U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 AM

1,237 posts, read 863,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Like it, or not, the image of Pittsburgh to many outsiders, especially those who believe simple stereotypes, is of a rough, tough city, still mired in it's industrial past, and fanatical in their support of the "Stillers." It's obviously a simple -minded and, outdated viewpoint, but still held by many when the only time they see Pittsburgh on TV is during an NFL, or Pitt football game.
You took the words out of my mouth. As for the TV part, it isn't just during the games either. The local news coverage of the Black and Gold is really over the top. Especially with WPXI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:01 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,232,886 times
I didn't know anyone actually watched local news anymore?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM

264 posts, read 228,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
People who do that with the Steelers give me the impression that they're filling some sort of massive void in their lives with it.
How is it different than the people who go crazy decorating their house for Halloween or Christmas? Are they filling a massive void too by being so showy? What about the ones who put large election-related signs on their property, or hang a giant American flag out front? Maybe we should just outlaw having a passion and displaying it on one's property or person, lest anyone get offended by the "tackiness".

Old 11-01-2011, 11:05 AM

1,482 posts, read 1,317,865 times
I'm a huge Steelers fan, but I remember local news breaking into network programming with a Special Report announcing that the Steelers had just signed their 1rst round draft pick. It is great to have team spirit in a city, but for non-fans, too much can get tiring.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:08 AM

1,445 posts, read 883,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
This happens in every single city in the US. It is absolutely not Pittsburgh specific.
It is bigger here than in a lot of places. My company is based in Silicon Valley and the people from there who visit here are often mystified why everyone here wears team colors and that there's Steelers stuff everywhere. The '49ers and the Raiders are popular but they don't dominate culture (and fashion) the way that they do here.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
I didn't know anyone actually watched local news anymore?
Exactly. If people want to sit there and watch 30 minutes of commercials, weather, and rehashed sports news...with the occasional murder or house fire to report on, then they probably deserve to be bitter about most of the coverage.

It's 2011 folks, you can now choose what to read/watch and what to skip over thanks to this wonderful thing called the Internet.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:44 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,703,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd love to hear from some of the Michigan residents in Pittsburgh...just to see if it's at a whole other level or not.
I think the overall level of sports fanaticism is similar, with the Steelers being more prominent in Pittsburgh than the Lions in Detroit because of the Steelers recent history of success.

And in fact if the Lions ever started winning Superbowls, the resulting Lions fanaticism in Detroit might put the current level of Steelers fanaticism in Pittsburgh to shame.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:53 AM

768 posts, read 520,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestLibertyAve View Post
Exactly. If people want to sit there and watch 30 minutes of commercials, weather, and rehashed sports news...with the occasional murder or house fire to report on, then they probably deserve to be bitter about most of the coverage.

It's 2011 folks, you can now choose what to read/watch and what to skip over thanks to this wonderful thing called the Internet.
Don't forget you get celebrity gossip on there too, which should really be shows like Entertainment Tonight.

I get 95% of my news from various internet sites. Occasionally I'll watch the local news but it's mostly to hear the weather report.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM

20,274 posts, read 18,703,640 times
To answer the OP's question, I don't think it makes much of a difference. For good or ill people have been distracting themselves with entertainment for all of human history, and football is not notably better or worse than most other forms of popular entertainment.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
And in fact if the Lions ever started winning Superbowls, the resulting Lions fanaticism in Detroit might put the current level of Steelers fanaticism in Pittsburgh to shame.
The Lions are much like the Pirates, they've been so bad and so mismanaged for so long...even if they have a great season or two, as soon as they start slipping again, they'll lose all the bandwagon fans they just picked up...I don't really consider that true fanaticism...more of just getting caught up in the hype.

There are a few teams that have maintained a rabid following despite years of ineptitude (see: Cleveland Browns, Buffalo Bills, Toronto Maple Leafs, pre-2004 BoSox)...but for the most part fans are incredibly fickle unless there's a winning product on the field year in, year out.

I see Detroit Lions fans being more along the lines of Cincinnati Bengals' fans circa 2005. Finally a playoff caliber team, the whole city gets on board, the stadium sells out, suddenly Bengals fans everywhere you look. And then a few years later, when they've reverted to their old ways, the fans are back to wearing paper bags over their heads at the stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh