U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 11-26-2011, 03:21 AM

56 posts, read 48,943 times
There's Chocolate in my Vanilla!

#First World Problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-26-2011, 08:18 AM

1,125 posts, read 807,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Yes, but, thankfully, they had enough class to refrain from cursing in front of their children and wearing those baggy, "urban" clothes.
Yes, molesting over 20 children may be bad, but at least Sandusky didn't weat those d*** baggy urban clothes

Unread 11-26-2011, 02:44 PM

2,405 posts, read 2,684,727 times
people have always dressed abysmally at amusement parks, but otherwise, thanks for another hysterical thread about crime.

Unread 11-26-2011, 08:54 PM

1,437 posts, read 1,210,588 times
The last time I was at Disney, I wore a fanny pack.

I was also 8 though so I think I get a pass.

Unread 11-27-2011, 05:15 AM

18,419 posts, read 12,520,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steindle View Post
It's incredible that the sky has been falling since Ancient Greece and it hasn't actually hit the ground yet.
Hee hee.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-27-2011 at 05:26 AM..

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:32 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,353,956 times
Just from my own perspective, it seems that our local culture has taken a dive in the past decade. You figure between 9/11, post-9/11 fear, dumbing down popular culture (radio and television being controlled by a small number of entities), getting back to the 1980's "me me me" mentality, extreme political divide, and recession woes it's bound to have a negative impact on any culture and western PA is not an exception.

People just seem, for a lack of a better word, trashier than they once were. It's one big mishmash of "I don't care" culture. Dressing homeless when you go out in public? I don't care. Driving like an idiot and break 14 driving laws in one hour? I don't care. Cutting in line, loudly yelling about everything, beating your kids in public, littering, ignoring common courtesy? I don't care.

It's like people have been conditioned to act as trashy and they do so without thinking twice. Even the "upper middle class" segments of the population seem to be self-absorbed scum bags. Granted, not everyone fits into this description but in my opinion about 75% of the people I come across are trash. I feel like an old curmudgeon sometimes because I hate being out in public with other people.

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:38 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,231,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's like people have been conditioned to act as trashy and they do so without thinking twice. Even the "upper middle class" segments of the population seem to be self-absorbed scum bags. Granted, not everyone fits into this description but in my opinion about 75% of the people I come across are trash. I feel like an old curmudgeon sometimes because I hate being out in public with other people.
I generally agree. I've always strived to be classy, refined, polite, gracious, and pleasant with people, even when there are reasons to dislike them. Take the high road.

Unread 11-27-2011, 08:45 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,353,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I generally agree. I've always strived to be classy, refined, polite, gracious, and pleasant with people, even when there are reasons to dislike them. Take the high road.
I do the same (believe it or not despite my offbeat posting style). I've had random people I see every day (bus drivers, coffee shop employees etc.) comment on how I'm always smiling. This is welcomed change of pace for them since the majority people mean mug them and don't say good morning, please, and thank you.

It's not an eduction thing either as I've seen plenty of "professionals" act like trash. It's an odd thing, the friendliest people I know in the area are the "hipster" types. I guess some people can roll with the punches while the rest can't.

Unread 11-27-2011, 11:40 AM

3,765 posts, read 2,378,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
It's an odd thing, the friendliest people I know in the area are the "hipster" types.
I have a friend who lives in NY and hates hipsters. Well, he says he hates hipsters, but he's planning to move to Brooklyn (though not to Williamsburg). And SCR hates them for being poor or drug addicts or on welfare, or whatever mental congestion he experiences on the subject. And then there's d i e h i p s t e r . c o m

But I have hardly met an unfriendly hipster in Pgh. I'm not sure I have ever met one, really. Maybe they intuit that I was once a hippie, I don't know. But I find most of them to be pretty pleasant. And the boy hipsters wear those skinny jeans (girls' jeans, I've heard). What's not to like?

Unread 11-27-2011, 02:37 PM

1,237 posts, read 660,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I have a friend who lives in NY and hates hipsters.
What the hell is a hipster?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh