U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2011, 12:53 PM

233 posts, read 358,754 times

Advertisements

I am going to be moving to Harmar soon and I am looking at acquiring new cable and internet service that won't cost me around the $110 bill that I am currently getting from Comcast. When I first moved to Pittsburgh about 7 years ago, I called around and it seemed that Comcast was the only server. But I have heard that that has changed recently. Can you chime in if you can help out.

I am thinking of Directv, but do they have internet service or do I have to get a landline, which I don't need?

Does Satelite servers like Directv lose service often with bad weather like snow or rain?

I heard of Verizon Fios. how is the service, do they have a good internet and cable package?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 08:25 PM

830 posts, read 1,116,159 times
FiOS is great. We love it.
For around the same price as Comcast, you get a lot more bang for the buck with Verizon.
I am thinking the Harmar area has a smaller cable company providing service too, but I can't remember the name.
FiOS is not available in all areas as of yet. You can get a DSL line from Verizon for internet service which is a lot cheaper, but if FiOS becomes available, they switch you over automatically and you will pay a higher price.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:34 PM

How much is your FIOS bill and what do you get for it?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 AM

830 posts, read 1,116,159 times
Mine with taxes comes to around $112.
No extras like movie channels or anything, but a heck of a lot of channels including extra music, PPVs and 15/3 internet speed. We don't have phone service, but it is still considered a "bundle" package. I can tell you this, when comparing the price to Comcast's package, many more channels included with FiOS for less.
You can look at Verizon.com and see the many packages and options available.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:34 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,082,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
How much is your FIOS bill and what do you get for it?
I pay around $124 with tax for the FiOS HD Extreme package (everything but movie channels) and 25mbps/25mbps internet service.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:08 PM

Anyone with Directv??? Do they have internet service now? And how much is a normal bill like?

Old 11-06-2011, 03:27 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,250,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8 View Post
Anyone with Directv??? Do they have internet service now? And how much is a normal bill like?
Had them just for cable and paid $100 bucks a month for nothing special. Also you don't want satellite internet service, the bandwidth is low and the prices aren't worth it.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,000,535 times
Directv doesn't have internet service so you have to get that seperate. You can get a discount at some internet providers with your directv but its varies regionally what the specifics are. In Baltimore, I could get a deal on verizon dsl with my directv but FIOS wasn't available there. You do not need a landline for directv although I think you do need one to order PPV (and maybe on demand content).

I was happy with directv for the most part, the big negatives it was relatively expensive and locks you into a 2 year contract that you can't get out of except for possibly faking your own death. The only time I had trouble with the service for more than a minute or so was when there was a ton of snow falling quick and it built up on the dish. You do need to have the dish installed with a clear line of sight to the southern sky.

All in all, I agree that FIOS is the best choice for service quality and price.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:25 PM

2,306 posts, read 4,771,604 times
FiOS is not available everywhere. I know that down here in the Mon Valley, most areas don't have it (i.e. White Oak, McKeesport, Clairton, and Elizabeth). I'm not sure about the rest of the county (Allegheny) or Pittsburgh. But here, Comcast is really the only option (unless you want DSL from Verizon...which is slower by quite a bit).

Old 11-08-2011, 02:33 PM

2,163 posts, read 2,696,799 times
Fios is expanding neighborhood by neighborhood. My friends in the Bloomfield have it, but it's not available in Shadyside yet. They love it. Comcast is totally out of control, price-wise, and I'm thinking of scaling back or dropping it. With digital TV, you can get about 20 over-the-air channels withour cable. But I will miss favorite cable channels. People more adept than I at computers know how to stream Internet shows on their TVs. I have no idea how to go about doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh