Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:58 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
What is special about Sheetz?
It's magical. Simply magical. It has almost as many rainbows, puppies, and rays of sunshine inside of its four walls as Northern Virginia did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:29 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Off the top of my head they have locations in Peters Twp, near Century III on 51, and in Monroeville. Depending on where they put it in Ross twp, it may be the same distance as those stores. I say somewhere like Green Tree or Edgewood would work well for Sheetz. In the city there is limited space for a store the size of Sheetz

Old 10-17-2011, 09:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 2,871,033 times
Try the puppy and unicorn sandwich, it's delicious.

There's a Sheetz in Robinson. As far as I'm concerned that's "city enough"

Old 10-17-2011, 09:31 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I've always considered Sheetz to be W PA's answer to E PA's WAWA more so than GetGo and I love me some WAWA.....I think Sheetz and WAWA come to a meeting point in the Harrisburg area.
Sheetz is actually larger than any WAWA that I have been to, which were more the size of a 7/11 or BFS. They did have subs to die for though.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I was always pleased to spot a Sheetz when I was looking for gas, and maybe a bathroom and a snack, in the middle of nowhere. I'm not really in that position much anymore, but I still have some affection for them as a result of prior periods in my life.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,222,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
near Century III on 51
Actually on Curry Hollow Road at the bottom of the hill.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I thought Sheetz agreed not to open anymore stores in the city when they spun their Pittsburgh stores off as Crossroads 20 years ago. The Crossroads were eventually converted into GetGo's.
Sheetz never had ANYTHING to do with Crossroads. Crossroads was owned by Guttman oil company.

GetGo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-17-2011, 10:54 PM

Being Sheetz and the boys (Steve, Stan, Joe, Jerry, Bob) are from my hometown and are friends of the family, I can tell you they never were as big as today. Jerry who was the father married a Harshbarger (Harshbarger Dairy) woman and the dairy operated five little stores in Altoona. Jerrys son Bob bought one of them and transformed it into the first "Sheetz Quik Shopper", (which my great grandmother worked for back in the 50s). From that point on, he brought brother Steve into the business and opened the second store. The concept continued to keep growing and growing, branching into other areas of Altoona and surrounding towns, but the Sheetz of yesterday was NOTHING like now.

When it first started, there were no gas pumps, no M-T-Os, just dull and boring. It was a place to buy milk, eggs, bread, and other necessities. They even had the meat cases where you could go in and buy meat and cheese and get it how you wanted, sliced, chipped, etc just like the grocery store. It was pretty much just like a neighborhood market. All the baked goods, sandwiches, etc were of the boxed kind and brought in from other suppliers.

It wasn't really until the 80-90s that they started to take off and get all the fancier things like making their own hot and cold sandwiches, cookies, etc, but the stores were still much smaller and many locations still did not have the gas pumps yet due to size constrictions. Most of the locations were leased.

The "showcase" stores and major expansion into other markets came in the mid 90s as the brothers started buying ground and building their own stores like you see today. It is quite amazing as to how it all came about as I can still remember my parents taking me into the "Kwik Shoppers" back when I was a little kid in the 70s. Man, what a difference!!

I will have to make a phone call, but from what I can remember, they felt Pittsburgh central already had enough competition with convenience marts (7-11, Sunoco, Co Gos, Crossroads, etc) which was why they stayed more to the suburbs of Pittsburgh. I highly doubt you will ever see one within the City of Pittsburgh unless some others competitors move out.

Last edited by Benzman66; 10-17-2011 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-17-2011, 11:07 PM

62 posts, read 109,504 times
I always hated that every Sheetz in my area (Shaler) are just far enough away that I don't really bother going to them. I always liked their MTO's.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Between Sheetz and WaWa, Pennsylvania has the best convenience stores in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh