Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Fracking safe?
Yes 11 40.74%
no 12 44.44%
don't know enough to say 4 14.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times

Advertisements

Just to be clear about that article about the earthquakes in Ohio. They were actually caused by an injection well where chemicals from the fracking process were being pumped into a fault that was previously unknown. The injection wells near Youngstown (where the earthquakes happened) have been shut down. You Pennsylvanians don't need to worry about injection wells because they are banned in your state. Of course besides being a dumping ground for garbage from the east coast now my home state is a dumping ground for the chemicals of hydraulic fracking from New York and Pa since those two state have banned injection wells.

Quote:
A dozen earthquakes in northeastern Ohio were almost certainly induced by injection of gas-drilling wastewater into the earth, state regulators said Friday as they announced a series of tough new rules for drillers.
Ohio, destination of much gas-drilling wastewater, imposes tough new rules after quake study - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/apnewsbreak-ohio-finds-injection-well-caused-earthquakes-imposes-tough-new-regulations/2012/03/09/gIQA0TSK1R_story.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:56 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The earthquakes in Ohio were actually confirmed to be caused by fracking:

Confirmed: Fracking Caused Ohio Earthquakes | ThinkProgress

So it's no longer unknown: man's own actions caused earthquakes in OHIO.
No, it was not confirmed. Fracing, and injection wells are two completely different things. This is why this type of misinformation keeps getting spread around the internet.

Fracing was never accused of causing earthquakes.

A single deep injection well that is used for brine disposal was blamed for earthquakes in Youngstown.

You can read the article here, and click on the link to read the actual report.

D&L: ODNR Report 'Bad and Incomplete' Science | Business Journal Daily

The major sticking point is that the State admits to placing blame on circumstantial, and coincidental evidence. They never even bothered to do the scientific testing. How would you like to be convicted of murder on that kind of evidence?

You can read the local media at Youngstown News, Vindy.com, Local News, Sports, Classifieds, Jobs, Cars, Homes - The Vindicator and WKBN Youngstown, Ohio - News Weather and Sports - WKBN - 27 First News - Local News - Youngstown, Warren, Columbiana, Ohio - Sharon, Pennsylvania

Old 03-17-2012, 07:58 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,935,659 times
^Jinx SRF.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
No, it was not confirmed. Fracing, and injection wells are two completely different things. This is why this type of misinformation keeps getting spread around the internet.

Okay, a byproduct of fracking.

The major sticking point is that the State admits to placing blame on circumstantial, and coincidental evidence. They never even bothered to do the scientific testing. How would you like to be convicted of murder on that kind of evidence?

How would you like to live as a guinea pig as we all are in this region?

Much of what is going on is totally blind greed. I don't care what you or anyone else wants to preach or say, the bottom line is we don't know enough and we are moving forward at an uncomfortable pace. Sure, with a name like "South Range Family", I suspect you certainly don't want there to be any danger to anyone, but there is a pile of money involved. If it was a gold rush as so many are hoping for, big oil would be a player today. I really don't think people know true effects of what we are doing. That being said, we will find out at some point. Hope it works out, but I am not really a blind believer in all this. Lots of risk. Ground water is certainly a risk especially when there WILL be shortcuts and dumping here and there. MONEY! It makes people do all kind of things. Don't kid yourself. You know there can be big problems from what we are doing. Sure maybe you are making 100's of thousands a year? Some people will be or already are if you control enough land. I know someone that has the potential to make many millions from this due to his land ownership. He is in the lumber business in a big way and the land owned has the rights. Not 100's of acres, much, much more. Money.

Time will tell. Probably 10 years or so from now we will know enough to determine things better. Will it be too late? Will it work out and money is in our region? Hard to say right now.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
[b]
[How would you like to live as a guinea pig as we all are in this region?

How would you like to come out to my place, and I'll give you a tour of the well that was drilled 400 feet from my house?

It was drilled, and fraced in 1977. The frac water was disposed of down the outer annulus of the well itself. It's 5400 feet deep, all the way to the Clinton sandstone. It also sits on top of 900 feet of pure salt. We can also walk over to my neighbors field where a brine injection well was used in 1979.

My only complaint is that when a Utica well is drilled across the street from me, It will go under my property, and I will be bound by a 1977 contract at 12.5% royalty and no signing bonus.

So no, I have no problem being a guinea pig. This is proven science that has been around since 1930. The only difference is that they are now able to go twice as deep, and horizontal. That means less surface disturbance, and less wellheads to install.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:18 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
How would you like to come out to my place, and I'll give you a tour of the well that was drilled 400 feet from my house?

It was drilled, and fraced in 1977. The frac water was disposed of down the outer annulus of the well itself. It's 5400 feet deep, all the way to the Clinton sandstone. It also sits on top of 900 feet of pure salt. We can also walk over to my neighbors field where a brine injection well was used in 1979.

My only complaint is that when a Utica well is drilled across the street from me, It will go under my property, and I will be bound by a 1977 contract at 12.5% royalty and no signing bonus.

So no, I have no problem being a guinea pig. This is proven science that has been around since 1930. The only difference is that they are now able to go twice as deep, and horizontal. That means less surface disturbance, and less wellheads to install.
I have no problem or disbelieve your success claim. All might be perfect and you have made and are making money with no issues. If so, that is great and congratulations. One successful well doesn't equate to total success however, but your situation is proof that it can be done without disrupting in you spot. The money you have received would put you in a category of yes, drill! Your success enhances you preaching all will be great no matter what. That location might actually be great because poor practices wouldn't be as easy to do by the companies that might want to dump or do whatever they please as they can in more remote places.

Congrats, but one or ten wells won't be enough for me to say all is great, let the flood gates open and as fast as we can, do it. I think I need more. Hope it does work out, but it is smart to take some time and proceed smartly, since the scale of this thing is huge.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:39 AM

As I said, this is nothing new.

February 2011 - US gas well count drops slightly

57,000 wells in Pa. alone.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
As I said, this is nothing new.

February 2011 - US gas well count drops slightly

57,000 wells in Pa. alone.
Keep in mind, you have an agenda. You make money from this. There are others that just worry about drinking water. You can afford to buy water from France, so it means nothing to you. All this being said, what you say is a consideration, but you are making money, so it means little in the equation.

Enjoy your profits, but there are some that might lose drinking water. No worries for you though, you can just buy bottled.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:56 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
If you were on the fence at all, Curtis, this should convince you of the evils of fracking fluid:

Fracturing Gums Things Up for Anti’s - Energy In Depth - Northeast Marcellus Initiative | Energy In Depth – Northeast Marcellus Initiative

Quote:
Guar gum and other associated gelling agents typically represent 0.056% of hydraulic fluid or about 11.4% of everything that isn’t water and sand. It takes about a teaspoon of guar gum to make a good quart of homemade ice cream (roughly 0.52% of volume) so there is, relatively speaking, about the same amount of guar guam in fracturing fluids (after taking away the water and sand) as there is in ice cream.

Last edited by ditchdigger; 03-18-2012 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-18-2012, 06:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
That face is because someone is advocating putting guar gum into ice cream, right?

More likely it's because that analysis by percentage is totally wacko. As far as what's in your drinking water, for instance, we usually measure in parts per million or billion for certain hazardous substances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh