U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 AM

60 posts, read 86,758 times

Advertisements

We will be driving to Bergenfield, NJ during the Thanksgiving weekend. I have made this trip a couple of times and I usually take I76 as I make on overnight stop near Philly. The pike is ok except for the heavy truck traffic + tolls.

Now I'm planning to drive directly to NJ, so two options are I80 all the way through or I76 and then I78

Just wondering how the traffic is on I80. Is it two or three lanes? Hopefully there are enough rest stops on the way. I have never taken that route.

Google maps shows a dead heat in terms of time but around 15 miles more on the turnpike.

thanks

Last edited by apiscean; 11-21-2011 at 09:33 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 AM

20,274 posts, read 18,883,560 times
How are you getting to I-80? I used to take 22/220, which I liked but it is different than Turnpike driving (they've upgrade that route since I first started using it, but it is still different).

Once you are on I-80, there are plenty of exits where you can get gas, a meal, or rest.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:31 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,827,697 times
Depends on what part of NNJ.....I prefer taking the Turnpike to 78-81 over any other route, just seems the quickest to me...

Old 11-21-2011, 09:34 AM

1,361 posts, read 918,474 times
I also prefer the Turnpike and 78. I've got to go all the way to Eastern L.I. and that route gives me the most options when navigating NYC traffic. You can take 287 north once you get into Jersey to get to Bergenfield.

I've come 80 before. The middle of the state always seems so desolate to me and I think there are actually more trucks on 80 FWIW.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:36 AM

Yes its 22/220. I see what you mean.. not the fastest of roads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
How are you getting to I-80? I used to take 22/220, which I liked but it is different than Turnpike driving (they've upgrade that route since I first started using it, but it is still different).

Once you are on I-80, there are plenty of exits where you can get gas, a meal, or rest.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM

1,399 posts, read 863,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiscean View Post
Yes its 22/220. I see what you mean.. not the fastest of roads...
I disagree... it has been upgraded and is nicer than the pike in many places.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 AM

9,891 posts, read 10,188,832 times
I take 80 to 81 to 84 to go to New England. 80 goes through some fairly unpopulated areas, but there are enough standard state rest areas as well as highway interchanges with services. The road is two lanes each direction, with climbing lanes on significant hills. The traffic is generally sparse on most of that route. I'm not familiar with 80 in NJ.

I wouldn't even consider using the Turnpike, but then I start out from north and west of the city already and just go up 79 to get to 80. Depending upon where you start from in town and what time of day, you may have more trouble getting up to 80. Thanksgiving is a heavy traffic time of course but there's still likely to be notably less traffic on 80. Given where you're going, I'd give it a try. I will say that if time is tight sometimes there is something to be said for having familiar roads with the familiar stops, though. That kept us from trying a new route on our last trip. Although now I see it looks like you haven't tried the 78 route before either, so either way it's new. I'd go with 80.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:42 AM

268 posts, read 188,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apiscean View Post
We will be driving to Bergenfield, NJ during the Thanksgiving weekend. I have made this trip a couple of times and I usually take I76/78 and except for the heavy truck traffic + tolls, I have found it ok.

Just wondering how the traffic is on I80. Is it two or three lanes? Hopefully there are enough rest stops on the way. I have never taken that route.

Google maps shows a dead heat in terms of time but around 15 miles more on the turnpike.

thanks
Going with BrianTH's route (which I take to go to go Scranton), there are some traffic areas and a lot of lights along Route 22 through Murrysville (you might already know this). Once you get past this, it definitely moves faster. You will hit small one lane construction areas near Blairsville (nothing major) and some occasional traffic lights along the way (Ebensburg). Near Altoona is where you take I-99/220 North and this highway has no real major traffic concerns until you hit State College. Since it is Thanksgiving break and depending what day you leave, you could hit some traffic areas between State College and the I-80 exit near Bellefonte (mostly PSU students leaving for the holiday). I-80 is mostly two lanes and it is hard to say if they're doing construction or not, which would limit it to one lane (don't get me started on PennDOT). The next major traffic area will be close to the PA/NJ border near Stroudsburg, PA and the Del. Water Gap. This can be horrid. I-80 through NJ will have areas that move rather quickly, but the closer you get to NYC the worse it gets and the crazier the drivers! Hope this helps

Old 11-21-2011, 12:52 PM

Thank you all... that was very helpful.. I'll sleep on this overnight before making a decision..

Old 11-21-2011, 01:43 PM

1,128 posts, read 1,040,769 times
I have done all 3 ways before (used to travel to NYC monthly). I. Getting on 80 from 79, II.Going 22 out to Altoona, III. taking the turnpike
It all depends on your preferences. If you like having many restaurant options while traveling I would greatly recommend the turnpike. There have been times when I felt like I was in the twilight zone traveling on I80, but you do save a great deal of money. Now where to get on depends on where you are coming from. I prefer going up 79 due to taking 22 out to 99 takes you through many towns where there are stoplights and lower speed limits. Good luck with your trip and stay safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh