Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 07:40 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,150,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
If you mean in terms of number of people employed, then that is what Briem is pointing out--this October count is higher than any pre-recession October count.

However, unemployment and the unemployment rate will undoubtedly still be elevated, thanks to the large increase in the size of the labor force we have seen (which may be the most underreported economic story about Pittsburgh).
Simply amazing how well we are doing locally. I am too surprised that there hasn't been much reporting on the increase of the labor force and what it actually means for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,009,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver's has been released.
The official release date is December 6:

Schedule of Selected Releases for December 2011

BLS doesn't have Denver's numbers for October as of my writing this:

Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO Economy at a Glance

At a guess, you may be looking at a release from the state, which gets the numbers earlier. PA does that too, but hasn't yet for October.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:43 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Absolutely Fantastic and there's no indication this can't be sustainable.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Simply amazing how well we are doing locally. I am too surprised that there hasn't been much reporting on the increase of the labor force and what it actually means for us.
I think it so defies conventional wisdom that almost no one dares report on it, for fear of being treated as a loon.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:48 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
The official release date is December 6:

Schedule of Selected Releases for December 2011

BLS doesn't have Denver's numbers for October as of my writing this:

Denver-Aurora-Broomfield, CO Economy at a Glance

At a guess, you may be looking at a release from the state, which gets the numbers earlier. PA does that too, but hasn't yet for October.
I don't want to hijack, but this is what I have.

Unemployment in the Denver metro area stood at an unadjusted 7.8 percent in October, down a 10th of a percentage point from the September rate, according to raw county jobs data released Tuesday by the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment.

Metro Denver unemployment 7.8%, raw numbers show - Denver Business Journal

Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I think it so defies conventional wisdom that almost no one dares report on it, for fear of being treated as a loon.
Interesting, that may be the case. Eventually I think it will become noticeable what has been happening in this area and it may no longer be able to be ignored by the local or national media.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
Absolutely Fantastic and there's no indication this can't be sustainable.
Indeed. We've been heading for this point for a long time (the exact month wasn't a certainty, but this isn't a big surprise).

One of the remarkable things is the diversity--we're getting solid gains in most of our important industry categories (with the notable exception of government, which is really about political issues at higher levels rather than anything specific to the region, and in any event we are fortunate to have relatively little dependence on government employment).

Old 11-22-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't want to hijack, but this is what I have. . . .
There you go--that is a state release. It is the same data as the BLS will eventually report, so there is no reason to question it. But PA has not yet done a similar release.

Edit:

Here is a description of the relevant program, if anyone is interested:

http://www.bls.gov/lau/lauov.htm

In a nutshell, the states are doing the numbers-crunching for the feds, which is why the states can report individually before the feds do the entire release.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Indeed. We've been heading for this point for a long time (the exact month wasn't a certainty, but this isn't a big surprise).

One of the remarkable things is the diversity--we're getting solid gains in most of our important industry categories (with the notable exception of government, which is really about political issues at higher levels rather than anything specific to the region, and in any event we are fortunate to have relatively little dependence on government employment).
What surprises me is how many more jobs there were in Oct 2011 over 2010. The data I saw on the BLS looks like there are over 20,000 more jobs compared to October of last year. It looks like almost every other metro still has a long way to ge before they can even break even with their job numbers before the recession started. You wouldn't think Pittsburgh could be doing this well if you only paid attention to the national news and political discussions.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Interesting, that may be the case. Eventually I think it will become noticeable what has been happening in this area and it may no longer be able to be ignored by the local or national media.
I think a lot of the national media is already out ahead of a lot of the local media. Of course I agree that eventually the story will be told locally, but eventually can take a long time--and I think in some respects the 2010 Census pushed off that point, even though properly understood it should not have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh