U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 10-24-2011, 08:56 AM

5,453 posts, read 3,411,459 times
Where was that pic taken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Courtesy of Burgh Diaspora:

Best Trips 2012 -- National Geographic

Snippet:

Of course not everyone here has stopped mourning for Pittsburgh's past, but I do think they are an ever-decreasing force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 10-24-2011, 09:03 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,431,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Where was that pic taken?
You're looking towards downtown from the Convention Center.

Unread 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM

No idea where that is, is the where the Stadiums are?

Unread 10-24-2011, 09:10 AM

1,661 posts, read 1,060,532 times
Quote:
It's here.

Unread 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM

3,851 posts, read 2,431,185 times
Quote:
No. It's at the very northeastern edge of downtown, north of Penn Ave between 9th and 11th Streets. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=pittsb...-8&sa=N&tab=il

Unread 10-24-2011, 09:12 AM

1,125 posts, read 821,592 times
Quote:
The stadiums would be behind you in the picture. The convention center is pretty much just right across the Allegheny from them

Unread 10-24-2011, 09:23 AM

Ohh, thank you this helps, I haven't gotten that way either...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
No. It's at the very northeastern edge of downtown, north of Penn Ave between 9th and 11th Streets. pittsburgh convention center - Google Maps

Unread 10-24-2011, 11:11 AM

3,065 posts, read 1,565,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If you plopped this city in the middle of Eastern Europe people would go out of their way to visit it, no doubt.

With that being said, Americans are a bit more "pretentious" when it comes to their vacation destinations (and rightfully so thanks to our lack of vacation time available). Americans don't normally go on vacation to soak in the local culture (which we have in abundance) but rather to hang loose and party/relax. Pittsburgh's party life is not unique and there aren't many "relaxing" (by American standards) places to hang your hat at here either. Simply put, I don't see this city ever being a go-to tourist destination from Americans any time soon.

I myself love to check out local culture and obscure places (I had a fantastic time in the middle of nowhere in Austria last month) but I think I'm in the minority. I mean, just look at that the amount of OBX stickers on local vehicles in 2011.
I think this about sums it up.

Unread 10-24-2011, 12:06 PM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,340 posts, read 4,610,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
In all seriousness, when we travel abroad, we love to go to smaller cities and towns. If we lived elsewhere and were visiting the United States, I could easily see us adding Pittsburgh to our itinerary based on recommendations like this.

Lisbon in particular actually strikes me as pretty comparable to Pittsburgh in tourist terms. They are roughly similar-sized cities, and I understand what they mean in terms of both having a compelling topography. Of course Lisbon is WAY older (it is older than most cities in Europe, let alone the United States), but I think people from the U.S. sometimes underestimate how interesting U.S. cities with at least some history can be to non-U.S. people.

Anyway, this is an inherently subjective issue. As usual, though, I think the fact of the coverage alone is interesting.
Agreed and I'll add Florence, Italy to the mix with Lisbon. We just got back from a trip to the Italian Trinity (Venice, Florence, Rome). Florence was like a respite after Venice and I realized it was because I felt at home. It reminded me so much of Pittsburgh in a variety of ways - including that it's a small walkable down town with lots of bridges and a 'just folks' feel even though it's a busy city. Plus, it has plenty of art and is where we had the best starch on starch food Thanks for the link!

Unread 10-24-2011, 01:16 PM

5,443 posts, read 3,120,811 times
I think Pittsburgh is a wonderful city when you're visiting a friend. Pittsburgh is a "city of insiders" in that many of its finest gems are prone to being easily overlooked by tourists. I would never have discovered most of my favorite things about the region had I stuck to a AAA guide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh