Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Why does it bother you so much that a drag queen from Pittsburgh is on TV? A TV show has a local connection that's kind of fun. That's all. To me, Sharon Needles is of much more interest than a couple of jocks.

It doesn't bother me that she (he?) is on tv. As I've said, as a soon to be 42 year old, I've seen some truly classic, talented people in my life, from athletes to musicians to actors. In many cases, some of the best of their craft of all time. As I watch who our society considers icons or stars these days, it just becomes more of a joke all the time.

Last edited by TechieTransplant; 03-06-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:11 PM

4,275 posts, read 7,629,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Ok, thanks, but in all seriousness, is the word "he" used in a "non-drag" setting?
When you are speaking of Sharon, you use "she" or "her." When Aaron (Sharon's real name) is name is used "he" or "him" is used (meaning outside of his drag persona)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:18 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornet67 View Post
Ok, thanks, but in all seriousness, is the word "he" used in a "non-drag" setting?
Usually yes, if you mean in reference to the performer and not the character.

Note that drag queens, cross-dressers, and transgender people are all different categories. Most drag queens are not transgender, which is why most of them refer to themselves as male when not in drag.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:22 PM

18 posts, read 37,569 times
Really into the "Old Man Yells at Cloud" tone of scottrpriester's posting about this subject.

Old 03-06-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cups of that Rozay View Post
Really into the "Old Man Yells at Cloud" tone of scottrpriester's posting about this subject.
Blah blah blah blah blah blah

Old 03-06-2012, 04:27 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
It doesn't bother me that she (he?) is on tv. As I've said, as a soon to be 42 year old, I've seen some truly classic, talented people in my life, from athletes to musicians to actors. In many cases, some of the best of their craft of all time. As I watch who our society considers icons or stars these days, it just becomes more of a joke all the time.
but you have never seen the show, nor have you seen her perform.

so what does this have to do with "talent level"? nothing. you have absolutely no clue what her talent level is. you probably don't even understand exactly what she does.

you've already admitted that the issue you have with sharon needles is simply that she is a drag queen. or let's call a spade a spade - that she works in a medium that is associated with gay culture. you can talk about blah blah 60s icons blah blah but what it comes down to is a man in a dress squicks you out. so much so that you can't seem to tear yourself away from commenting on this thread. i'm sure if a contestant on top chef or project runway was from pittsburgh you wouldn't be throwing a tantrum about it. but throw in a chance to express your distaste for gay culture and you're all over it.

Old 03-06-2012, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
but what it comes down to is a man in a dress squicks you out.

Please, oh defender of racism and non interest in the Gay culture. Nothing squicks me out, I have plenty of acquaintances that are gay or lesbian...........................

Old 03-06-2012, 05:51 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,672,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Please, oh defender of racism and non interest in the Gay culture. Nothing squicks me out, I have plenty of acquaintances that are gay or lesbian...........................
ok so a man in a dress doesn't squick you out. and doesn't embarrass you. yet you use the term "drag queen" like it's a synonym for "fecal matter". and for some reasonthe concept of a drag queen from pittsburgh being on tv does bother you enough that you go on and on about how you don't want a man in a dress "representing pittsburgh" and how untalented he must be compared to vaunted rock gods and athletes etc etc etc. you've never seen what sharon needles can do, how do you know how talented or untalented she is? she's basically a comedian. but she has a penis and wears a dress, so, you know, ewwwww...

or i'm sorry, not "ewwwww", i guess you're saying "i'm not interested, therefore i feel the need to comment again every time this thread gets topped"

i think someone doth protest too much.

p.s. sharon needles has actually been criticized locally for incorporating racially charged humor into her act so you should love her.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:12 PM

59 posts, read 110,708 times
For what it's worth, Pittsburgh is just Sharon's adopted home. She's actually from Newton, IA ("Home of Maytag dishwashers and dryers"). Part of Sharon's schtick is to squick people out -- so Mission Accomplished.
We have had extensive discussions about the racism thing on Facebook and Mr Roboto. I really don't want to bring that to this board. It involves intersections between performance and the world it reflects, the meaning of parody, the functions of drag, and at what point drag stops undermining hegemonic structures and begins to reinforce them. Blah blah blah. If you like the show -- then huzzah -- have fun!! If you don't, or if drag squiks you out, then just tune it out. You're missing out on some fun. Granted, it's not as All-American as a baseball game or the Legion Post picnic, but it has its own sort of value.

Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Personally I'd welcome visitors who came here because they felt we were a city that welcomed crossdressers and alternative lifestyles. Not much freaks me out, except that "guy" who keeps getting pregnant. Other than that, have fun. Heck, the furries are huge business for Pittsburgh. (I wonder if there are such things as transvestite furries?)

OTOH, I'd set up an armed security border to keep out visitors who came here because they felt we were a city that welcomed moms who force their kids into beauty pageants. Send 'em to Morgantown.

As to Wiz... I'd like to see what he'll do when he stops singing about pot (not that Snoop totally did, but Snoop has done some great stuff accessible to a broad audience). As a middle age white suburbanite, I'm not in Wiz's demographic. But much of what I've heard does have good production values and interesting arrangements. It's the endless drivel about smoking weed that make his songs mostly uninteresting to me. If all Radiohead did was sing about teenage angst or if all Springsteen did was sing about NJ, that would be boring too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh