Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 11:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Jacoby Ellsbury. Drafted about ten picks later. No one in their right mind would pick McCuthen over him. Jay Bruce of the Reds has more power. Drafted right behind McCutchen. Both play center like our "star".

Still I am shocked that we picked 11th.

Well, Ellsbury had a monster year this year so the comparison is admittedly tougher, but their career numbers are very similar, with McCutchen playing 80 fewer games or so. The biggest difference is the 3 years in their age, with Ellsbury playing this year @28 (peak) while McCutchen was still just 25 (pre-peak). McCutchen has had a much better first two years of games in MLB (first 1000 AB or so) than Ellsbury did, but Jacoby certainly had the better year this year.

Bruce is a totally different kind of player. He can play CF, but really he's a corner outfielder. He's got more MLB games played but still a lower .OPS and McCutchen is the better defender plying a premium position.

FWIW, the ESPN composite player rater had McCutchen at #27 last year, with Ellsbury @ #5 and Bruce at #97.

You can legitimately question many of the Pirates draft picks over the years but not McCutchen. I think you're being too hard on him and he's a legitimate All-Star, even if every team wasn't required to have a rep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 11:31 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,940,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Their young players like Andrew McCutcheon, Pedro Alvaraez, Jose Tabata, and Neil Walker need to continue to improve.
Andrew McCutcheon has some room for improvement, but he hit a lot better in the second half than he did in the first. For me at least, Pedro Alvaraez might make a decent outfielder once he improves his bat, but at 3rd base....no way. Not after Josh Harrison showed what he's capable of.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,692,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Andrew McCutcheon has some room for improvement, but he hit a lot better in the second half than he did in the first. For me at least, Pedro Alvaraez might make a decent outfielder once he improves his bat, but at 3rd base....no way. Not after Josh Harrison showed what he's capable of.
This is not correct. Cutch hit .291 in the first half and made the all star team. He batted ~.223 in the second half.

Pedro is not an outfielder - if anything he will eventually transition to first base, provided that he finds his bat.

Also, not sure exactly what Josh Harrison "showed what he's capable of". Josh had average defense and an OK average, but had no power. You can't have an OPS of .650 and be a legitimate starting third basemen.

The bucs will have to fill positions at catcher, 1b, SS, and in the rotation, all from free agency. The pirates track record with free agent signings makes me extremely nervous about this. It should be an interesting off season.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Well, Ellsbury had a monster year this year so the comparison is admittedly tougher, but their career numbers are very similar, with McCutchen playing 80 fewer games or so. The biggest difference is the 3 years in their age, with Ellsbury playing this year @28 (peak) while McCutchen was still just 25 (pre-peak). McCutchen has had a much better first two years of games in MLB (first 1000 AB or so) than Ellsbury did, but Jacoby certainly had the better year this year.

Bruce is a totally different kind of player. He can play CF, but really he's a corner outfielder. He's got more MLB games played but still a lower .OPS and McCutchen is the better defender plying a premium position.

FWIW, the ESPN composite player rater had McCutchen at #27 last year, with Ellsbury @ #5 and Bruce at #97.

You can legitimately question many of the Pirates draft picks over the years but not McCutchen. I think you're being too hard on him and he's a legitimate All-Star, even if every team wasn't required to have a rep.
I have nothing against him, the Pirates and the media march him out there as proof of their draft success. This I have problem with because he isn't exactly the best player in that year's draft. Then again that is all we have in Pittsburgh.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,940,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
This is not correct. Cutch hit .291 in the first half and made the all star team. He batted ~.223 in the second half.

Pedro is not an outfielder - if anything he will eventually transition to first base, provided that he finds his bat.

Also, not sure exactly what Josh Harrison "showed what he's capable of". Josh had average defense and an OK average, but had no power. You can't have an OPS of .650 and be a legitimate starting third basemen.
Cutch improved greatly in mid August and September, after a weak start to the second half. How can you say that about Josh Harrison? He runs like a deer, hits well in clutch situations and isn't afraid to put his body on the line to turn a play.

The bottom line is that we were in first place for a good portion of the first half until Pedro, Ronnie, and Ryan returned. That fractured the momentum. As for lack of power, what does it matter if nobody on the squad hits more than 30 home runs....provided they're winning? The 60' season was a perfect example of how "small ball" can be successful.

Old 11-04-2011, 08:02 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times
Cutch may have to leave Pgh to become a great player, how could anyone flourish in this environment? But, man, do I love to watch that guy run the bases and track down fly balls.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Cutch may have to leave Pgh to become a great player, how could anyone flourish in this environment? But, man, do I love to watch that guy run the bases and track down fly balls.
It amazes me he is still here. I know if I were him, I would be trying to leave and get on a team that has owners looking to do well.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:50 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,692,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It amazes me he is still here. I know if I were him, I would be trying to leave and get on a team that has owners looking to do well.
He is under contract - why wouldn't he still be here? He's not expensive yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh