U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2011, 08:03 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,039,203 times

Advertisements

I know a mechanic who claims that Get Go gas is one step about water so I only use their gas when I have a ton off such as 70cents plus. Anyway I haven't seen the one in Plum yet but I may have to check it out whenever I am free. I could go for some fries with a couple of chili dogs
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 AM

9,887 posts, read 10,169,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Heh, I said "between Sheetz."
The funniest play on Sheetz was their own billboard campaign where it said "Holy Sheetza Pizza". Can't believe they actually did that. There was one on Rt 19 southbound, just north of the Wexford Sheetz. It wasn't there long, don't think it was there for the usual cycle, so I'm guessing someone did in fact complain eventually.

That one in Wexford is relatively new, just several years old maybe. But there's been one in Cranberry for ages, old store. Apparently they're fixing to build a new one there, slightly to the west at the next traffic light, given that what was originally going to be put there now is not. (Used to be a little beer distributor, then they tore that building down, and there were plans announced for a drug store a few years ago. Guessing it was probably Walgreens which they put on 19 instead.)

Old 10-18-2011, 08:10 AM

9,887 posts, read 10,169,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I know a mechanic who claims that Get Go gas is one step about water so I only use their gas when I have a ton off such as 70cents plus. Anyway I haven't seen the one in Plum yet but I may have to check it out whenever I am free. I could go for some fries with a couple of chili dogs
This kind of stuff is crap. The only difference between gas at different brand stations is their pack of additives. All gas comes from at most a couple of terminals in the area regardless of brand. I forget who owns the terminal(s) here. Each brand might transport their gas in their own trucks, but they all pull up to the same terminal, whatever is closest to the stations. Actually, here's an article that explains a little more: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_748378.html There was a problem in the spring, not sure if you remember, that had to do with the Buckeye Pipeline. Yes, gasoline comes to the terminals in a pipeline in some cases! I didn't know that happened around here though until last spring.

Apparently Sunoco is an exception then. They control their supply and distribution all the way to stations, many of which they still own. Everywhere else would all come from a regular terminal where everyone gets the same gas.

Last edited by greg42; 10-18-2011 at 08:20 AM..

Old 10-18-2011, 08:25 AM

4,478 posts, read 3,221,901 times
Sheetz is OK in my book. They've spoke out against the PLCB's asinine practices and have tried to get beer on their shelves without jumping through hoops. They also sold collector cups from Morgan Spurlock's documentary "The Greatest Movie Ever Sold" which I found ironic and hilarious. Of course I had to get one.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 AM

970 posts, read 735,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Did you see that new Sheetz in Plum/Oakmont? It is stone and is pretty fancy for a Sheets. Still has that huge ugly red bright awning over everything and lit up so bright it is daylight for a square mile, but the building is kind of cool. I never go to these places. Have a BP credit card and get 5% off fuel. Hard to beat that. The Giant Eagle thing is such a scam, but it works for them due to people thinking they save something. What a laugh.
The GetGo fuelperks can be handy if you use them right. I recently bought an iPad. I went to GE, bought giftcards for about $500.00. At the time, they were running a promotion of .20 off a gallon for every $50 you spend on giftcards...so...I ended up with $2.00 off per gallon if I remember correctly. It was awesome...didn't spend any more for my iPad and got a great deal on gas!

Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I've heard that as well and it's just some dumb rumor that got cycled like a lot of stuff. I've been running GetGo gas in 3 different vehicles literally since GetGo started and never had any issues with my vehicles mechanically. I tend to hit GetGo just because out of all gas stations, there is usually a GetGo convenient to my route.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 AM

436 posts, read 438,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Golf09 View Post
Damons took over the spot where Kings used to be. It isn't a new building, just totally revamped. This is off 51, close to the Advance Auto. Personally, I was more excited about Buffalo Wild Wings opening up at Century Square than Damons.
Damon's is an interesting chain to me. I thought for sure they were going to close completely due to the economy and their general mediocrity, but for every one that is shut down (Waterworks, Waterfront), a new one springs up (51, Settler's Ridge, North Shore). BTW, I noticed the other day that the closed Waterfront location has been razed.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:47 AM

1,020 posts, read 850,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trotter_rej View Post
Damon's is an interesting chain to me. I thought for sure they were going to close completely due to the economy and their general mediocrity, but for every one that is shut down (Waterworks, Waterfront), a new one springs up (51, Settler's Ridge, North Shore). BTW, I noticed the other day that the closed Waterfront location has been razed.
I am surprised that Damon's remains in business, considering their consistently lousy food. Is the bar and multiple TV's? That's not exactly unique to them.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I am surprised that Damon's remains in business, considering their consistently lousy food. Is the bar and multiple TV's? That's not exactly unique to them.
Can't say I was ever a fan of Damon's either. The one in Miracle Mile in Monroeville also closed recently, to my knowledge...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 AM

783 posts, read 1,136,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
I was at the new location off of 51 already and it is very mediocre. The one at Settlers Ridge seemed better. What's strange is that they used to have a location in Southland shopping center on 51, where the Quaker Steak and Lube currently is. So, I guess they're giving Pleasant Hills another shot. Weird. I don't particularly care for the location either. You really have to go out of your way to find Damons. Hate to say it, but I doubt it will last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh