Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 PM

22 posts, read 102,136 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My girlfriend and I are visiting Pittsburgh next weekend, and we were just wondering...
What are some fun places to visit in and around Pittsburgh for first-timers?
Anything interesting in the Mt Lebanon area?
What bars or clubs have cheap drinks/no cover charge/a decent crowd?
Are there any nearby parks to hike at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
The South Side (primarily along Carson Street) is our most active nightlife zone. It is definitely worth checking out if that is your thing.

What sort of hike do you have in mind? There are several "urban wilderness" parks in the core area if you are looking for a quick hike. If you want a more serious adventure, there are a variety of options within a couple hours or so--a trip to the Laurel Highlands to see Fallingwater and do some hiking is one possibility.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,799,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerRyan View Post
Hi all! My girlfriend and I are visiting Pittsburgh next weekend, and we were just wondering...
What are some fun places to visit in and around Pittsburgh for first-timers?
Anything interesting in the Mt Lebanon area?
What bars or clubs have cheap drinks/no cover charge/a decent crowd?
Are there any nearby parks to hike at?
Mt Lebanon is a very nice place, but not somewhere I'd recommend for someone coming for a short visit to go see unless they were thinking about moving here. Brian pretty much nailed it. If you're looking for bars and nightlife, the South Side is it. It jumps on the weekend, but is never truly dead, even during the day. For early action, go to the Strip District (has nothing to do with strippers, LOL), Penn Avenue, between 17th and 21st Streets. As for hiking, unless you want to eat up a good chunk of your time on the road, I'd stick to the parks and trails around Pittsburgh. The terrain is quite rugged around here, so you can get a good and interesting workout, even in the city.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM

472 posts, read 626,480 times
Next weekend as in the 11th,12th,13th? Not next weekend as in Tomorrow correct?

Do you use Twitter? If so, follow these people they list tons of happenings in the burgh.
Or follow them on Facebook.

@boringPGH , @pittsbburghmag , @popcitypgh

My reccs, Go to the Andy Warhol Museum if you like comics, and superheroes they have a special exhibit right now it's really awesome and on Fridays too there is discounted admission, cash bar, and sometimes live music. Check out the Strip District early on Saturday or Sunday get breakfast check out the vendors, maybe a Pens game (I didn't check the schedule)

Old 11-10-2011, 04:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvan View Post
Next weekend as in the 11th,12th,13th? Not next weekend as in Tomorrow correct?
Um...the 11th is tomorrow. Unfortunate, I know. I need more time!

Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,229,034 times
Friday: Dinner in Station Square and a riverboat cruise. Then ride the incline up to Mt. Washington for a good view and some photo ops.

Saturday: Head over to the Strip for some good coffee and pastries at Colangelo's Bakery on 21st. Cruise up Penn Avenue and pick up some olives, cheese and salami from Penn Mac. Pick up some fudge from Fudgie Wudgie. Now you will have some snacks to take back to your room. I would head over to the East End and browse through Oakland. This is where the University of Pittsburgh is located and is a neat area to walk around. I would check out Phipps Conservatory or the Nationality Rooms at the Cathedral of Learning. Just past Oakland is a quaint neighborhood called Shadyside. This will a good place for lunch and shopping along Walnut. Head back to the hotel to recharge the batteries by evening. I would surely head over to ther bars on East Carson on the South Side for a fun Satruday night.

Sunday: The Heinz History Center is a great museum that shows the history of Pittsburgh, but also has a lot of neat pieces of americana.

That is my weekend in the Burgh for first time visitors without kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh