Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2011, 11:31 AM

137 posts, read 274,527 times

Advertisements

I'm trying to decide whether to take the T or drive downtown tonight for a holiday party. I'll have both of my children with me. On the one hand, the T is nicer for having access to them (they are both rear facing, and I have a newborn who can be fickle in the car) and my toddler loves to ride trains. On the other hand, the T only runs every 30min at night - I don't want to sit at the station if we accidentally miss a train for 30min.

How is traffic going to be on Banksville Rd and through the tunnel around 5/5:30? Better than morning traffic? It took us 30min one morning, and if it's more than that we'll probably just do the T.

Also, and tips/suggestions on evening parking downtown? The event is near Grant and 4th.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 11:34 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Banksville doesn't get really backed up in the evenings, though it's usually slow on the Parkway before the tunnels. The good thing is that you'll be merging into the mess at the last possible opportunity, so it will really only slow you down for a minute or two.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Banksville road shouldn't be too bad during the afternoon rush. You will hit some traffic right before the tunnels, but it won't be awful.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:08 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,052 times
Yeah, Banksville to the tunnel won't be terrible. Lately though, the Parkway West from Robinson to the tunnel is one big congested mess though during the evening rush. It has been generally slow or heavy congestion from before Montour Run to the tunnel lately. Sucks, sucks, sucks.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,962,766 times
Lots of parking available inthe Fourth and grant vicinity: the Macy's garages along Smithfield, the Oxford Center garage, and another city garage on Fourth between Wood and PPG Place. My favorite is the huge First Avenue garage off of Second Avenue behind the PNC operations center. Always has space. Wherrever you end up, make sure it's a Parking Authority garage - they're cheaper than the private ones. Although I'm not sure if the free weekend parking will be in effect tonight.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:27 PM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Yeah, Banksville to the tunnel won't be terrible. Lately though, the Parkway West from Robinson to the tunnel is one big congested mess though during the evening rush. It has been generally slow or heavy congestion from before Montour Run to the tunnel lately. Sucks, sucks, sucks.
I did that every day for a few months when I interned for USAir and lived in Oakland. I've sat a few times from where business 60 (now 376) merges back onto the parkway until the tunnel. At that time, it was due to a lot of construction at the Campbell's run/I-79 interchanges. There are back roads you can take around that mess into Carnegie, but I don't know road names.

Note: The absolute worst driving day ever is when the Fort Pitt tunnels had a bomb threat. It took 3 hours to get home that day.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 PM

137 posts, read 274,527 times
I've never gotten downtown so quickly as I did tonight! Banksville Rd heading home at 5:20 did not look so fun, though.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh