Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 AM

2,336 posts, read 7,778,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The only way that I've found jobs in the last decade is through friends and ex-coworkers. I know that doesn't really help anyone who doesn't have a lot of network ties in the area but that does seem to be the way that Pittsburgh works.
I completely agree with this! Most of the job postings for the Pittsburgh area are low-wage positions. When I lived in FL and NY....there was a much greater diversity in the positions being offered. And it is not just because Pittsburgh's population is smaller. It is because Pittsburgh utilizes friends and family as the main means to fill open positions. Maybe this is because Pittsburgh residents tend to have some ties here as oppossed to people who move here without any personal/professional connections.

Outside of this friends & family network, the best bet are large companies (like UPMC, PNC, Highmark, etc.) and government jobs (which is what I was able to land...but the pay is incredibly low )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 12:26 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,299,617 times
I highly disagree with this "networking" thing and this is why: What networking does is reducing the number of candidates for a job; WHY? Simple, because not everybody is free to attend these events. So anyone with a family cannot attend, unless they spend money on baby sitters or daycare, which is not free for the unemployed! (probably against "employers" belief!)

I think networking only works for the single population, or MEN, who's wives don't work because they don't want, or have to. So their free to roam these events undisturbed!

Also, networking if for the "bragging mouths" as far as I see it, because it also depends on one's personality; if one is introverted and not into speaking "greatly" about themselves, then they have literally no chance of getting a job through 'networking"!

Then, network where? what demographic has ample time to spend online on Linked In? are they NOT working? are they really doing nothing all day but chat on that website? who's working then?

IMO This networking is "promoted" as a weed through the crowds method of screening and nothing else. I say that because I am going to make a valid assumption that at least 40 resumes received by an HR manager MATCH the requirements for "a" job. BUT Not all 40 look presentable, are readily available, are willing to work for peanuts, or are not overweight! there...so...this is flat out used to screen and nothing more, if you match their type...Think Friends the episode where Chandler's keep getting a slap on the butt from his boss....then you're good to go...if not...tough S***! eat your unemployment up, or starve.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:19 PM

440 posts, read 549,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I highly disagree with this "networking" thing and this is why: What networking does is reducing the number of candidates for a job; WHY? Simple, because not everybody is free to attend these events. So anyone with a family cannot attend, unless they spend money on baby sitters or daycare, which is not free for the unemployed! (probably against "employers" belief!)

I think networking only works for the single population, or MEN, who's wives don't work because they don't want, or have to. So their free to roam these events undisturbed!

Also, networking if for the "bragging mouths" as far as I see it, because it also depends on one's personality; if one is introverted and not into speaking "greatly" about themselves, then they have literally no chance of getting a job through 'networking"!

Then, network where? what demographic has ample time to spend online on Linked In? are they NOT working? are they really doing nothing all day but chat on that website? who's working then?

IMO This networking is "promoted" as a weed through the crowds method of screening and nothing else. I say that because I am going to make a valid assumption that at least 40 resumes received by an HR manager MATCH the requirements for "a" job. BUT Not all 40 look presentable, are readily available, are willing to work for peanuts, or are not overweight! there...so...this is flat out used to screen and nothing more, if you match their type...Think Friends the episode where Chandler's keep getting a slap on the butt from his boss....then you're good to go...if not...tough S***! eat your unemployment up, or starve.
Algia, networking works. It seems you have a real problem understanding how to use tools to help you succeed. You DO NOT have to go to events and brag about yourself. Also Linked In is primarily used to keep a contact with poeple AFTER YOU MEET THEM.

I got my current job from the guy who works at my local gas station. I would just chit chat with him while I was paying for my drink and gas in the morning. One day he introduced me to another man , we talked, I added him on linked in.. with in two days I got a interview with my current employee-- a ex college friend of his. That is networking, getting your pitch out there to the public, not going to hour long events

Old 11-08-2011, 06:48 PM

783 posts, read 2,021,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This is why I immediately ignore the advice of some on this sub-forum who really champion me becoming a permatemp because I see how this set-up has NOT benefited my partner or many of our mutual friends in similar situations.
I've pushed the temp job myself, but never as a permanent solution. The good thing about temp jobs is that they will hire almost immediately and most temp agencies pay weekly. This is a good way for desperate people to get a paycheck quickly, rather than wait 2, 3, 4 months for a better, real, job. Typically, if you go to a temp agencies on a Monday they will set you up with interviews by Wednesday and you will be hired and start the following week. Can't beat that. I don't think anyone should go into a temp position with the idea of retiring from the place, but for 3 months it's not a bad option to go to one until something more solid comes up.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,934,506 times
I don't live in the Pittsburgh metro, but i do live in a metro that i consider to be a much tougher area to find a job............Youngstown. I got my first real job in 1999, working for an automotive supplier, through a lottery system. Basically if you worked there the company would pull social security numbers (at random) of employees and if yours is pulled you get to recommend one person for a job. My cousin got hers pulled and then recommended me. After making it through several rounds of testing, interviews, etc I made the cut.

After i left that job i finished up my degree in Business Management in 2008. Of course, because of the economy at that time (and now) i had a lot of trouble finding a decent job. A friend of mine was doing a internship at a nursing home (thanks to another mom in her community) and they hired her in full-time to do insurance billing. This same friend decided to have a Super Bowl party at her house and i was invited, along w/the billing manager for the nursing home. After hitting it off w/the manager and my friend explaining that i just graduated w/a business degree the manager asked for my resume which she passed onto the owner of the nursing home. It's a long story, but i ended up getting hired to do collections at $11/hr plus benefits. After about 8 months i moved into a position at the company's new assisted living facility where i took on a lot more work and responsibility and ended up making $12.50/hr, not exactly the type of money i was wanting to make, but it was something and it paid my bills.

Obviously making $12.50 at a job where i was going no where was very frustrating. Then after finding out that the receptionist in our nursing facility (who had less responsibility, less work and no college) was making the same amount that i was i decided it was time to make a change.

I started casually applying for jobs over a year ago via the internet. I had phone interview, a computer test and two in person interviews at Verizon's customer service call center (they start out at $13/hr) and didn't get the job (thank god!). I had an online test and phone interview for an accounts receivable position at V&M Star Steel (a company that is building a new steel mill in Youngstown and hiring a lot of fresh out of college people), but then got a reject letter. I also had an interview for a quality engineering technician position at a small manufacturing company 30 miles nw of here (i have a varied work history as you can probably tell). After a few follow-up phone calls I also got a very complementary reject letter.

About two or three months ago I got more serious about finding a new job, i began searching for jobs via OhioMeansJobs.com where they pull from a ton of different sites. I only applied to jobs in the Youngstown area, i applied for accounts receivable positions at other long term care facilities, sent resumes for secretarial positions, shipping and receiving jobs, etc and heard nothing.

One job that i applied for only had a two or three line description and it asked that the applicant email their resume and that it was an accounting assistant position at a local steel mill (I think it also listed a pay scale of $10-$12/hr). I emailed the resume and didn't think anything else about it. Then out of the blue the HR manager for the company called and asked me to come in for an interview. Well, long story short i interviewed with three people that day, then a week later had an interview w/the company president, and the next day they asked for references. Two weeks later I was offered the job and I said yes without even knowing the pay rate! LOL Well as it turns out the job pays $15/hr (which is pretty good money around here), has great benefits, gain sharing, 401k, etc. Not to mention most of the employees there are over 55 and they are looking to retire within the next few years, so there will be lots of opportunity for advancement. I cannot even begin to describe how happy I am.

I should also mention that I was told that my company usually hires temps to try people out, but they were having trouble finding good people, which they found surprising in this economy. They interviewed several people before and after me, but something about me must have impressed them.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:07 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcityrising View Post
i actually had to chuckle at a recent south park episode in which cartman was tasked with trying to prevent illegal immigrants from returning to mexico due to the horrid nature of the current u.s. Economy.
lol!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:55 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
What are you going to do with your kids if you do find a job?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:18 AM

255 posts, read 284,707 times
Well I've started my job search.

I'm looking for an entry-level accounting position, having just finished my bachelors in accounting. I have the 150 credits necessary for the CPA exam.

So far I've put in applications with 12 different companies and looked at many more to see if they were hiring.

I seem to be having the most luck in just using the companies website to see if they are hiring. Most of the job sites (like indeed) seem to want years of experience.
I am not going the temp route just yet. That will be a last resort.

Anyone else in the same shoes?

Old 12-27-2011, 06:45 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechCom View Post
Well I've started my job search.

I'm looking for an entry-level accounting position, having just finished my bachelors in accounting. I have the 150 credits necessary for the CPA exam.

So far I've put in applications with 12 different companies and looked at many more to see if they were hiring.

I seem to be having the most luck in just using the companies website to see if they are hiring. Most of the job sites (like indeed) seem to want years of experience.
I am not going the temp route just yet. That will be a last resort.

Anyone else in the same shoes?
Are you a recent grad or do you have a small amount of experience? Unfortunately in my experience you have to "pay your dues" before you are able to land a decent job in this area. What this meant for me is that I interned and had a (awful, low paying) job in my field before I graduated college. When I had my degree in my hand I had 2 years experience already and had plenty more opportunities at my disposal. In fact, since I got a head start I have been the youngest employee in nearly every office I have worked in.

I would attempt to get some sort of internship/low paying position related to your field for at least a year then look for a "real" job. It sucks, but I have seen many people have to "bite the bullet" and get positions well below their worth so it can hopefully work out later.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 AM

255 posts, read 284,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Are you a recent grad or do you have a small amount of experience? Unfortunately in my experience you have to "pay your dues" before you are able to land a decent job in this area. What this meant for me is that I interned and had a (awful, low paying) job in my field before I graduated college. When I had my degree in my hand I had 2 years experience already and had plenty more opportunities at my disposal. In fact, since I got a head start I have been the youngest employee in nearly every office I have worked in.

I would attempt to get some sort of internship/low paying position related to your field for at least a year then look for a "real" job. It sucks, but I have seen many people have to "bite the bullet" and get positions well below their worth so it can hopefully work out later.
Thanks! No I don't have any work experience in my field. I tried to get a job in accounting after I got my associates (in 2009), but the job market was so bad I just focused on getting my bachelors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: