U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 AM
gg

11,295 posts, read 7,482,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Keeping up with the Jones puts kids at a social disadvantage in Fox Chapel. I know Curtis will argue with me about this but it's true.
Funny, I just asked my son about that today. He looked at me like I was from Pluto and asked me what was I talking about. Maybe way back when you were in school it was some big deal to prance around looking rich, but it seems this generation is much more excepting of whatever and kids don't care. Most of that is parenting, not kid stuff at school.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 12:01 PM

42,581 posts, read 47,857,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Funny, I just asked my son about that today. He looked at me like I was from Pluto and asked me what was I talking about. Maybe way back when you were in school it was some big deal to prance around looking rich, but it seems this generation is much more excepting of whatever and kids don't care. Most of that is parenting, not kid stuff at school.
I'm not talking about how the children treat each other. I'm talking about not being able to afford to participate in activities and similar interests. The wealthy children's stronger friendships are among the children whose parents can afford for them to pay for expensive hobbies, activities or interests. The ones who can't afford to join them regularly are more acquaintences or friends of convenience.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM
gg

Quote:
I'm not talking about how the children treat each other. I'm talking about not being able to afford to participate in activities and similar interests. The wealthy children's stronger friendships are among the children whose parents can afford for them to pay for expensive hobbies, activities or interests. The ones who can't afford to join them regularly are more acquaintences or friends of convenience.
I am having a difficult time thinking of an activities that are super expensive. Hockey might be one, but there aren't that many that cost that much. Skiing isn't even all that expensive. Of course if a family is paycheck to paycheck and with nothing to spare, of course they might get left out, but if the kid is a nice kid, don't be surprised if another parent pays for them. Plenty of generous folks around IF the poorer child is respectful and thankful to others, especially the adults that may pay for them. Anyway, at $150K for a home, they are not poor. You can live pretty weil in the district for that if you know how to handle money.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
I am having a difficult time thinking of an activities that are super expensive. Hockey might be one, but there aren't that many that cost that much. Skiing isn't even all that expensive.
I'm surprised you're challenged to come up with a longer list. LOL Maybe you're children aren't as active or you restrict them to a certain number of activities per year. But my children were involved in multiple concurrent activities that were expensive. Entire families could live on what I paid out for my children's activities and interests. Of course, few things are expensive if only done a couple of times per year, but they're classified as just outings, not activities and interests.

Quote:
...but if the kid is a nice kid, don't be surprised if another parent pays for them. Plenty of generous folks around IF the poorer child is respectful and thankful to others, especially the adults that may pay for them.
That's why I said "the ones who can't afford to join them regularly are more acquaintences or friends of convenience." Wealthy parents do pay on occassion, but they rarely take on fully supporting a friend's participation in everthing. They'll pay for a child to join them on vacation. They'll treat them to a ski weekend. They'll pay for an occassional outing. But they don't pay for other people's children on a daily basis, which the type of interaction that makes close lifelong friendships.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:37 PM
gg

Quote:
But my children were involved in multiple concurrent activities that were expensive.
I think times have changed. I see lots of kids in very little activities. Sure my son is in some and I would venture to say he has about two months off a year if he is lucky, so he is very busy, but it isn't really expensive. I mean total costs are probably less than 4K-5K a year and I suspect he is on the high end of kids in the district. Many are probably closer to 2K a year for activities.

Old 11-06-2011, 01:51 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,421,899 times
My aunt isn't terribly well off, but my cousin (who just went off to college this year) used to hang out with some sports players kid and their social group and traveled internationally with them and got to do all the things his parents couldn't afford to do with him.

Sometimes you fall in with just the right crowd.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I think times have changed. I see lots of kids in very little activities. Sure my son is in some and I would venture to say he has about two months off a year if he is lucky, so he is very busy, but it isn't really expensive. I mean total costs are probably less than 4K-5K a year and I suspect he is on the high end of kids in the district. Many are probably closer to 2K a year for activities.
There are many interests that are ongoing with no time off. How could time change when it's in the here and now? I'm still raising children! LOL You and I lived and still live different lives. Anyways, this is all off topic. I forwarned the OP that you would disagree. She's quite capable of forming her own conclusions without our needing to get a room, as Yac would say.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
My aunt isn't terribly well off, but my cousin (who just went off to college this year) used to hang out with some sports players kid and their social group and traveled internationally with them and got to do all the things his parents couldn't afford to do with him.

Sometimes you fall in with just the right crowd.
True. But it's not the norm, especially in a district with more old money than new money (sports player). There's no reason to gamble when chosing a school district.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:52 PM
gg

Quote:
There's no reason to gamble when chosing a school district.
In reality if that is the case, FC and Mt. Lebo would be my top two choices. I don't think I would look beyond them to be honest.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 PM
gg

Quote:
How could time change when it's in the here and now? I'm still raising children! LOL
You stated earlier: "I know all three areas very well. I grew up in Fox Chapel. I live in Hampton."

That being said, your familiarity isn't all that great with FC anymore. You are justifying your move to Hampton. I like Hampton, but for a same sex couple? Maybe, but it is a little more yinzer than the borough and yinzer isn't good for such a family, IMHO. I do like Hampton though and think they have a good school with pretty good kids overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh