Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 09:18 AM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy53 View Post
For all you people giving a shout out to Greensburg you have to be kidding. I lived there there 5 years and there is nothing to do there after 5pm.
Obviously someone who never ate out, never went to concerts/plays/lectures and never drank.

What did you do that was soooo exciting before 5pm? What happens at 5pm that all your fun gets sucked out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 09:40 AM

440 posts, read 549,365 times
Quote:
Augie I lived there 2 yrs ago and whats relative is that Greensburg sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, I see that you are real winner. Keep up the good work , Billy.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
I grew up near Greensburg and never really minded the area. I used to love how much closer I was to Seven Springs in the winter months. In fact, driving around there now is a different world from even 8 years ago with all of the new shopping centers and associated restaurants, etc. However, after living in Pittsburgh for 4 years, I figured out I like the bigger city atmosphere better than the small towns, which is why I'm trying to move back into the city.

I wouldn't say Greensburg sucks, because I don't think it does. It's just not my personal preference right now.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
The reason people like places like Greensburg is because they are afraid to live in the city.
Or:
they have a job in the area,
they have elderly parents who need help getting around
they don't mind the entire 45 minute drive to Pittsburgh from there (to people from Southern California that commute would be a breeze)
There are many different reasons to live there than just being afraid to live in the city (although if you mean neighborhoods such as Homewood, I would be right there with them.)

Old 11-30-2011, 11:59 AM

659 posts, read 1,145,521 times
I agree with esliade18.

Old 11-30-2011, 12:11 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,536,827 times
Quote:
The reason people like places like Greensburg is because they are afraid to live in the city.
You must have done a pretty comprehensive study to arrive at that conclusion.

Isn't Greensburg a city?

Old 11-30-2011, 02:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,031,392 times
I love Greensburg and I'm not afraid of Pittsburgh (what's to be afraid of, besides the Yinzers? Just kidding!). There are drawbacks to living in a major city (poverty, blight, crime, stress, traffic, overcrowding) that smaller cities have in much smaller concentrations, if at all. I would live in Greensburg in a heartbeat. It has the urban historic architecture with fewer big city problems and a less hectic lifestyle would seem to be possible there. This coming from someone who grew up in the country and hated it, Greensburg doesn't seem country to me.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,346,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I love Greensburg and I'm not afraid of Pittsburgh (what's to be afraid of, besides the Yinzers? Just kidding!). There are drawbacks to living in a major city (poverty, blight, crime, stress, traffic, overcrowding) that smaller cities have in much smaller concentrations, if at all. I would live in Greensburg in a heartbeat. It has the urban historic architecture with fewer big city problems and a less hectic lifestyle would seem to be possible there. This coming from someone who grew up in the country and hated it, Greensburg doesn't seem country to me.
honestly it isn't country. It feels more like a suburb of Pittsburgh than anything else. There is not much rural land in between the two areas on rt.30. It is the equivalent of Washington PA

Old 12-01-2011, 05:21 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
honestly it isn't country. It feels more like a suburb of Pittsburgh than anything else. There is not much rural land in between the two areas on rt.30. It is the equivalent of Washington PA
If you are from Pittsburgh, Greensburg doesn't feel like a suburb at all. It is its own town and very far out. I like Greensburg though and it has some good restaurants and great activities. If you like the outdoors it has lots to offer as well as a pretty easy trip to 7 Springs and lots of places that are a great time. The downtown looks great and vibrant if you ask me. People seem VERY friendly out that way and we have driven to Greensburg for some business that could have been handled in Pittsburgh, but we preferred dealing with the people in Greensburg for the type of governmental business we were doing.

If you like city living and want to be close to a city, I wouldn't move there, but if you are just into visiting a city now and again I would consider it. It is a nice place and I can imagine living there and I am more of a city person.

As far as Billy's posts, I wouldn't really pay too much attention into someone that can't find anything to do after 5:00PM. There are plenty of little places to go and see, but if you need to be in a city, that is a different ballgame. Billy might be that type of person, but nothing to do in Greensburg is pretty silly IMHO.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,161 times
Greensburg has had a nice influx of new restaurants and bars in the last couple years -- One Eleven, J Corks, Headkeeper, Supper Club, and Solstice, to name a new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh