Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 08:44 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
How is Pittsburgh airport with reference to international travel?

It's fine as long as you don't have an aversion to connecting flights. As noted there is Pgh-Paris direct flight, but that is available only through Delta, and runs on a limited basis. Be prepared to connect mainly through NY or Chicago from here at least in my experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:41 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
We are still working through USAir miles, so connect a lot out of Charlotte and Philly.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:19 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
I have also noticed a lot of flights connecting through Detroit which is an airport that I personally really like (better than JFK by a longshot.) It is also only a 30-40 minute flight to Detroit so it really isn't too big of a hassle to make a connection via air. At least we have an international airport. Imagine trying to fly places out of an airport such as Harrisburg or Erie

Old 10-26-2011, 12:09 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
No problem doing connecting flights at all. So at least we can get home if we wanted to.
Thanks

p.s We found that it was cheaper to fly thru Iceland and onto Paris ; also if you want to stop over in Iceland for a few days, there is no extra charge then to go onto Paris.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:25 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I have also noticed a lot of flights connecting through Detroit which is an airport that I personally really like (better than JFK by a longshot.) It is also only a 30-40 minute flight to Detroit so it really isn't too big of a hassle to make a connection via air. At least we have an international airport. Imagine trying to fly places out of an airport such as Harrisburg or Erie
Seems funny that both are international airports. And as far as I know, you can't fly direct from Pittsburgh to Erie or Harrisburg. Pittsburgh is no longer a major air hub. Even Cleveland is a hub for Continental airlines. Cincinnati is seeing its Delta hub operations erode.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,129,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
No problem doing connecting flights at all. So at least we can get home if we wanted to.
Thanks

p.s We found that it was cheaper to fly thru Iceland and onto Paris ; also if you want to stop over in Iceland for a few days, there is no extra charge then to go onto Paris.
When it was a hub, flights out of Pittsburgh went all over the country but were expensive as US Airways dominated the gates. The good news now is that Southwest, Air Tran, and JetBlue now fly out of the airport.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:55 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Seems funny that both are international airports. And as far as I know, you can't fly direct from Pittsburgh to Erie or Harrisburg. Pittsburgh is no longer a major air hub. Even Cleveland is a hub for Continental airlines. Cincinnati is seeing its Delta hub operations erode.
Gotta wonder how long Cleveland will remain a hub with that merger. I'm guessing not that long. If there's one hub the new United probably doesn't really need, it's that one, wouldn't you think? Can't imagine its O/D traffic is a ton higher than here.

International connections from PIT would vary depending upon what airline you choose. I flew United for all of my transatlantic over the years and connected at Washington Dulles. You don't really want to have to do Chicago or Atlanta for a transatlantic connection, but you shouldn't really have to. Should be Dulles/JFK/Newark/Philly/Boston connections available. If you're going west, then there are various options as well. Detroit is really not that far out of the way for a transatlantic, I guess, so that could work for either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh