U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM

4,710 posts, read 4,755,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Downtown is always going to have a huge daytime office surge, so will always have a different feel on nights and weekends than the commercial districts in primarily residential neighborhoods, because that sense of people-gone-missing won't entirely go away even as its local residential population increases.

That said, when you look at things like the current lineup of restaurants and bars in the Market Square/Cultural District area, or the local parks and other public spaces (kids love the fountain in PPG, for example), it is getting up there with our top residential neighborhoods. In that sense, I think you have to mentally adjust for the fundamentally different nature of Downtown in order to get a clear sense of the progress it has been making.
Just to piggy back - One has to also understand that not every corner of Downtown is going to be "Bustling, Thriving" @ night.

I expect the heavy office areas to remain pretty much sleepers after 6....i.e Grant Street, 7th Av to the Blvd of Allies above Smithfield. It's pretty much setting up for Below Smithfield to contain the after 6pm/Weekend activity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:00 AM

A lot of her wishes are the same as what we've been spouting out right here.

Quote:
New Girl in Town: A wish list for Pittsburgh

But just as a mother sees room for improvement in her kids, there are places where Pittsburgh can elevate its game. New York City has the Halal guys, young men in bright yellow tees manning sparkling-clean food carts serving platters of lamb and rice. Simple and sensational and five bucks feeds three. So why aren’t they in Pittsburgh? Probably because it wouldn’t work, since the Halal guys do most of their business between midnight and 4 a.m., when ‘burghers are sleeping.

So what could work in Pittsburgh? Well, it all starts downtown, where many have talked about the need for a grocery store in the Golden Triangle or recycling bins or affordable condos for purchase or rent. All that said, one thing downtown really needs are boutique hotels, the kinds of places created by Kimpton, masters of adaptive reuse (Hotel Palomar in Philly, New York and San Diego, for example).

They would glorify our historic city-center buildings and you can bet their lobby-level happy hour would be a scene rivaling a Warhol opening.

We could also use better wayfinding downtown, especially after dark. Maybe twinkling lights on trees in front of places open for business?
Quote:
Sprucing up downtown alleys is an idea that has taken hold in west coast cities such as Seattle and San Francisco. While Strawberry Way, tucked behind the U.S. Steel tower, uses an artistic light display to draw pedestrians in, there are many more alleys left to highlight. The Cultural Trust has used alleys to their advantage with live performances and more might be in store.

“From an urban standpoint, not all alleys are created equal,” says Dan Rothschild, principal at Rothschild Doyno Collaborative. “In the Cultural District, there are alleys where the pedestrian scale is right and the surrounding buildings can act as wallpaper. These alleys can be grand outdoor rooms filled with light and surface activity. First floors are opening up in the public realm and we need to focus where the density is, and that’s downtown.”

New Girl in Town: A wish list for Pittsburgh

Old 11-09-2011, 10:07 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,405,975 times
Having more street parking would help.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:14 AM

3,582 posts, read 2,190,024 times
The above comment about burghers all sleeping is being a bit out of touch with the city. There are plenty of areas packed with people into the wee hours of the night - they just mostly happen to be in city neighborhoods.
While I hope nothing but the best for the downtown golden triangle area, some people have an unhealthy obsession with that specific area.
There is nothing wrong with people choosing to go out to their local city neighborhood establishments to socialize rather then choosing to stay or go downtown to do so.
When/if downtown develops its own residents then it will flourish as well as it will be those people's local neighborhoods.
Chastising people for not going out downtown for their nightlife choice & then using it as a gauge for the city as a whole is very strange thinking.

Last edited by UKyank; 11-09-2011 at 10:37 AM..

Old 11-09-2011, 10:38 AM

1,445 posts, read 880,880 times
We go to concerts or theater events downtown fairly often and the cultural district area from the Convention Center down Penn to Sixth and over to Market Square is usually pretty busy in the evenings. I can't remember going to a restaurant downtown for dinner in the last few years when it wasn't packed. I realized that the Cultural District is only one corner of Downtown but you can't truthfully say that Downtown is dead in the evenings anymore.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:40 AM

799 posts, read 699,153 times
I do not understand the obsession with CBD nightlife and retail. Most CBDs in the US empty out after working hours. (e.g. LA) Regardless, Pittsburgh does have vibrant nightlife in various urban neighborhoods. As for the CBD, it packs in employees. Few CBDs in the Rust Belt can claim the same. Pittsburgh's job density is brilliant. I don't see a problem.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:48 AM

4,145 posts, read 5,187,233 times
Most of the time, local people in any community are the harshest critics when it comes to judging what it is like to live or visit their area. Sometimes an outsider can give a more unbiased view of an area if they don't go into it with any preconceived notions about whether or not it is good or bad before the get go.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalburgh View Post
I do not understand the obsession with CBD nightlife and retail. Most CBDs in the US empty out after working hours. (e.g. LA) Regardless, Pittsburgh does have vibrant nightlife in various urban neighborhoods. As for the CBD, it packs in employees. Few CBDs in the Rust Belt can claim the same. Pittsburgh's job density is brilliant. I don't see a problem.
If you ask me this is why Downtown Pittsburgh has to face a dynamic that's not seen in many other cities.....no city outside of NYC, SF, CHI offer both a Bustling/Vibrant Nightlife-filled CBD and Neighborhoods to boot....

But I don't want city neighborhoods to be killed at the expense of Propping up downtown...I don't think its possible anyway people are more attached to the neighborhoods in the Burgh then they are with going Downtown. So if Downtown tries to compete with what's already in Shadyside, Sq Hill, Oakland, L'ville it will FAIL! It needs to do its own thing and maintain its own identity with Amenities that will be unique to Downtown and nowhere else.

Can Pittsburgh hang with NYC, SF, and CHI and be a city that offers both a bustling Downtown and Neighborhoods? Remains to be seen

Old 11-09-2011, 11:12 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,405,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
If you ask me this is why Downtown Pittsburgh has to face a dynamic that's not seen in many other cities.....no city outside of NYC, SF, CHI offer both a Bustling/Vibrant Nightlife-filled CBD and Neighborhoods to boot....
Um, no. Philly's a nice example. Besides Center City, there's Manayunk/Roxborough, University City, Northern Liberties, Spring Garden, Fairmount, Fishtown, (even Kensington is starting to revitalize) and many parts of South Philly.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 AM

3,933 posts, read 4,001,021 times
How many of you actually go downtown in the evening and at night? I do so regularly, because the gay bars are on Liberty Ave., and also because I love walking around downtown. Downtown has improved SO much in the last three years that I have lived here! Downtown is now, in my opinion, Pittsburgh's most lively neighborhood, outside of the South Side and Oakland, at night. I used to live in Shadyside and it's a pretty quiet neighborhood. Like downtown, there are a lot of people in Shadyside during the day, but there's not much going on at night. There is Crazy Mocha and a couple other coffee shops, but downtown has that, too. I usually see more people walking around downtown than Shadyside at night. Squirrel Hill has people walking around, too, but it's not like everyone is in these neighborhoods at the expense of downtown, in my opinion. I think because downtown is so big and spread out, that it may seem there are less people than there are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh