U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM
gg gg started this thread

11,522 posts, read 7,759,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post

In that sense, "wacky but harmless" is a better media attitude than "dangerous radical", a shift I think would likely occur if he was ever taken seriously as a candidate.
Niether are very good. The media hates Paul. Have a look at how they twist his comments on 9/11. If you have any education at all, you know our foreign policy contributed to what lead up to 9/11, but of course the idiot on Face the Nation was trying to make it sound like he blames all the US citizens. It is kind of sick how they treat him.

Face The Nation - CBS News
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 03:45 PM

965 posts, read 1,625,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I didn't say we weren't the world police. I said that we don't need to leave organization like the UN if we want to stop being the world police. Context, man.

Besides, while I think we sometimes overdo it, I personally believe America can, and should be, a force of good in the world. Granted, this is a matter on which reasonable people can disagree.
No it's not a matter where reasonable people can disagree... We didn't become the world cop for the fun of it. We built an empire, because in the first half of the last century, the lack of a global cop lead to 2 world wars and ultimately the cold war. Nations don't just automatically cooperate. In fact, the norm is more or less constant war, which was how the world operated prior to the 20th century. Back then, constant war was perfectly fine. It was the advent of advanced weapons technology, making it possible to destroy millions of people in the blink of an eye, that made the usual constant state of war unacceptable. This is why we built the institutions we did UN, IMF, G8, etc etc and deployed troops all over the world.

Moreover, our way of life depends on it.

The stability of the global economy (read American wealth) depends on things like secure shipping lanes, governments that all play by the same set of rules (defined by us and rigged in our favor), governments that protect the production of natural resources, etc etc. We need to ensure all of these things. This is what politicians mean when the talk about "protecting our interests"... Here is a simple example... The entire middle east keeps the oil flowing cheaply and priced in dollars. If they would arbitrarily decide to price oil using the Chinese Renminbi, currency fluctuations could result in people with $15,000 gas bills, little plastic widgets would be $500, factories would have to raise prices to pay million dollar electric bills. A global economy could not exist.... civilization could literally be set back hundreds of years... It's that serious

Old 11-20-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
No it's not a matter where reasonable people can disagree... We didn't become the world cop for the fun of it. We built an empire, because in the first half of the last century, the lack of a global cop lead to 2 world wars and ultimately the cold war. Nations don't just automatically cooperate. In fact, the norm is more or less constant war, which was how the world operated prior to the 20th century. Back then, constant war was perfectly fine. It was the advent of advanced weapons technology, making it possible to destroy millions of people in the blink of an eye, that made the usual constant state of war unacceptable. This is why we built the institutions we did UN, IMF, G8, etc etc and deployed troops all over the world.

Moreover, our way of life depends on it.

The stability of the global economy (read American wealth) depends on things like secure shipping lanes, governments that all play by the same set of rules (defined by us and rigged in our favor), governments that protect the production of natural resources, etc etc. We need to ensure all of these things. This is what politicians mean when the talk about "protecting our interests"... Here is a simple example... The entire middle east keeps the oil flowing cheaply and priced in dollars. If they would arbitrarily decide to price oil using the Chinese Renminbi, currency fluctuations could result in people with $15,000 gas bills, little plastic widgets would be $500, factories would have to raise prices to pay million dollar electric bills. A global economy could not exist.... civilization could literally be set back hundreds of years... It's that serious
Maybe a giant step back could be a good thing. Who cares about mass wealth? That is all ego crap. Food and obviously drink with a roof are the most important things. Wealth like the top .5% is what seems to be the most important things in Washington. Lets face it, they run the show.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM

6,281 posts, read 4,368,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Maybe a giant step back could be a good thing. Who cares about mass wealth? That is all ego crap. Food and obviously drink with a roof are the most important things. Wealth like the top .5% is what seems to be the most important things in Washington. Lets face it, they run the show.
If we retreat from globalization, I can assure it won't only be the top 1% who's adversely affected.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
If we retreat from globalization, I can assure it won't only be the top 1% who's adversely affected.
Plenty of countries do business with the world without some huge military presence. I suggest you look to other countries ways instead of a goon squad. It is getting tiresome to be a bully of the globe. Lots of times the bully gets the crap beat out of him eventually.

Of course we are talking politics. I would prefer to discuss if it would be good for Pittsburgh to have a native in office? I don't think anyone would be as good as Obama has been for our area, but I am not a fan of him being in bed with the Pentagon all the time. That is never good.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:20 PM

1,237 posts, read 855,165 times
Quote:
I agree with regard to Paul's genuineness. If he were a savvy political operator like the rest of them, he would tone his views down a few notches (IE, become even remotely electable).
You're missing the big picture. He is electable. People like Ron Paul and Obama are what sells now. Paul wins and it's another Cinderella story just like we had with Obama back in '08. Once the partying ends and the dust has settled, it'll be business as usual in Washington. Four years later we'll all be calling for Paul's head just like we're doing now with Obama, and cheering the praises of another yet-to-be-named people-pleasing puppet.

I'm really sorry that I feel this way, and that some of you may disagree with me. I don't wanna upset anyone, but it's just how I feel. We've had nothing but corporate puppet leadership in this dying nation for the last twelve years, why in the hell should I think anything's gonna change this time around. Hehe...I said "change".

Old 11-21-2011, 06:35 AM

965 posts, read 1,625,639 times
Quote:
Plenty of countries do business with the world without some huge military presence. I suggest you look to other countries ways instead of a goon squad.
Plenty of people live safe lives without being police officers, therefore no one should be a police officer.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Yac

4,322 posts, read 3,651,090 times
I just wanted to say that while we have a separate Politics forum, I'm not going to move this thread there, unless you reach the same level of crazy as many Politics regulars have.
Please behave here, I know these are emotional issues but as adults you all should be able to handle that.
Yac.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zip95 View Post
Plenty of people live safe lives without being police officers, therefore no one should be a police officer.
Get your checkbook out and pay for it yourself. I am tired of my tax dollars going to all this military crap around the world. We can't afford it and it gets us nowhere. Local police is a very bad comparison. That is within our boundaries, not other countries. Now we are going to war with Iran because Israel wants that. Again, we have so many flawed policies which promotes hatred towards us. We keep doing the same thing over and over again. Seems many feel we have some endless supply of money. Have a look at our debt right now. Is this the way you run your own household? Do you keep spending more and more even though your debt is so far out of hand, it will take generations to hopefully fix it? Do you plan on passing your personal debt to your kids to pay? Guess so.

Paul is someone who has a different path. Have a look at what he says and not what the media wants you to hear. They put a spin on it. Just this morning I heard a newscaster say, Paul blames Americans for 9/11. He said nothing like that at all, but what is everyone going to believe?

Old 11-21-2011, 06:58 AM

6,281 posts, read 4,368,643 times
Quote:
now we are going to war with iran because israel wants that.
lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh