U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:54 PM

2,024 posts, read 2,394,748 times
I agree that the COL is a killer. I have a friend who has lived in Brooklyn for 12 years moving back to Pgh because of it. NYC was nice, he says, but at 50, he has little savings, no property, and no chance of a higher standard of living. Everything he makes - and he has what would be a middle class income here - goes to living expenses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM

1,243 posts, read 677,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
Have you ever heard of a little neighborhood called Bloomfield???
Have you people ever heard of a restaurant Cucina Flegrea? The owner, Ana Fevola, is opening another location in Market Square downtown.

People here would advice pro and cons evidently. I suggest that you come here and judge for yourself.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:01 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,545,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Transplants are able to deal with the COL for while (say 3 years tops) before its starts to hit home and they begin to tire of always living Paycheck2Paycheck lifestyle and just getting a somewhat raw deal.
That was one of the primary reasons I decided not to move to NYC, Boston, Philadelphia, etc. It seemed that unless someone made a lot of money, it would be impossible to save much and acquire property in those places -- both of which I can do in Pittsburgh on < $30k a year. The paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle is something I could never handle. Too much stress.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:02 PM

30 posts, read 18,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I visited NY once and I hated it. I am willing to give it a second chance though. From what I remember it was dirty and the people were pricks.
I honestly hate when people make that generalization.

Perhaps you were one of the tourists that took up the entire sidewalk to look up at the sky and take a photo, and ignored the people around you? Were you one of those people walk extremely slowly and have people bumping into you because they have somewhere to be and cannot waste any time idling behind you?

If you say no, then you should realize that your comment was stupid.

If you say yes, then maybe you should take others into consideration before you decide to own the sidewalk.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
NYC number one problem is its COL/Doing Business here.....Its just too overwhelming and its really starting to hit home now with this Brutal Recession and with Employers having the upper hand with Salaries a lot them have slashed salaries well below what it take to live a decent middle class lifestyle here..

Transplants are able to deal with the COL for while (say 3 years tops) before its starts to hit home and they begin to tire of always living Paycheck2Paycheck lifestyle and just getting a somewhat raw deal.
The COL really depends on the neighborhood, and how you live your life. There are plenty of people that make it without a problem with less than what others would assume is necessary to live in NYC. With that said, I'd rather live in Pittsburgh (for this example, since I've yet to visit) than live in a neighborhood that isn't clean, safe, or have actual businesses aside from McDonald's, Duane Reade (the Starbucks for pharmacies here), and bodegas (corner stores, I don't know what you call 'em in Pittsburgh). A lot of cheaper neighborhoods also tend to fall into the "food desert" category, which is unfortunate but they're trying to fix that I believe. Instead of grocery stores you'll get a Duane Reade.

There's also the vulture-like attitude people have with apartments. I used to be a real estate agent and it was pure hell.

As for businesses, well, yeah, Pittsburgh wins!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:21 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,688,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSoCreativeUsername View Post
I honestly hate when people make that generalization.

Perhaps you were one of the tourists that took up the entire sidewalk to look up at the sky and take a photo, and ignored the people around you? Were you one of those people walk extremely slowly and have people bumping into you because they have somewhere to be and cannot waste any time idling behind you?

If you say no, then you should realize that your comment was stupid.

If you say yes, then maybe you should take others into consideration before you decide to own the sidewalk.
Hey look, it's one of those people who can't take criticism regarding their city!

Like I said, I'm all for going there for round 2 with an open mind. Like you know... one of those open minds that can take criticism.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:27 PM

4,541 posts, read 4,249,367 times
Quote:
The COL really depends on the neighborhood, and how you live your life. There are plenty of people that make it without a problem with less than what others would assume is necessary to live in NYC.
But what type of neighborhoods and living conditions are those folks living in...

Yea I can find a 1br for 700-800$ but man those are not going to "acceptable" living conditions by many people's standard.

I know myself I have living standards that I'm just no willing to sacrifice just to say I live in NYC....some people's standards are lower and can accept more burdens for the lower rent, but many people cannot...If I lost my job tomorrow, or some how could no longer afford to pay my rent every month for my own personal apartment in half way decent neighborhood I wouldn't think twice about leaving NYC after 13years here its not that important to me anymore.

No way should a person making 50-60-70K a year need to live with 3 other strangers or in a run down slum in the Ghetto part of the city just to make ends meets, but those are the sacrifices of living in NYC.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Hey look, it's one of those people who can't take criticism regarding their city!

Like I said, I'm all for going there for round 2 with an open mind. Like you know... one of those open minds that can take criticism.
What I said has nothing to do with me not being able to take criticism about NYC; I obviously posted a thread about leaving NYC. There are obviously things I don't like about it, but generalizations like that are stupid. There are rude New Yorkers like there are rude people in every city.

Also, dirty places in NYC tend to be the areas for tourists. If you do go back, you should check out some areas in Brooklyn, like Williamsburg, Brooklyn Heights, and Park Slope. Long Island City in Queens is nice, too. And of course other parts of Manhattan that don't include Times Square, Herald Square, Chinatown, or Lower Manhattan. Flushing, Queens is nicer than Chinatown in Manhattan.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 PM

Blackbeauty212: There are some cheaper neighborhoods that aren't trashy, but they aren't Chelsea. Most people move to NYC just to say they live here anyway. I don't see what that does for one's life aside from stroke their ego but I don't really mind living elsewhere after living here my entire life.

Making 50-70K wouldn't make you live with three others in a ghetto, though.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:34 AM

4,541 posts, read 4,249,367 times
Quote:
Blackbeauty212:

Making 50-70K wouldn't make you live with three others in a ghetto, though.
I didn't say 3 other in a ghetto, I said with 3 Strangers OR in the ghetto.....

Moreover you must know some secret haven of the city where a person making 50K-70K can Live Alone, in a decent neighborhood, in a half way decent apartment with a half way decent commute to Manhattan????

Please share this/these neighborhood(s)....keep in mind 50-70K is 1300-1800 net pay every 2 week for a single person in NYC....

SI is the only part of the city that i can think of that really can give you most of the above, but the commutes to the city are a KILLER!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh