Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
And even then, Oakland isn't very much like University City. Given the differences in size, density, and culture, it's tough to make direct comparisons between the two cities.
you have to caveat everything of course, but there are definitely similarities between the two (CMU/Pitt va Penn/Drexel). both make up the second largest employment centers in their respective cities, are home to large hospital systems, etc. one is separated by a hill, the other a river. I don't think there's anything wrong in comparing the two so long as you don't expect an exact replica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
I think the poster is thinking about the look of the residential area. Philly is the rowhouse king, and the North Side is full of rowhouses, which indeed, gives it a bit of a Philly like fee. The Mexican War Streets area would fit seamlessly into any of the areas surrounding Center City.
exactly, and many of the rowhomes are from the same time periods. that's what I meant by feel. there are other similarities as well, its location just north of downtown, proximity to a riverfront trails, a park, etc. comparing any two cities is not an exact science but these two areas probably compare more easily than many other parts of these repective cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,893,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
this is incorrect, it DOES matter, and yes it is the closest in look, feel, and location. the north shore looks and feels nothing like fairmount/spring garden. Oakland is more similar to university city. last I checked, the north side had museums and cultural attractions as well as a park and popular riverfront trail. does it mean it's the right place or the best place for the OP? no, but I thought it might be of interest to the OP.
I'm sorry North Oakland feels far and away more like the Art Museum Residential area than the North Side....Bigelow Blvd and Bayard Street all the way into Shadyside.....Not all of Oakland gives off the Student Ghetto vibe.

And I what I meant by "Doesn't Matter" was the North Shore to North Side distinction.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Given the differences in size, density, and culture, it's tough to make direct comparisons between the two cities.
Indeed, and that is also why you can get more than one possible comparison depending on which factors you are emphasizing.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
And I what I meant by "Doesn't Matter" was the North Shore to North Side distinction.
They matter only in that they're different things.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:07 AM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
you have to caveat everything of course, but there are definitely similarities between the two (CMU/Pitt va Penn/Drexel). both make up the second largest employment centers in their respective cities, are home to large hospital systems, etc. one is separated by a hill, the other a river. I don't think there's anything wrong in comparing the two so long as you don't expect an exact replica.
Oh, they're definitely comparable, but FWIW, I found Oakland to be much more liveable. University City has made a lot of strides in recent years, but Oakland is still cleaner and safer, albeit a bit less "hip." UC is also fairly uniformly dense. It particularly lacks a section equivalent to North Oakland (rows of midrise luxury apartments, large single family homes).

Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 PM

2,043 posts, read 5,052,572 times
27 years old? Hmmm, I'd rent in either Squirrel Hill or Friendship.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:45 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Oh, they're definitely comparable, but FWIW, I found Oakland to be much more liveable. University City has made a lot of strides in recent years, but Oakland is still cleaner and safer, albeit a bit less "hip." UC is also fairly uniformly dense. It particularly lacks a section equivalent to North Oakland (rows of midrise luxury apartments, large single family homes).
yes, please don't mistake comparable for identical. I suppose you could count the midrise apartments and a twins in spruce hill as the comparable for north oakland. on the whole, though, I would say yes, UC is as good a way to describe oakland to a philadelphian as any. cleaner, safer, and less hip ucity is a meaningful description. I'm not saying one is better than another or some other contest, I'm trying to make useful comparisons based on the OP's background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
I'm sorry North Oakland feels far and away more like the Art Museum Residential area than the North Side....Bigelow Blvd and Bayard Street all the way into Shadyside.....Not all of Oakland gives off the Student Ghetto vibe.
and not all of west philly around ucity does either but that doesn't mean it looks or feels like the art museum area. the north side does, similar architecture, density, and amenities though it definitely has fewer hangouts than fairmount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty View Post
and I guess mcfadden's isn't significantly different than the monterrey pub?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
yes, please don't mistake comparable for identical. I suppose you could count the midrise apartments and a twins in spruce hill as the comparable for north oakland. on the whole, though, I would say yes, UC is as good a way to describe oakland to a philadelphian as any. cleaner, safer, and less hip ucity is a meaningful description. I'm not saying one is better than another or some other contest, I'm trying to make useful comparisons based on the OP's background.
West Phila. near Penn is cooler than Oakland because of all the dogs. Can you imagine all those dogs in Oakland?

Old 11-01-2011, 02:32 PM

9,331 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
yes, please don't mistake comparable for identical. I suppose you could count the midrise apartments and a twins in spruce hill as the comparable for north oakland. on the whole, though, I would say yes, UC is as good a way to describe oakland to a philadelphian as any. cleaner, safer, and less hip ucity is a meaningful description.
Nor am I suggesting you're equating "comparable" with "identical." Your descriptions are pretty spot-on. I'm just throwing in my two cents in, so the OP can get the best information possible.

Quote:
I'm not saying one is better than another or some other contest, I'm trying to make useful comparisons based on the OP's background.
Oh, for sure. Both have their respective advantages and disadvantages. But I think the main difference is that it's a bit harder to isolate yourself from undergrads and the undergrad culture in Oakland, which could be a good thing or a bad thing, depending on the OP's personal preferences. There's a reason most Pitt/CMU grad students commute from Shadyside or Squirrel Hill.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:04 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,094,835 times
Quote:
and I guess mcfadden's isn't significantly different than the monterrey pub?
Shhhhhh...about the onterey-may ub-pay, it's hard enough to get a drink there sometimes as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh