Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

Here is the story:

Philly firm in line to redevelop Downtown building

Quote:
PMC is proposing to convert the building, which houses City of Pittsburgh, URA, and city housing authority offices, into 100 residential units plus possible first-floor commercial space. It is offering $1 million for the building.
PMC is also doing the Verizon Building, and is also looking to convert the former Alcoa HQ (aka Regional Enterprise Tower) and Schenley HS.

Here is the building in this story (quite the gem, although somewhat awkward location with the Boulevard ramp adjacent):

John P. Robin Civic Building : 200 Ross Street, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania :: Glass Steel and Stone

We also talked about this a little bit when the RFQ went out:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...l#post18949345

Interestingly, they got three different bids for residential projects--proof, I think, that the market for residential Downtown remains very strong.

Last edited by BrianTH; 11-07-2011 at 08:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Now all I need is for PNC to hire me to work in its Firstside Center facility, and I'd be all set to snag one of those units!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM

Historic photos of what was once the Jones & Laughlin Building:

Apparently it was originally built as 8 stories in 1908, then 4 more stories were added in 1917. Here is the original building (in the background):

Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
I'd like to know who is buying all these new residences in town.

Presumably people that work in town as well, but all these new residences seem to be displacing offices and other facilities where people work. So it would seem as if the new residency projects are destroying their own market.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:34 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,820 times
Interesting.

City Planning is in that building as well. I interned there during the summer of 2010. Personally, I think the location would be better suited as small apartments/dorms for the nearby Art Institute or Point Park. However, I think the building is too architecturally interesting to let the come to pass. Honestly, I have mixed feelings about the location as there are only a few things in the IMMEDIATE area and it is located to a fairly seedy stretch in Second Avenue close to the county jail beneath the Boulevard of the Allies viaduct. Then again, it is a five minute walk to the First Avenue T station.

Another question though, where is the URA and all the city departments in the building relocating to? Honestly, I would KILL for a job with city planning. The folks that work there are truly the forward-thinkers within the city's administration.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
all these new residences seem to be displacing offices and other facilities where people work. So it would seem as if the new residency projects are destroying their own market.
A lot of these Class B and C office buildings in particular are underutilized, so as some are converted to residential, the office tenants can move into vacant spaces in other buildings.

Obviously eventually we would run out of space, but it would take a while, and during that time new office space can be built. PNC Tower is going to free up a bit of space as PNC collects offices from a variety of other buildings, and there are other possible build sites Downtown, plus the development areas in the North Shore and soon the Lower Hill.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Honestly, I have mixed feelings about the location as there are only a few things in the IMMEDIATE area and it is located to a fairly seedy stretch in Second Avenue close to the county jail beneath the Boulevard of the Allies viaduct. Then again, it is a five minute walk to the First Avenue T station.
There is potential for a cool little commercial area there (in the "Chinatown" section), and it would help if they actually built the planned hotel for the lot next to the Grant Building. But I would also think the proximity to the T is going to be a big selling point (even bigger if they make it a free zone from Station Square through the North Shore).

Old 11-08-2011, 06:14 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,894,970 times
All I have to say is PMC is not F***ing around, theyre serious about the Burgh.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,296 times
I've been watching that building, hoping someone would some day renovate it. It really is a gem! Glad to see its day has finally come! Gorgeous building!

Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
All I have to say is PMC is not F***ing around, theyre serious about the Burgh.
I've got no direct insight, but it really seems like they see Pittsburgh as providing an opportunity to redo what they did in Philly. Which is exciting (and hopefully it will mean other local developers start picking up the pace a bit).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh