U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 12:47 PM

6 posts, read 6,649 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have a 5-year-old son who was diagnosed with autism (PDD-NOS) a few years ago. We have tried a few conventional therapies and are looking for some one who specializes in alternative therapies (like biofeedback therapy) in the Pittsburgh (more specifically Mount Lebanon) area. I have searched online and have not located anyone that indicates they work with children.

Also, anyone have any advice as far as treatments for a kid with a combo PDD and ADHD label?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:28 PM

275 posts, read 391,784 times
If I may ask....how severe is the autism?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:10 PM

4,747 posts, read 3,133,234 times
Your tax dollars support a Bureau of Autism Services, which might be able to provide assistance to you.

Autism Services

Old 11-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
If I may ask....how severe is the autism?

He is high functioning but because of certain behavioral inconsistencies has had problems adjusting to mainstream schooling.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Your tax dollars support a Bureau of Autism Services, which might be able to provide assistance to you.

Autism Services

I am aware of this, but the system is not always a clear and concise road to take. Imagine making 100 phone calls and only having 2 returned in a two month span. So much for my tax dollars.

This is not a novice question. I am looking for alternative therapies that are not necessarily supported by the state. Only a handful of things are, and we are already on top of that.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 AM

5,037 posts, read 3,399,525 times
There's a school near me called the Watson Institute that welcomes autistic children. It's not in Mt. Lebanon, but there are a few different campuses.

The Watson Institute

Old 11-08-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
There's a school near me called the Watson Institute that welcomes autistic children. It's not in Mt. Lebanon, but there are a few different campuses.

The Watson Institute

Thanks. We already did an initial evaluation with Watson to recommend wraparound services, and will be consulting with those additional services once they are in place. I am trying to locate a practitioner or service provider that may be able to offer additional therapies that wraparound may not offer.

At this point, I just want to cover all bases and provide anything I can for my son to help him succeed.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:19 PM

275 posts, read 391,784 times
search the wpic website, and Dr. Marty Lubeski (sp?). He along with Dr. Minshew are experts in this area.

There are many innovative therapies but some are not researched and they may feel good but have no scientific validity.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts10yrs View Post
search the wpic website, and Dr. Marty Lubeski (sp?). He along with Dr. Minshew are experts in this area.

There are many innovative therapies but some are not researched and they may feel good but have no scientific validity.

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinpittsburgh View Post
My wife and I have a 5-year-old son who was diagnosed with autism (PDD-NOS) a few years ago. We have tried a few conventional therapies and are looking for some one who specializes in alternative therapies (like biofeedback therapy) in the Pittsburgh (more specifically Mount Lebanon) area. I have searched online and have not located anyone that indicates they work with children.

Also, anyone have any advice as far as treatments for a kid with a combo PDD and ADHD label?
What is biofeedback therapy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh