U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:53 AM

535 posts, read 733,730 times

Advertisements

Dear fellow Celiacs or someone who may know:

I'll be visiting the Pittsburgh area soon. We will have transportation but will be staying in Coraopolis.... so interested in knowing if there are any restaurants in or near that area that cater to those of us who can not eat gluten? Beaver County also fine since it is near. thanks in advance for any suggestion,
wl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 05:29 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,704,469 times
Gluuteny Bakery - Pittsburgh Best - Gluten Free, Casein Free Baked Goods

Hope that helps!

Old 11-22-2011, 11:31 AM

606 posts, read 808,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Dear fellow Celiacs or someone who may know:

I'll be visiting the Pittsburgh area soon. We will have transportation but will be staying in Coraopolis.... so interested in knowing if there are any restaurants in or near that area that cater to those of us who can not eat gluten? Beaver County also fine since it is near. thanks in advance for any suggestion,
wl
I've lived in Pittsburgh for six years now and I have no problem eating out. In general the more upscale the restaurant, the less of an issue you'll have. I'm in the East End, though, so I know a lot less about the area where you'll be. Mandy's Pizza in West View has the best gluten-free pizza I've ever had, and they also offer gluten-free wings and flatbread sandwiches. I've had good experiences at Sewickley Cafe. They'd both be reasonably close to where you're staying.

The two places I most recommend as "destination" restaurants, if you like high-end dining, are Legume and Salt of the Earth. Both very gluten-aware.

Are you going to be near downtown or the East End (Shadyside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill) at all for touristy things? If so, I can give you many more recommendations.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stijl Council View Post
I've lived in Pittsburgh for six years now and I have no problem eating out. In general the more upscale the restaurant, the less of an issue you'll have. I'm in the East End, though, so I know a lot less about the area where you'll be. Mandy's Pizza in West View has the best gluten-free pizza I've ever had, and they also offer gluten-free wings and flatbread sandwiches. I've had good experiences at Sewickley Cafe. They'd both be reasonably close to where you're staying.

The two places I most recommend as "destination" restaurants, if you like high-end dining, are Legume and Salt of the Earth. Both very gluten-aware.

Are you going to be near downtown or the East End (Shadyside, Oakland, Squirrel Hill) at all for touristy things? If so, I can give you many more recommendations.
Hi SC,

Thank you so much! You are the answer to a prayer. It's great to hear you've had good experiences there. It seems I get sick every time I eat out....not sure if it's cross contamination. I self diagnosed in May, so i'm new to this way of eating. I feel about 300 times better and am thankful to have discovered it. The hard part is that I 'm afraid to eat out and that hurts me socially.
Yes, please tell me any and all restaurants that you recommend. Also, don't want to have to travel to Whole Foods to shop for groceries (I'll be there for a couple months).
Does Giant Eagle carry a selection of gf stuff, like cereal? thanks very much for any info, Joanne

Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM

Giant Eagles do carry gluten-free items. You'll be able to find Bob's Red Mill baking supplies, some Amy's frozen meals, basic gluten-free pastas (Tinkyada, usually), the Nature's Path GF products, Pacific soups/broths, and the like at even the most poorly stocked Giant Eagles. The bigger ones have Kinnikinnick frozen GF baked goods, a decent selection of Glutino products, and some other special items. If I recall correctly the one off 79 in that area is not bad.

There's an independent grocer in downtown Sewickley that might have some more specialty items, but it's been a long time since I was there. I don't think you'd be all that far from the gluten-free/allergen-free market at Soergel's Orchard, which is WELL worth a visit. Lots of stuff I haven't seen anywhere else.

My go-to restaurants:
  • Thai: Bangkok Balcony in Squirrel Hill and their sister restaurant, Silk Elephant, have GF soy sauce available and most of their curries are naturally GF.
  • Bakery/desserts: Gluuteny, mentioned above, is great -- especially the flax bread and cupcakes. Oh Yeah! in Shadyside has GF ice cream (all but the cake flavors) and GF waffles. Mercurio's, also in Shadyside, is gluten-friendly and for my money the best desserts in town.
  • Chinese: Rose Tea Cafe in Squirrel Hill and Orient Kitchen in Oakland/Bloomfield will adapt dishes for you -- I've eaten at both many, many times.
  • The Big Burrito restaurants I've been to have been fine; Eleven, which is very high-end, is predictably very good (and delicious). Kaya has some GF options and has GF beer. Both of those are in the Strip (near downtown). Mad Mex (many locations around town) is a bit more limited; I usually end up with nachos there.
  • Plum, a pan-Asian & sushi place in Shadyside/East Liberty, has a GF menu and will provide GF soy sauce upon request. Not the best sushi in town (that's Chaya), but it's proven to be a good choice when we've been trying to accommodate a group with varied tastes & dietary needs.
  • Ethiopian: Most of Abay's menu (except the injera) is GF.
  • Italian: Girasole always has some risotto and polenta on the menu and their soups are often GF. Pino's, in Point Breeze, has limited GF options (mainly on the appetizer menul) but they're very good.
  • French/Continental: Cafe du Jour on the South Side has done very well by me each time I've gone. Not a great winter option, though; you really want to sit outside there.
  • Chains: PF Chang's, Mitchell's Fish Market, and Uno's (among others) offer pretty extensive GF menus.
Sorry for the novel, but this is a topic near and dear to my heart! Good luck.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM

Sorry for the novel, but this is a topic near and dear to my heart! Good luck.[/quote]

Please do not apologize.....this is gold to me. May I indulge you with another question?
Would you be able to recommend a good bakery? I do know about the one recommended by Pitt Chick above.

I will need two cakes for a very special occasion: one gf cake and one regular cake with regular flour. I may start another thread with this question but also want to check with you.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM

15,803 posts, read 9,727,098 times
Great posts by Stijl. The independent grocer in Sewickley is called Safran's. I don't think they'd have anything more than what Giant Eagle has but now you have the name. They're on Walnut Street between Beaver and Thorn.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:46 PM

I don't know of a GF bakery in town other than Gluuteny -- sorry! They do make nice cakes, though.

Edit: Apparently there's a GF bakery in Sewickley called Crave. I'll have to check that out sometime!

Old 11-24-2011, 06:18 AM

Default thank you

Pitt Chick, S.C., toosie,
Thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it.....makes me feel a lot more comfortable about my upcoming visit. wl

Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM

19 posts, read 51,260 times
I just relocated to the Pittsburgh (South Hills) area. I've had great success with the Giant Eagle Market District stores -- there is one near Robinson. There is another great local shop called Eden's Market in Mt Lebanon. They sell ALL GF foods. Soergel's is another wonderful store. They are in Wexford.

Restaurants:
The usuals: PF Changs, Outback
There is also a Mitchell's Fish Market at the Galleria in Mt Lebanon.
I've heard great things about Pazzo (Italian) in Mt. Lebanon or Giovanni's Pizza in Dormont.
Mandy's Pizza in West View.

I was hesitant about the GF options but found many places to eat and buy food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or