Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2011, 04:30 PM

374 posts, read 796,056 times

Advertisements

GCC wins 3-1 over Springdale and heads into the state playoffs 20-0...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 07:16 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,967,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Paradise View Post
GCC wins 3-1 over Springdale and heads into the state playoffs 20-0...
Who cares? Springdale is a normal school that is restricted by boundaries. Greensburg CC has no boundaries and can being kids from all over. We deal with Central Catholic in sports in Pittsburgh as well. Sure they have great sports, but the SAT scores are lower than Fox Chapel's. I looked into that. What does that tell you? It is all about recruiting however they can get to win sporting events. As far as academics goes, for a private school they are the bottom of the heap.

Congratulations though. You beat up on little Springdale that is pulling kids from that tiny' area. I am sure you feel great pride!.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,798 times
Yeah, but that is true for any private school. If it is really an unfair advantage, the WPIAL should redo the divisions so that private schools and public schools are in separate divisions.

I can't imagine that Greensburg Central Catholic does much recruiting for any sport with the exception of football. However, I can imagine that kids that are standouts in a particular sport might opt to go to a private school that has a good reputation and program in their sport of choice.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Yeah, but that is true for any private school.
I don't know of another private school that runs itself like a sports complex other than Central Catholic, but I suspect Greensburg CC is learning from them in sports as it grows. I know Central recruits in a bunch of sports. They run it like a college sports school, but the advantage in sports is unfair because they play against schools that must only get their players from within districts. I think it is kind of sick that they run a school like that at the high school level. Even in college, I think it is sad, but it is what it is.

I am sure your HS will do great playing against all the public schools. It is a great advantage that is no doubt enjoyed by the students and especially the cheering parents.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:00 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,798 times
I don't know if it is fair to extrapolate that Greensburg Central Catholic heavily recruits for its sports programs simply because another parochial school with a similar name in a different diocese does. While I do not know that it is untrue, it seems like a baseless accusation.

I do know that GCC "stole" their star quarterback away from the Kiski Area School District, where he was sitting on the bench and not allowed to play QB due to his physical handicap: East Xtra: Greensburg Central Catholic's quarterback plays all out despite limited use of left arm

Sure, private schools pull kids from outside their district, that's just the way it is; however, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are actively recruiting.

I wonder how many people from low-income areas feel that Fox Chapel has an unfair advantage in certain sports, as the parents in FC are more likely to be able to afford private tennis lessons and ice time for their children.

I do agree with your sentiment that sometimes people can take high school sports a bit too seriously. People, especially parents, need to keep things in perspective. Yet, at the same time, parents and the community should be proud of their kids' achievements. Congratulations to the GCC Girl's Soccer team, and good luck at the state playoffs!

Last edited by Kippy; 11-06-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 AM

374 posts, read 796,056 times
I totally agree that is unfair to compare GCC to Central Catholic of Pittsburgh... Our school is a very small Catholic school that actually pulls most of it's players due to it's academics and secondary it's sports. Personally my children go there for the academics and the small town/family feel the current administration has created... plus the fact that my children are # 14 & 15 family members that have attended this school over the past 30 years.

Regardless of the reasons why I love the school... this years girls soccer team really worked hard to be undefeated especially considering that this team only has 15 players TOTAL... no JV team. 138 goals for and only 9 against...

Old 11-06-2011, 10:11 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Who cares? Springdale is a normal school that is restricted by boundaries. Greensburg CC has no boundaries and can being kids from all over.
Yet all they have are 15 players...
yeah, real heavy recruiting going on there

Sounds like serious sour grapes.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:49 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Yet all they have are 15 players...
yeah, real heavy recruiting going on there

Sounds like serious sour grapes.
Nah, it is just h.s.sports. Not really that big of a deal and parents need to be on the sidelines not living through their kids. Just fun sports, not recruiting crap that is destroying college and is slowly filtering down into the high school level. Not a good thing.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:23 PM

315 posts, read 665,106 times
Yeah I hate Greensburg CC. So cheap they can compete in WPIAL. Nothing to brag about OP
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh