot of luck involved in securing skilled employment. People like me aren't exactly noted for being lucky, but I digress.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:03 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,957,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I'm just growing increasingly disturbed by the presence of peers like HNSQ who proclaim "I got a job, so if you can't then you must not have worked as hard as I did". There's still quite a lot of luck involved in securing skilled employment. People like me aren't exactly noted for being lucky, but I digress.
It's the "s*rew you, I got mine." outlook. There is an accepted point of view in this nation that is unable to empathize with anything they have not personally experienced. Be it unemployment, lack of healthcare, or some social stigma or perceived moral failing. It's a nasty symptom of the social cancer that has been festering in the body of this country for the past three decades.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
It irks me when people do not plan their careers. It irks me when people don't start job hunting at the beginning of their sophomore year (instead of their senior year like some people). It irks me when people don't even consider the cost before going to school. There ARE jobs available today. there is a 3% job vacancy rate. It irks me when people refuse to move/choose a different profession/volunteer at night to get more experience. You are more than welcome to disagree with me (as you obviously do). I simply see a lot more that people could be doing to get jobs today, and I hear a lot of excuses.

I angers me when people don't realize that at age 18 choosing a career path and major is a pretty rediculous thing.... People tell an 18 year old not to get a tattoo because their tastes will change and they will regret it. Because they don't know what they want. But you want them to plan out their entire future at that moment. I understand that people either follow lead of their elder family members and become a lawyer, doctor, fat cat, or people just know what they want from a young age. The majority of people have no ****ing idea. I'm sure you've noticed in your undergrad and grad classes sometimes you will see a 40 year old woman/man sitting right next to you. This person had worked their entire life in one field and decided that it wasn't for them. The thought of someone being so closed minded an idiotic is amazing, I hope you enjoy the path you have chosen your entire life and are a lucky one. But I hope moreso you wake up one morning in a panic a realize you are on the other side of it and you don't have it all figured out.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
It's the "s*rew you, I got mine." outlook. There is an accepted point of view in this nation that is unable to empathize with anything they have not personally experienced. Be it unemployment, lack of healthcare, or some social stigma or perceived moral failing. It's a nasty symptom of the social cancer that has been festering in the body of this country for the past three decades.
Agree.

Lack of empathy mixed with indifference the poison we all breathe in everyday.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:10 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I agree whole-heartedly that the above chart is indicative of a serious problem in our society. But I'm not sure what Wall Street has to do with it. Anymore, it seems colleges are run more for the benefit of the employees than the students. And the people responsible for that generally come from the same left-of-center side of the political spectrum as the OWS protesters.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
The price of college education has really gone through the roof over the past 35 years.

When I was in college in the mid 70's, Pitt's tuition was just a grand a year, Duquesne charged about $2200.

Now, both charge more than a dozen times what they did back then, yet prices for other things haven't gone up nearly that much. Minimum wage was $2 in 1975.

Have the costs of hiring lecturers gone up that much? I'd like to see where all this money has been going. I can understand the frustration of people paying these skyrocketing fees, but these protests aren't even addressing these costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh