U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-13-2011, 08:10 AM
 
20,274 posts, read 18,231,015 times
Reputation: 2823
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's surprising so few people walk or bike to work from the Hill District, Strip District, and Polish Hill, all of which are walkable/bikeable to either Oakland or Downtown
I suspect that if you layered public transit commutes on top of walking and biking commutes, it would even up those areas a bit more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-13-2011, 01:24 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,286 posts, read 7,439,330 times
Reputation: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriott001 View Post
Are there any areas that are better than others in terms of commuting to Downtown via bike? Does certain sides of the city have better access than others? I don't tend to notice much in terms of bike lanes but I commute on 79 daily, so I am not surprised at that.
Best commutes to town are:
1. Millvale and all through the North Side that is closer to the river.
2. Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Point Breeze and that area.
3. Highland Park, Friendship, East Liberty and that area.
4. South Side is awesome.
5. Sewickley and out that way, if you know the routes.
6. Aspinwall area, if you know the routes.

There are more areas, but I find these are really good. Sure you can do Mt. Lebo, but that to me is a joke. No busses for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM
 
3,985 posts, read 3,052,456 times
Reputation: 1619
I would say hands down the Eliza Furnace Trail would be the best way to travel to downtown via bicycle, I believe the entrance to that is in Greenfield, near "The Run". A distant 2nd would be Bloomfield/Lawrenceville, using the bike lane on Liberty Avenue.

Of course, living in the neighborhoods immediately surrounding downtown, such as the south side, north side, uptown, strip district, and the hill district would obviously be fairly short trips, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 02:18 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,286 posts, read 7,439,330 times
Reputation: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I would say hands down the Eliza Furnace Trail would be the best way to travel to downtown via bicycle, I believe the entrance to that is in Greenfield, near "The Run". A distant 2nd would be Bloomfield/Lawrenceville, using the bike lane on Liberty Avenue.
Why would that be "hands down" the best? I find that trail nice, but it is sandwiched between roads and lots of road noise and more air pollution due to the congestion that is so close. Most all the trails are pretty nice for a commute. Veteran cyclists many times prefer roads because of the speed you can get places. Tons of bike traffic on Butler Street for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
 
25 posts, read 61,794 times
Reputation: 11
How are the "good" biking areas in relation to the crime in those areas? Would I run into issues at night for example, if it was dark when I came back from work.

To answer an earlier question, I was looking at not including bike racks on buses, as the bus can get caught in traffic, and I would be tied to the times the bus comes to certain stops. Preference would be to areas that you have no reliance on outside aid to get to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 02:29 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,286 posts, read 7,439,330 times
Reputation: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriott001 View Post
How are the "good" biking areas in relation to the crime in those areas? Would I run into issues at night for example, if it was dark when I came back from work.

To answer an earlier question, I was looking at not including bike racks on buses, as the bus can get caught in traffic, and I would be tied to the times the bus comes to certain stops. Preference would be to areas that you have no reliance on outside aid to get to work.
I am a city boy, so all the places feel very safe for me. You won't be alone on these trails. That millvale run is used a lot. Many drive to Millvale and ride a bike in. Eliza Furnace is a big commuters route as well as Panther Hollow and the trail on the South Side. Liberty Ave. bike lane is good as well. These places are quite safe IMHO. The only issues I have had are in East Liberty, but they weren't that big of a deal. Just kid stuff. I might start packing if the economy keeps getting worse, but right now I feel pretty at ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM
 
3,985 posts, read 3,052,456 times
Reputation: 1619
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why would that be "hands down" the best? I find that trail nice, but it is sandwiched between roads and lots of road noise and more air pollution due to the congestion that is so close. Most all the trails are pretty nice for a commute. Veteran cyclists many times prefer roads because of the speed you can get places. Tons of bike traffic on Butler Street for example.
I said "Hands down" merely because it is a trail, and not a road. Maybe it's a personal preference, but I know I would much rather commute on a trail than on roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 04:19 PM
gg
 
Location: Pittsburgh
11,286 posts, read 7,439,330 times
Reputation: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
I said "Hands down" merely because it is a trail, and not a road. Maybe it's a personal preference, but I know I would much rather commute on a trail than on roads.
There are other trails. One goes from Millvale to the city. One is on the South Side and you just can go across the Smithfield St. Bridge on the huge sidewalk or there are other options. I enjoy trails myself. Anything to get away from cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,223 posts, read 45,926,935 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Anything to get away from cars.
Which is why you live in the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 AM
 
Location: South Oakland, Pittsburgh, PA
875 posts, read 796,267 times
Reputation: 281
If a real trail ever gets built along the north bank of the Allegheny past Millvale then Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, even Blawnox would ALL be bike friendly towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top