U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM

10 posts, read 8,938 times
Default McMurray to Pittsburgh

My family will be moving to the Pittsburg area for my husbands job. We are looking into the McMurray area/ Peters township. From what I can see the area looks great! My question is how would the commute be? My husband works in Philly now, but takes the train in from southern NJ. So we are use to long commutes. Also, does living on either side of the river play a factor in the commute times? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 10:09 AM

12,949 posts, read 10,243,359 times
Will your husband be working downtown?

Old 10-12-2011, 10:20 AM

10 posts, read 8,938 times
Not sure if it is downtown or not, but the office is located on W. Carson St.??

Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 AM

4,731 posts, read 3,104,188 times
W. Carson Street is considered the West End--maybe partially the South Side?--of Pittsburgh.

It is always better not to have to cross a bridge or go through a tunnel, so you might want to confine your home search to the West and South parts of Pittsburgh. Since I don't know much about the specific neighborhoods, I will let others rhapsodize about their favorites. Here's a map of that part of the city. How much do you want to spend?

west carson street pittsburgh pa - Google Maps

Old 10-12-2011, 04:28 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,778,111 times
McMurray and Peters Township are definitely nice areas, but I wouldn't want to drive in from there to West Carson St. You don't have a tunnel on your route, but you still would have to go down Greentree Hill to the West End Bypass to get down to West Carson, which is virtually downtown.

If you want to do the transit thingie, the South is o.k. with LTR cars coming in from Bethel and Mt. Lebanon, and you could do the park and ride trip from Peters to the South Hills Village.

But if you must or want to drive, the north is the easiest commute. If Peters is within your budget, so are Marshall Township and Frankliin Park in the North Allegheny school district. Easier coming in on I 279 into the city.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:33 PM

92 posts, read 80,723 times
i grew up in peters/mcmurray (15 or so years ago) and it was nice, and i know it continues to be a nice place....if you are looking for a suburban community.

i would not be willing to do the commute to downtown from there but the OP seems to already be ok with a crazy commute.

i would urge anyone planning to move to our city to remember what makes it "livable"(per the various rankings) is stuff like cheap housing, or realtively short commute times or lively arts/entertainment scene, etc...which are all erased when you move to the highest priced, farthest out, most sanitized suburb

Old 10-14-2011, 03:19 PM

1,254 posts, read 775,456 times
drive to Shills village mall, park the car there and hop on the T. Get off @ st square and catch a bus to where he works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh