Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times

Advertisements

The fundamental problem was finding candidates with the right resume to appeal to moderates/independents who hadn't previously embraced policies the Republican primary electorate now considers unacceptable. Romney's "answer" to this problem is to be a shameless flip-flopper, which has little political downside since he is currently a private citizen. But I wonder if someone like Christie, with a live political career, looked at the situation and decided it wasn't worth trashing his credibility in an effort to win this contest this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The fundamental problem was finding candidates with the right resume to appeal to moderates/independents who hadn't previously embraced policies the Republican primary electorate now considers unacceptable. Romney's "answer" to this problem is to be a shameless flip-flopper, which has little political downside since he is currently a private citizen. But I wonder if someone like Christie, with a live political career, looked at the situation and decided it wasn't worth trashing his credibility in an effort to win this contest this year.
That was my thought when he bowed out.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He doesn't have a real chance at winning because he can't speak coherently when he gets excited. Not "presidential" enough.
Seems the latest polls are disagreeing with your assumptions. The media hates him, but that might be a blessing in disguise over time. He was just on face the nation and the idiot reporter was trying to fry him. Paul handled everything with perfection. He sure is treated horribly by the media. I have a feeling I know why, but can't say that on this forum.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Paul's polling average has remained in a narrow range:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2012 - 2012 Republican Presidential Nomination

In fact he picked up right where he left off in 2008:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - 2008 Republican Presidential Nomination

Anything is possible with such a large anti-Romney vote looking for a home, but I'm not going to credit Paul with a serious chance to win the Republican nomination until he has a sustained period with much better polling, which would prove he has broken out beyond his dedicated cadre of fans.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:30 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
He did a damn better job of convincing america of "Change" than any of the candidates on the Right are doing...To be honest the Right is doing better job of convincing me it'll be more of the same as far as the economy goes.....
If only Obama backed up his catch phrase with some actual action. Outside of passing obamacare, I can't come up with any significant change in his administration other then continuing on and expanding some of the worst Bush policies. And this was with also controlling both houses for awhile.

It will all come down to whether the economy improves significantly by election time. Just look at the economic data - no president in US history was ever re-elected with such poor numbers

Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
If only Obama backed up his catch phrase with some actual action. Outside of passing obamacare, I can't come up with any significant change in his administration other then continuing on and expanding some of the worst Bush policies. And this was with also controlling both houses for awhile.
And he got "Obamacare" passed even though we can't afford our existing federal programs, let alone any new ones. And you could eliminate the Department of Defense and the savings still wouldn't help nearly enough with everything else.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,979 times
Whoever gets elected, it won't matter. Even if it's Ron Paul, he'll probably turn out to be every bit as much of a corporate douche bag as Obama has. Remember how awesome everyone thought Obama was gonna be for the country? Looks like the joke was on us, and it'll be on us again this time 'round.

These people are all just figureheads for the banks and corporations. All of them. Ron Paul is no exception. He wouldn't have been permitted to run if he wasn't. What makes any of you think he's not full of the same empty rhetoric that Obama was full of when he was campaigning? Politics in the new America is nothing more than a suit-and-tie version of pro wrestling. Instead of throwing fake punches around, they throw fake words. It's boring and it's all rigged.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
All of them. Ron Paul is no exception.
How do you know Ron Paul is no exception? You don't. I do agree Obama turned into a flub. I was hopeful he would be better than some, but most of what he does is crap, except for Pittsburgh. He has been great for our area.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
How do you know Ron Paul is no exception? You don't. I do agree Obama turned into a flub. I was hopeful he would be better than some, but most of what he does is crap, except for Pittsburgh. He has been great for our area.
I agree with regard to Paul's genuineness. If he were a savvy political operator like the rest of them, he would tone his views down a few notches (IE, become even remotely electable). A modestly libertarian candidate could actually make inroads with a lot of different constituencies.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I agree with regard to Paul's genuineness. If he were a savvy political operator like the rest of them, he would tone his views down a few notches (IE, become even remotely electable). A modestly libertarian candidate could actually make inroads with a lot of different constituencies.
Not so sure. Maybe a strong arm is what is needed these days and he has strong opinions. I really like his foreign policy ideas, but i am sure places like Israel would hate it and they wield a lot of power in the US to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh