U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Do you think Pittsburgh drivers are extra timid in the rain?
No, people drive just as timid in the rain in my previous location. 18 50.00%
YES! What is wrong with people? Keep good tires on your auto, leave sufficient space, and just keep driving!* It's not hard! 18 50.00%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:50 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,975,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
I see the same thing around here. People not stopping for stop signs, but get on an on ramp and come to a complete stop where there is no stop sign.
Are you suggesting they're the same people?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 11:30 AM

3,191 posts, read 3,844,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Are you suggesting they're the same people?
Uhhhh no.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:36 AM

Well, if ever there was a day to illustrate my point, today is the day! Take a drive on any given highway to see for yourself. Picture this, I'm coming up 279 about 4 miles from the break with 79. Line of 8 cars all following each other in the LEFT lanes, sitting there instead of trying to break up traffic so you aren't sitting there in everyone else's spray. BE CAREFUL!

Old 11-22-2011, 03:53 PM

2,504 posts, read 2,047,825 times
yes they do drive more timidly, but that is probably so for every city.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
Quote:
Well, if ever there was a day to illustrate my point, today is the day! Take a drive on any given highway to see for yourself. Picture this, I'm coming up 279 about 4 miles from the break with 79. Line of 8 cars all following each other in the LEFT lanes, sitting there instead of trying to break up traffic so you aren't sitting there in everyone else's spray. BE CAREFUL!
Yes, that was awful. If you were there going northbound around 5:30 or so you probably passed me at some point. And then the construction backup went all the way to a mile before the split. Ugh. If you sat in any of that, you might have caught the guy with his headlights off. LOL. I tried to get his attention but he was in the other lane. Very dangerous, someone could have cut over into him because he was nearly invisible at times!

Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM

1,237 posts, read 824,070 times
Pittsburghers are just terrible drivers in general. They're only more timid in the rain if they've failed to change their wiper blades in the past three months and cannot see properly. Given the amount of rain Pittsburgh receives, three months is ample time to wear them down to the nub. Hell, I've had to replace the actual electric wiper motors on 3 out of the last 4 vehicles I've owned in western PA....and they were all newer vehicles to boot.

I've observed that when a Yinzer driver is behind the wheel of an SUV in particular, they believe they are impervious to everything that mother nature can throw at them. Snow, rain, hell even gravity itself. I came to this conclusion on the fabled Morn' O' Snowmageddon in 2010. It was that fateful day when I made my historic journey from the Airport Sheraton to my home about 20 miles east of the city. The trek took 5 hours in my little AWD Subaru...Not because I was having difficulties, but because of all the other idiots in their 4x4 pickups and SUV's. Traction means very little when you're going downhill....Much less at 55+mph in 3 feet of snow. I saw many unhappily stranded motorists that day stuck in ditches, snow banks, and slammed into guard rails. The vast majority of them were 4x4 or AWD vehicles.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:22 PM

26,212 posts, read 45,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
I've observed that when a Yinzer driver is behind the wheel of an SUV in particular, they believe they are impervious to everything that mother nature can throw at them.
You mean like Mazda 3 sedans? I miss my baby!

Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Yes, that was awful. If you were there going northbound around 5:30 or so you probably passed me at some point. And then the construction backup went all the way to a mile before the split. Ugh. If you sat in any of that, you might have caught the guy with his headlights off. LOL. I tried to get his attention but he was in the other lane. Very dangerous, someone could have cut over into him because he was nearly invisible at times!
No this was around 1:15pm

Old 11-23-2011, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Pittsburghers are just terrible drivers in general. They're only more timid in the rain if they've failed to change their wiper blades in the past three months and cannot see properly. Given the amount of rain Pittsburgh receives, three months is ample time to wear them down to the nub. Hell, I've had to replace the actual electric wiper motors on 3 out of the last 4 vehicles I've owned in western PA....and they were all newer vehicles to boot.

I've observed that when a Yinzer driver is behind the wheel of an SUV in particular, they believe they are impervious to everything that mother nature can throw at them. Snow, rain, hell even gravity itself. I came to this conclusion on the fabled Morn' O' Snowmageddon in 2010. It was that fateful day when I made my historic journey from the Airport Sheraton to my home about 20 miles east of the city. The trek took 5 hours in my little AWD Subaru...Not because I was having difficulties, but because of all the other idiots in their 4x4 pickups and SUV's. Traction means very little when you're going downhill....Much less at 55+mph in 3 feet of snow. I saw many unhappily stranded motorists that day stuck in ditches, snow banks, and slammed into guard rails. The vast majority of them were 4x4 or AWD vehicles.
I also remember seeing many vehicles abandoned that you normally wouldn't see

Old 11-23-2011, 06:57 AM

9,882 posts, read 9,506,864 times
Quote:
No this was around 1:15pm
Ah well, had pretty much same thing for a while on evening commute after 5pm. Slow cars in left lane, not getting over even after right lane was clear. The dark certainly compounded the effects of the steady rain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh