Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Pittsburgh Borrow $80,000,000 for Capital Spending Over the Next Two Years?
Yes 15 38.46%
No 24 61.54%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 02:25 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Fear over debt is meaningless, it's just a scam created by the banks and richest few to control the masses. Build as much meaningful infrastructure as possible because with that as well as with raw materials is where true value and prosperity lies.
that's not really true. banks benefit from debt, they don't benefit from fear over debt. debt isn't meaningless and neither are obligations. you are borrowing from future income to spend now...it's not inherently bad or good. too much can be crippling and too little could mean foregoing worthwhile projects.
I suppose the question is whether or not the projects are worth taking on debt for. how long does asphalt last? if you were to issue $80 million in debt and were king, what would you fund?
there was an article in the journal today about companies opting for more expensive led lights because they can be replaced every 4-5 years rather than a couple times per year which adds up to signficant labor savings since employees can spend that time doing other projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 02:31 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,001,421 times
By the way, there are in fact more details available (again, whether or not they comply with Council's requirements, I have no idea):

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl*·*Press Release

Old 11-30-2011, 03:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,725,360 times
I think one way to discourage "urban prairies" is by adopting a two-tier property tax structure, whereby taxes on vacant and neglected property are so high that it'd make more sense from a tax standpoint for a property owner to develop it.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:28 PM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I think one way to discourage "urban prairies" is by adopting a two-tier property tax structure, whereby taxes on vacant and neglected property are so high that it'd make more sense from a tax standpoint for a property owner to develop it.
What if it's a 20 x 120 lot? The City requires at least a 40 wide frontage.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
By the way, there are in fact more details available (again, whether or not they comply with Council's requirements, I have no idea):

Mayor Luke Ravenstahl*·*Press Release

If you click on "View the Budget Plan" at the top of the article, it takes you to the pdf for the plan... page 358 begins the 2012 Capital Project breakdown. However, I didn't notice the $80 million mentioned in the section. And yes, I got bored this morning so I skimmed through the entire budget plan

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
However, I didn't notice the $80 million mentioned in the section.
I think the "bond" column shows where that money is allocated (note it is spread over two years).

Old 12-02-2011, 08:29 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Hmmmm. Now that I woke up to yet ANOTHER water main break I may just be in support of more borrowing if it's used to actually improve this city's infrastructural support system to at least "adequate". I can't leave the house until I can take a shower. I look and feel disgusting, and I have some important errands I NEEDED to run before going into work this afternoon. Not a happy camper right now.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:00 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Hmmmm. Now that I woke up to yet ANOTHER water main break I may just be in support of more borrowing if it's used to actually improve this city's infrastructural support system to at least "adequate". I can't leave the house until I can take a shower. I look and feel disgusting, and I have some important errands I NEEDED to run before going into work this afternoon. Not a happy camper right now.
My solution recommendation for the future:

Buy one of those camping shower bags that you fill with water, and a few gallons of water. When needed, heat 1 or 2 gallons of water on the stove, and mix in with other water into the shower bag (heat to your preference). Figure out a way to hang it in your shower stall. Use the shower!

I've actually done this, and it works fairly well. Except, I only had the supplies because I was actually going to go camping on the weekend.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:08 AM

Depressing article on the politics:

City's capital budget to grow

It is fine to ask if the money would be well-spent. But a lot of Council is suggesting it requires a political motive to want to borrow a substantial sum right now, and in turn they seem to be opposing the plan for their own political reasons. As I pointed out above, to explain why borrowing now makes sense, all you need to do is note municipal borrowing rates are incredibly low.

Unfortunately, we are seeing a similar dynamic play out at multiple levels of government--some folks are more concerned about harming their political opponents than doing what is best for their constituents.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 AM

567 posts, read 1,161,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Doing things the right way and spending on quality infrastructure right now will pay off in the long term, regardless whether or not the U.S. dollar is still a viable medium of currency. Dollars are already worthless pieces of paper backed by nothing of substance like gold anymore, and their remaining value is primarily based on our past reputation as a powerhouse economy.

I'm in no way encouraging frivolous spending on crap, what I mean is investing smartly and not holding back the purse strings once you've found the right investment... which is anything that works and lasts.

That last part is the key, because in this day and age we seem to have forgotten the value of longevity. Due to ever-present inflation and increased costs across the board, anything that lasts a long time before it either loses usefulness, falls apart, or becomes outdated ends up paying the investor back exponentially for each additional year it is used. The investor in this case being the taxpayer.
This is always an interesting point.
Another example I'd be curious to know more about: wonder how much of that $14 million it might save to keep maintaining (and/or continue constructing) brick-paved streets, which clearly last much longer than asphalt. Plus they look nicer (Unless they get patched with asphalt, of course)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Chicago mayor Rahm Emanuel wants to drastically increase their (apparently very low) water rate to replace their failing infrastructure. I know it'd be painful but I wonder if it's a necessity that we'd be better off with here (and in other older cities) in the long run. Of course ideally, they would have a slightly higher rate over a longer time to save for/finance such projects instead of it hitting all at once...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh