Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 10:30 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
That's what I suspect. Most people DON'T like the Winter. They like feeling like they've conquered it while looking at it through the window.
So the only way to "enjoy" a season is to be outside? Honestly, I'd prefer to hole up inside year round (I'm indoorsy, not outdoorsy) and at least in the winter I don't get bombarded with "it's such a beautiful daaaay!" constantly from people so I feel guilty about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 PM

268 posts, read 374,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Yeah, I'm not a fan of that either. You go into work and it's dark and you leave work and it's dark. I was talking about looking for a job in Norway and people were like "it's always dark and cold there in the winters!". Wouldn't be that much of a shift from what we have here!
40 hours of sunshine in Oslo, Norway during January compared to our avg. of 93 that same month and 1,668 sunshine hours/year, less than our 2000+. Pittsburgh would look like San Diego compared to Norway, but I get your point. Winters here are DISMAL and DEPRESSING. Norway's are not only extremely DISMAL, but probably suicidal as well

Oslo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-05-2011, 01:59 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
40 hours of sunshine in Oslo, Norway during January compared to our avg. of 93 that same month and 1,668 sunshine hours/year, less than our 2000+. Pittsburgh would look like San Diego compared to Norway, but I get your point. Winters here are DISMAL and DEPRESSING. Norway's are not only extremely DISMAL, but probably suicidal as well

Oslo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Meh, 1700 there to 2000 here, not that bad. I'm willing to bet that their snow removal is much better at least.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:20 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
I also don't think you have to be outside to enjoy winter. For example, I love seeing the landscape the first time after a good snowfall. And then there is hot chocolate . . .

Old 12-05-2011, 02:38 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,689,811 times
I enjoy both indoor and outdoor activities in the winter, but two of my favorites are (1) going to the strip district and eating outside in the snow (particularly tacos or seafood bisque), and (2) going for walks during or shortly after a big snowfall, when it seems like ghost town.

Old 12-06-2011, 11:37 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,948,765 times
Nothing could sell me on a western Pennsylvania winter. Even if I really liked winter and everything associated with it, I'd still think that the winters sucked there. You rarely have the beauty of a blue sky to compliment a blanket of fresh snow on the ground. The last time I remember that happening, was right after Snowmageddon. I took an ass-ton of pictures of it because it's so rare to see the two (blue sky and snow) together like that.

Most of the time during the winter in Pittsburgh, it's either mind-numbingly cold with little to no snow, snowy with gray skies and wind, or just incredibly chilly and rainy. You very rarely get that "perfect" winter setup there. It's more like the weather just gets "sick" for five months. Well....last year, it was more like 7 or 8 months.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:42 AM

268 posts, read 374,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Nothing could sell me on a western Pennsylvania winter. Even if I really liked winter and everything associated with it, I'd still think that the winters sucked there. You rarely have the beauty of a blue sky to compliment a blanket of fresh snow on the ground. The last time I remember that happening, was right after Snowmageddon. I took an ass-ton of pictures of it because it's so rare to see the two (blue sky and snow) together like that.

Most of the time during the winter in Pittsburgh, it's either mind-numbingly cold with little to no snow, snowy with gray skies and wind, or just incredibly chilly and rainy. You very rarely get that "perfect" winter setup there. It's more like the weather just gets "sick" for five months. Well....last year, it was more like 7 or 8 months.
What are you talking about? Western PA winters are gorgeous... just looking out my window I can see a dark thick grey sky (not white, dark grey) and it's rainy and damp. It's also 40 degrees today and it might snow. I can't wait to get outside and drive around the city and look at the beautiful brown rivers (they look brown when the sun isn't reflecting on them) and barren deciduous trees. Why on Earth would someone describe our winter weather as sickening? .

Looking at the forecast tomorrow, it's suppose to be mostly sunny . However, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:10 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealtite View Post
Yup, this is the reality of our winters. Gray, cold, windy, and dark. Plus there's piles of snow caked on the sides of the roads in black from car exhaust which partially melts and becomes black slush. The combination of gray skies, black pavement, black snow, dirty cars, and gray buildings makes me think that the "perfect winter" that folks talk about is something that goes on in their mind and not in reality.

Don't forget about those ice storms we have from time to time where everything gets coated in ice.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:49 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,012,123 times
We average about 30-40% possible sunshine from November through February. About 10% of days are clear, and another 20% or so are partly sunny. All this is relatively low for a large U.S. city, but it simply isn't true that we don't get any sunshine or blue skies at all during the winter.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
We average about 30-40% possible sunshine from November through February. About 10% of days are clear, and another 20% or so are partly sunny. All this is relatively low for a large U.S. city, but it simply isn't true that we don't get any sunshine or blue skies at all during the winter.
Forever the optimist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh