Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 07:51 AM

75 posts, read 140,647 times

Advertisements

I apologize if there is already a thread about this, but I honestly don't have time to go through all of the threads.

I am considering going with satellite tv and I'm looking for your opinions on which is better. Direct TV or The Dish.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Get broadband, build a HTPC, use Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime streaming, XBMC plugins, and a slew of video sites, disregard $100+ bill for cable every month.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 AM

1,349 posts, read 3,573,359 times
I'd go with FIOS instead if its available.

If you are set on satellite, to oversimplfy, Direct TV is better and DISH is cheaper. The big thing many people complain about directv is a very inflexible 2 year commitment and steep early termination fee. Its impossible or nearly impossible to talk or complain your way out of. So when you sign up, you are stuck with it. The initial deal on direct tv is usually pretty good, but it usually expires before your contract and then you are stuck with pretty expensive programming. If you call and complain periodically and make empty threats to cancel (this works with comcast and fios too) you can usually get some sort of promo applied to your account that makes it a little cheaper.

NFL Sunday Ticket is awesome if you care about that sort of thing. I loved it when I was out of the Pittsburgh market... now that I'm back in the area it wasn't worth the price.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:25 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times
I had Dish Network and really liked it. I had FIOS installed for the internet before the TV service was available, so I recently switched to it because the bundle made it all cheaper. The worst part to me is that they don't take the frickin' dish off of your house when you cancel. That's the only thing I didn't like about satellite tv. The dish needs to point to the south and unfortunately my house is south-facing. So the it was right out front and looked ugly. But, I liked the service I got from Dish Network, and felt that their customer service was quite good whenever I called them.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:15 PM

2,001 posts, read 2,512,450 times
Direct TV has the satellites way higher than Dish (a worker @ Dish told me). i had direct Tv than i wanted to switch, you know, to get the promotion deal and everything, only that the dish guy couldn;t get signal because of the trees in the back of the house. I asked how is it possible since i had Direct Tv and this is what he told me.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:25 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,655,620 times
Currently, I have Dish, and I have had no problems with it whatsoever. The customer service has been great. I cant speak for Direct TV, because I have never had them. I got Dish because I was able to bundle that with my Internet and phone.

Old 10-27-2011, 04:58 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Direct TV has the satellites way higher than Dish (a worker @ Dish told me). i had direct Tv than i wanted to switch, you know, to get the promotion deal and everything, only that the dish guy couldn;t get signal because of the trees in the back of the house. I asked how is it possible since i had Direct Tv and this is what he told me.

No.

All communication satellites are located in the Clarke Belt 23,600 miles away from us. They are positioned in a geostationary arc 9 degrees apart from each other.

Directv, and Dish network satellites are intermingled between 101W degrees, and roughly 127W degrees. That entire area is pretty close to the top of the arc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh