Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 01:09 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times

Advertisements

We had this strange cut out hole between the living and the dining room. There was the huge doorway and then this hole. Just the plaster was gone, the studs were there. Then they screwed a vent cover to both sides.

I just covered it over a year ago. After that I discovered that almost all of the bass boom boom noise problem in my house was attributable to that hole.

And soon after we moved in, I discovered our little pantry cupboard was made out of an old Montgomery Wards refrigerator crate, back when those things were thin plywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 06:03 AM

27 posts, read 41,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebyrnes View Post
The little black door on the lower right hand side is where the logs go (in fact, there are two logs in there now); the window opens to reveal the compartment for the items to be smoked, and the smoke goes out the flue.

Attachment 87301
Now that is neat!! Thank's for posting the pictures!!

Old 11-20-2011, 07:24 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,629 times
Tin ceiling hid by a drop ceiling in our second floor hallway, and in our bathroom.

Ornate mantle hidden by fiberboard

Original ornate baseboards hidden by fiberboard.

The people who owned my house in its previous 60 years (120yr old home) were idiots.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:46 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
My parents bought an old farmhouse in the late '60s. It has all of its original chestnut millwork, all fireplaces except one, chestnut mantles on the fireplaces upstairs, stone mantles on the fireplaces downstairs, pine floors, 11' ceilings. It also has a very small hidden room, and a cupola on top of the house. Rumor has it that their house and the farm on the next road over were both stops on the Underground Railroad. At one time, there was a spring that ran through a stone trough in the basement, to keep foods cold, I guess. The spring was diverted but the stone trough is still there. The original land grand was to a Revolutionary Was soldier as payment for service. He subdivided it and sold off parcels of 100 acres or so.

There are some gorgeous masonry Italianate farmhouses there (NE Ohio & NW PA), with walnut millwork, pine floors, and white marble Victorian fireplaces. And some later homes, like 1890s that are heading into Queen Anne and they got all of the wood off their land, so they have 14' ceilings, drop dead gorgeous walnut interiors, and pocket doors and such. Some of the farms had apparently huge groves of ancient walnut trees.

I used to own a brick Cape Cod type home that was built in 1949 from a 1920s Standard house plan. I found the blueprints and the house plan info in a closet in the house. Older people who had owned a big Foursquare while they were raising their family had this small house built as their retirement home. I guess that's why a quaint 1920s house plan was chosen in the Postwar era when everyone else was building ranchers or Modern.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:20 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
A friend of mine dated a girl who lived in a house built WAY back in the early 1700's. They found fetuses submerged in some sort of solution in old fashioned glass jars, buried in the basement. This was about 20 years ago, and it made the news. Turns out they dated them back to the mid 1800's. Weird.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,949,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
The people who owned my house in its previous 60 years (120yr old home) were idiots.
Now you're gonna get haunted for saying that.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,853,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubus_gt View Post
A laundry chute. It doubles as intercom. I can't imagine not having one now.
I have one too! It also serves as a great device for eavesdropping from an upper level of the house. Used to do this from time to time when I was concerned about a "questionable" friend that my son was loafing with while he was a teen.LOL!!!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:18 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,513,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
We had to demo a closet because of water damage. When we pulled the baseboards off, we found a bunch of old valentines and letters from the 1920s (right around the time the house was built).
Woa, that's so sweet. Who they belonged to? Ever found out?

Old 11-28-2011, 09:10 AM

659 posts, read 1,146,021 times
An Laundry Shoot in my upstairs hallway and kitchen area that goes right down to my washer and dryer! However its kinda of small so I can only send some items down, I love it, my home was built in 1938.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:28 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We have a house that we are selling and it was built in 1929. There is still a tree stump in the basement that was used to hold it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh