Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,697,386 times

Advertisements

One thing... tuition. A bachelors is completed in three years at AIP because you do not get summers off. Therefore, you are looking at $75,000 total for a degree. What is the total tuition for a bachelors in design at a 4 (or 5) year school? It's probably pretty similar unless you're going to a community college (not a bad idea).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabronie View Post
You mean like my friend that had never drawn anything in his entire life, and enrolled basically with the ability to draw a stickman, and even that was questionable. lol He's now a very successful IT guy.
Yep.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:16 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
One thing... tuition. A bachelors is completed in three years at AIP because you do not get summers off. Therefore, you are looking at $75,000 total for a degree. What is the total tuition for a bachelors in design at a 4 (or 5) year school? It's probably pretty similar unless you're going to a community college (not a bad idea).
According to a recent article in the New York Times http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/ed...t-in-2010.html, "Students who graduated from college in 2010 with student loans owed an average of $25,250." The article goes on to say, "The report is based on data from more than 1,000 colleges, representing half of all public and private nonprofit four-year schools. The average amount of debt would be even higher if the report included profit-making schools, where almost all students take out loans and, according to federal data, borrow about 45 percent more than students at nonprofits."

Best bet would probably be to go two years at a community college and finish the last two years at a state school such as California, Slippery Rock or IUP. I'm sure the debt would be much less than $25K.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Right, but even schools like PITT are averaging around $15k a year now. Multiply that times 4 or 5 and you're pretty close in range. I'm not defending tuition at either of these schools (tuition on average is completely out of control), but it's not far above other local universities.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:42 PM

116 posts, read 212,278 times
Quote:
Just curious, normally one is eligible for 4 years of state grants, can you get the total "4 yrs worth" in the 3 yrs at AIP?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Right, but even schools like PITT are averaging around $15k a year now. Multiply that times 4 or 5 and you're pretty close in range. I'm not defending tuition at either of these schools (tuition on average is completely out of control), but it's not far above other local universities.
I think it is more important to focus on the loans that students end up with at these schools. According to the NY Times article, "The average amount of debt would be even higher if the report included profit-making schools, where almost all students take out loans and, according to federal data, borrow about 45 percent more than students at nonprofits. But only five of 471 profit-making colleges reported student debt data for their 2010 graduates, the report said."

Old 11-28-2011, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 1,284 times
I recently read an interesting article about the Art Institutes - it focuses on the photo programs but the broad strokes could apply to other programs as well.

The Art Institutes: Legitimate Photo Schools or Accessories to Fraud?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times
WOW! that's insane! why are ppl still signing up though?

Old 11-28-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyTheHun View Post
Just curious, normally one is eligible for 4 years of state grants, can you get the total "4 yrs worth" in the 3 yrs at AIP?
I landed a couple of local scholarships and grants... ended up with only around 20k in loans. That has a lot to do with why I left not hating them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stateless View Post
I recently read an interesting article about the Art Institutes - it focuses on the photo programs but the broad strokes could apply to other programs as well.

The Art Institutes: Legitimate Photo Schools or Accessories to Fraud?
That's a pretty balanced article. I think the last few paragraphs from Brandon Werth sum up my feelings on it best though. It's a shame they can't tighten their standards and actually make a name for themselves because AIP *does* have great facilities and staff. Their recruitment policies are just so bad it overshadows that stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh