U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 06:06 PM

9,154 posts, read 9,402,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
I bought from Overstock.com And she loves it. White gold with sapphires
I like sapphires and emeralds more than diamonds. I wouldn't want a diamond engagement ring.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM

581 posts, read 1,164,360 times
Congratulations on a big step in your life, and a very joyous one. My dad also crafted the wax form on a dowel, formed the mold, melted the gold, and centrifugally cast the ring; also cut and polished stones. He taught me a lot (used to make my own muzzle loader 'flints' from agate on a diamond saw), and this may sound crazy, and perhaps not as romantic as some may like, but I have always found great deals at pawn shops for good quality diamonds that you can reset to your tastes.

Obviously you do have to know how and what to look for, but as its said, a diamond is forever, but people/peoples hearts are not, so a "used" diamond of good quality is just that no worse for wear. FWIW, I found the widest variety, and best choices the closer I got to military posts, where pawn shops surround them. As an Infantry officer, I saw plenty of heartbreak unfortunately between folks, cheating spouses, you name it, and jewelry was always one of the first things to wind up at a pawn shop, and some of it damn nice. I have no shame saying my lovely wife's very good quality diamond engagement ring came from a Ft Benning area pawn shop (really nice gold chains too), and it allowed a broke 2LT to buy her quality that would have been 5x more for the same @ Zales, Jarred, whatever.

Lastly, and I'm sure you know this, but diamonds meant for jewelry only exist to be beautiful. It gets all too easy for a dealer to start the blind them with BS, techno-speak, certificates, charts, whatever, rather than sticking to the rule of if it looks good, it probably is... Really should almost take your breath away when you see good quality hitting on all cylinders. Too many folks want to impress by carat size, and end up with a dull, lifeless, cloudy, full of inclusions large brown poorly cut stone, when they should have spent the same on the best quality they can afford in a smaller stone. Sorry, but nothing looks more tacky than a large poorly cut/poor quality stone, or one too large for the persons hand. Again, congratulations, and enjoy your search!

Old 12-07-2011, 08:23 AM

1,759 posts, read 3,410,696 times
Quote:
Lastly, and I'm sure you know this, but diamonds meant for jewelry only exist to be beautiful. It gets all too easy for a dealer to start the blind them with BS, techno-speak, certificates, charts, whatever, rather than sticking to the rule of if it looks good, it probably is... [LEFT]
[/LEFT]
To a degree, that's true. But the superideal cuts do outperform the average, in a wide variety pf lighting conditions. Almost any diamond can look good in jewelry store lights. The best cut look great anyplace. Pricescope.com and goodoldgold.com are great sources for educating yourselves on the 4 Cs: cut, color. clarity, cost.

Regarding the certificates and measurements: There are small nuances about diamonds that can greatly affect their value. If you are buying at pawn shops, then maybe you don't care so much about getting documentation. But keep in mind that in the event of loss or damage, you'll need or prove the quality and specs of your diamond in order to get an appropriate replacement or settlement from insurance.

I own this diamond: Diamond - GoodOldGold.com I also own several estate rings and antique diamonds and pawn shop acquisitions. But that super-ideal diamond can't be beat. It's ISEE@ score is 9.8.

I also own this one, a pawn shop diamond that was 1.12ct M VVS1 and lopsided when I bought it. I had it recut by Brian Gavin Diamonds, and it's now a hearts and arrows diamond and the color is probably a high L (light yellow) now. So, don't rule out the "warmer" diamonds. They can be very pretty, and inexpensive. I never sent this recut one for re-cert but probably should. eta: It's 1.02ct after recut.

No affiliation. Just a Pricescope reader and happy GoodOldGold and Brian Gavin customer.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:59 AM

4,338 posts, read 6,478,560 times
Just a word about insurance. I think you will need an rider to your homeowner's insurance/rental insurance. Our's is about 125 a year. We had to get an appraisal for our insurance company. The receipt wasn't enough. This was to our advantage because the appraisal was more than what I paid for the ring.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:05 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,050,186 times
I went to a really small place called Werner Jewelers in the North Hills. They had really good reviews online so I decided to give them a try. The guy in there was helpful and patient and didn't bother with double speak. He also showed me straight up the current price of gold and the dealer only website showing what diamonds would look like in my price range.

Also, whenever he called me with an update he kept his messages vague so it wouldn't tip off my fiance that I was getting calls from a jeweler so that it was a surprise when I popped the question. I ended up popping the question this past summer in Austria and my fiance was super pleased with the ring. So overall I'd say I had a great experience with that place.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:10 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,270,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
So I'm going to do the whole proposing thing soon, yikes
But anyways, where do people recommend looking at rings around here? Everyone I talk to says the Clark building. Now I don't know if they havent been there for awhile, I picked a bad day or what.... but, I had a free minute and stopped down there the other day & quite frankly, the people working there I wouldn't buy a used car from. Now, given my time constraint, I only stopped at the places on the ground floor, so maybe i just had a bad impression from those places, but all the sales people I saw had hair slicked back as greased up as possible, tight ed hardy esque shirts, and big 'old gold chains (think stereotypical russian mob wannabe look) - not someone I an comfortable handing over a large sum of money too.
Are there good places in the Clark building? Other stores people recommend?

No chain jewelry stores either please.

Thanks!
I bought my wife's ring from Casa D'Oro in Warrendale. Big selection, plus they were extremely helpful. Their prices were also decent at the time. The other thing I liked is that they followed up after the sale. Twice sent me new appraisal forms to reflect the increased value of the ring. Six years after I bought it.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,285,494 times
Another vote for Casa D'Oro. They matched the price of a comparable diamond on Blue Nile for me.

Also, if you have your ring shipped to an out of state address, you won't pay sales tax.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:39 AM

4,338 posts, read 6,478,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Another vote for Casa D'Oro. They matched the price of a comparable diamond on Blue Nile for me.

Also, if you have your ring shipped to an out of state address, you won't pay sales tax.
Another way to do it is to have them ship an empty box to an out-of-state address.

Old 12-07-2011, 09:57 AM

472 posts, read 566,902 times
I recommend John Anthony Jewelers also I personally know Mr. John Anthony to be a stand up guy who will NOT rip you off.

Coincidently a friend of a friend just posted her ring online, 1ct Wedding Set Platinum (http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/jwl/2740564263.html - broken link)

Old 12-07-2011, 10:48 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,267 posts, read 3,377,271 times
I bought a rock at Bluenile.com at a huge discount. It came on a fake ring and I proposed to her using that. Then we went shopping together and she got to pick out her own ring.

Highly reccomend this method.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh