U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:19 AM

570 posts, read 897,416 times
Default All Hail The City Chief- Luke Ravenstahl-Best of the best ! Kennedy Organization say's so !

We have a human gem right here in the burgh and he is Luke Ravenstahl. One of the most engaging, motivated, intelligent, community and social guiding types in the nation. Following in the steps of service much like JFK according to Caroline Kennedy. Hence the Kennedy Organization awards Pittsburgh's all star mayor The national 'Frontier Award'. Please everyone, take a moment and hail the Mayor for being at the top of his game.

Kennedy organization honors Ravenstahl for his leadership
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:33 AM

1,291 posts, read 828,396 times
At the very least this award does seem to suggest that he may not be the obviously incompetent, borderline-retarded frat boy so many suburbanites maintain that he is.

As I've previously said, he's far from perfect but he's governed better than I thought he would and most of the criticism leveled at him seems either petty or misdirected.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 AM

4,336 posts, read 2,917,612 times
I don't hate anyone automatically because they have a D or an R next to their name (politics is not football, thanks) but if this guy deserved an award it would be the "Meh Award". The last thing I would call that dude would be a leader.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:14 AM

1,466 posts, read 854,759 times
Yeah . . . what's he led exactly?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:31 AM

4,633 posts, read 4,489,177 times
Boy I bet that award really lit a fire in City Council's ass....seeing as they try to obstruct everything mayor does and continually tries to paint him as loser for their own political gains.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 AM

3,449 posts, read 1,987,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Boy I bet that award really lit a fire in City Council's ass....seeing as they try to obstruct everything mayor does and continually tries to paint him as loser for their own political gains.
I think they all do a pretty good job of painting themselves with that brush

Old 11-22-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Yeah . . . what's he led exactly?
Well, as has been said on this board before, the City is certainly experiencing an upswing at a time when the national economy is clearly suffering. It's unclear what, if any, credit the Mayor should get for this, but he hasn't gotten in the way of it either, which shouldn't be completely discounted.

Personally, I support the Pittsburgh Promise and see it as a benefit to the City. I thought the Mayor's parking/ pension funding scheme was better than what eventually came out of the City Counsel. The attempted tuition tax attempt, while a somewhat ham-handed attempt to address a real issue within the City, at least brought warranted attention to the proliferation of non-taxable entities within the City and the need for additional revenues. He's continued to support the rivers and trails initiatives and the City is much friendlier to bicycles now than it has been. The renovation of Market Square has been far more transformative for that area of the City than I anticipated. There's at least some talk that the City's finances are healthy enough to consider removing Act 47 oversight. The G-20 came off relatively well. There were some civil rights issues but I think that had more to do with reactionary/ paramilitary policing and less with Mayoral direction.

Under Ravenstahl, I think the pluses for Pittsburgh far outweigh the minuses. I'm honestly confused when I encounter the visceral hatred that he inspires in some people. Like I've previously said, most of the criticisms, when actually articulated in specifics (which is rare) seem petty of mis-directed.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I have many more problems with Counsel than I do with the Mayor.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM

3,893 posts, read 3,753,593 times
At least we don't have Wheeling's mayor -- demolishing half of downtown for parking lots and using eminent domain to clear a large section of the East Wheeling Historic District!

http://historicpittsburgh.blogspot.c...-wheeling.html

Old 11-22-2011, 09:25 AM

26,087 posts, read 45,298,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Well, as has been said on this board before, the City is certainly experiencing an upswing at a time when the national economy is clearly suffering. It's unclear what, if any, credit the Mayor should get for this, but he hasn't gotten in the way of it either, which shouldn't be completely discounted.

Personally, I support the Pittsburgh Promise and see it as a benefit to the City. I thought the Mayor's parking/ pension funding scheme was better than what eventually came out of the City Counsel. The attempted tuition tax attempt, while a somewhat ham-handed attempt to address a real issue within the City, at least brought warranted attention to the proliferation of non-taxable entities within the City and the need for additional revenues. He's continued to support the rivers and trails initiatives and the City is much friendlier to bicycles now than it has been. The renovation of Market Square has been far more transformative for that area of the City than I anticipated. There's at least some talk that the City's finances are healthy enough to consider removing Act 47 oversight. The G-20 came off relatively well. There were some civil rights issues but I think that had more to do with reactionary/ paramilitary policing and less with Mayoral direction.

Under Ravenstahl, I think the pluses for Pittsburgh far outweigh the minuses. I'm honestly confused when I encounter the visceral hatred that he inspires in some people. Like I've previously said, most of the criticisms, when actually articulated in specifics (which is rare) seem petty of mis-directed.
I concur whoelheartedly. I don't view Mayor Ravenstahl as necessarily being the most visionary leader that Pittsburgh has ever had the pleasure of receiving directives from; however, I also don't understand why he's so vilified.

For example, some people dislike him because of some aspects with his personal life. One's marriage collapsing should have NO BEARING on your political career. Besides, greater than 50% of all heterosexual marriages now fail anyways.

I've witnessed nothing but rapid recovery and revitalization since moving here a year ago. The city is much more pro-active with snow-plowing and pothole-patching than any other community in which I've resided. The police department has proven itself to be top-notch during all of the times I've had to be in contact with them. Trash and recycling are picked up promptly.

Granted I'm not thrilled that he plans to do so many demolitions next year of "blighted" properties (that we will one day wish we had saved to restore), but perhaps the successful lobbying of people such as alleghenyangel with their powerful blogs can start to transform that "yinzer" way of thought that newer is better than older.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh