U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:41 PM

1,237 posts, read 743,934 times
Default Is western PA culturally emploding?

Southwestern Pennsylvania is where I was born, raised, and lived until recently. I plan on returning one day. There are aspects of living there that cannot be duplicated anywhere else. Having said that....

What's been happening to the culture there over the past ten years? The city used to seem safe to me. Now the media has it painted as a shooting gallery. The craziness that I hear about in the news back there is unbelievable. So many people doing so many absolutely loony things. Before I moved, I noticed a large uptick in the aggressiveness of the general public in and around the Pittsburgh area that felt really out of place and foreign to me.

Another thing that really stood out to me was my last trip to Kennywood. I was shocked at the amount of profanity I heard from both adults and children, as well as the abysmal way in which people were dressed. It reminded me of that movie Idocracy. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 PM

3,884 posts, read 3,549,666 times
I've lived here for the past three years and Pittsburgh is a very safe city. I haven't noticed any aggressiveness among the people I encounter. In fact, it seems like everyone gets along with everyone, or makes an effort to do so. I live in a sketchy neighborhood and work in one of the most crime-ridden areas of the city, but even so I still feel very safe. The crime rates have not increased over the years, so in general nothing has changed to make Pittsburgh a more violent place than it ever has been.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM

377 posts, read 284,103 times
Uh the city is still safe. There are problems area but usually they are in specific areas that you most likely wouldn't be in. I would also still say that our "bad" areas are nothing compared to a lot of other cities. Some local news stations here really do report on some dumb stuff. Like the Light Up Night thread for example. Thousands and thousands of people downtown for Light Up Night yet they report on a fist fight between a group of idiots. They really do the city a disservice when they make something dumb like that look like some huge violent happening---totally not the case. We must also remember how much access we have to information now than even 20 years ago. We hear about almost everything it seems.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:41 PM

3,759 posts, read 2,342,788 times
Pittsburgh seems to be safer than it was in the 1970's for sure.

Yes, drug dealers and their customers are often shot, these folks can't go to the police if they are robbed or have a commercial dispute, so they are left with "self help".

But civilians uninvolved in gang life can feel pretty safe in most places in Pittsburgh. I rarely feel the need to carry firearms myself, it isn't Death Wish 3 around here.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
I've lived here for the past three years and Pittsburgh is a very safe city. I haven't noticed any aggressiveness among the people I encounter. In fact, it seems like everyone gets along with everyone, or makes an effort to do so. I live in a sketchy neighborhood and work in one of the most crime-ridden areas of the city, but even so I still feel very safe. The crime rates have not increased over the years, so in general nothing has changed to make Pittsburgh a more violent place than it ever has been.
Well that clears that up then.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:37 PM

382 posts, read 254,775 times
Sealite, I just moved back to Pgh after being gone for 15 years - five in Raleigh, NC, and 10 in Philly. I really love Philly, but got tired of the incivility and constant rush. Now that I'm back home....I can feel myself breathing easier. Despite living in a neighborhood with a bad reputation and some actual fairly serious crime, I feel pretty safe as long as I act sensibly. And when I go out in public, I can be nice and smile, something that I learned not to do so much in Phl. As others have said, most of the crime is drug related; if you run with the dogs and you'll catch some fleas, as one of my favorite patients says.

Some come back - soon!

e

Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 PM

54 posts, read 35,018 times
Default If you base it on the media...

Oftentimes I hear people make statements on how the US is become a dangerous place (neighbors won't let their kids walk to the school bus stop for fear of the white van man coming to steal them away).

The reality is crime rates have dropped considerably in this nation since 1990 (refer to the FBI Uniform Crime Reports).

The fact that we are pummeled with constant news about something bad happening somewhere, we tend to think the US (or Pittsburgh) is becoming more dangerous. I also believe people are generally bad at perceiving risk versus threat. Here is a good post on this: Schneier on Security: Perceived Risk vs. Actual Risk

That being said, I believe Pittsburgh is relatively safe!

Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 PM

1,324 posts, read 712,176 times
"Shooting Gallery?" Where are you getting this stuff? There's a little bit of crime, of course, but it's not like I have to dodge bullets when I'm walking around the Northside. You're in more danger driving on the parkway (see the traffic fatality thread) than you are living in the city.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:07 AM

11,727 posts, read 17,382,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Now the media has it painted as a shooting gallery. The craziness that I hear about in the news back there is unbelievable. So many people doing so many absolutely loony things.
Partially due to what the Pittsburgh newspapers choose to cover.

I can't imagine Pittsburgh being worse than Las Vegas. But when you read the Vegas newspapers online, they're heavily covering poker news, mixed-martial artists news, large events coming to Vegas, tourism, some celebrity stuff, and a million other things. The murders that happen everywhere in Vegas, are buried deep in the double-digit pages.

Whenever I view the online Pittsburgh newspapers, they ONLY seem to talk about people getting shot, people getting stabbed, on and on. They spend most of their time covering the worst of humanity.

In short, if local journalist and editors in Pittsburgh could find something more interesting to write about, yinz all wouldn't have to read about stabbings, shootings, and gun violence all the time.

Old 11-24-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
"Shooting Gallery?" Where are you getting this stuff?
WPXI, KDKA, WTAE, KDKA radio, PCNC. While they hype the living hell out of the underbelly of Pittsburgh society, anyone who doesn't think that many Pittsburgh area suburbs have really gone downhill in the past ten years is kidding themselves. On the bright side however, more parts of the area have undergone some major improvements in the same amount of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh