U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,969,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannagraham77 View Post
Hi all, We're new to Pittsburgh (living in Moon) and have family coming into town for the holidays. I'm looking for some fun things to do around the area.
  • Are there any holiday events that take place?
  • Any places around the area that are 'must-sees' during the holidays?
  • Are there any great places to go look at Christmas lights?
We'll have a range from 2-4 year olds to teens to grandparents so all ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
We're planning on going ice skating for the first time this weekend. We love to skate at Schenley Park for a great rustic feel and a great view of downtown and Oakland, and then you have PPG Place downtown. A few of the county parks have skating too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 08:17 AM

859 posts, read 1,394,143 times
PPG Place is a mini Rockefeller Center with ice-skating and such.

Pittsburgh Penguins have just opened up an ice rink at South Side Works, as well. I don't know how Christmas-y it is, but it's there.

Hartwood Acres and Oglebay are nice, large light-displays. A little closer to Moon, though, (albeit smaller) is Findlay Township Christmas Light-Up at Clinton Park. They're open 5-10 each night and it's $10 donation per car. Home

Old 12-08-2011, 08:25 AM

1,020 posts, read 850,488 times
Oglebay Park is a great idea; I would suggest trying to get there at dusk, otherwise there can be a very long line of cars in front of you. Phipps Conservatory is another good choice.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:48 AM

660 posts, read 523,204 times
I would also take the t out to the south hills area, there are excellent places to dine out that way, especially in mt Lebanon, where a new hotel will be built by next summer, right on the t line, you can shop and eat there during yourstay and its beautiful and very safe too!

Old 12-08-2011, 01:40 PM

150 posts, read 122,670 times
In my opionion Hartwood has a far superior light display. Oglebay is ok...especially if you're staying overnight...but after a decent car ride I thought it was a disappointment. I also like that Hartwood's donation is for charity (Project Bundle Up I think).

Some other options:

Kennywood has a holiday light display for the first time this year. I've heard good things from co-workers and there is a $2 off per person coupon at Giant Eagle. Kennywood - Events and Promotions

Overly's in another of our favorite places at Christmas. They have a beautiful light display and it's fun to sit around the fire with some hot chocolate. Overly's Country Christmas

The Gateway Clipper offers some holiday themed cruises. Pittsburgh Weddings - Pittsburgh Tours - Pittsburgh Dining on the Gateway Clipper Fleet

If you, or any of your family members, are sports fans, the Harlem Globetrotters are at the Consol the day after Christmas and the Steelers play at home on Christmas Eve. It's usually difficult to get Steelers tickets but I wouldn't be surprised if they're easier to get for that game.

The Pittsburgh Zoo is also open all-year round and is fun on a milder day.

Hope this helps. Have fun!

Old 12-08-2011, 02:50 PM

784 posts, read 934,786 times
Oglebay is a bit of drive but we thought it was worth it.....we had to sit in traffic crawling up the hill but it was still good!

Winter Festival of Lights at Oglebay Resort & Conference Center Wheeling, WV

Hours & Information
The Winter Festival of Lights is viewable Sunday through Thursday until 10:00 p.m. and on Friday and Saturday until 11:00 p.m. A per car donation is requested and is valid for the entire festival season. Visitors making a $20.00 donation will receive a DVD of the Festival of Lights and Oglebay story. Trolley tours are offered several times each night beginning at Wilson Lodge.

Oglebay, and the Winter Festival of Lights, is located 4 miles from I-70 at Exit 2A. It is 60 miles from Pittsburgh via I-79 south and I-70 west; 120 miles from Columbus via I-70 east; and 150 miles from Cleveland via I-77 south and I-70 east. See location for further directions.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:01 PM

738 posts, read 606,579 times
If you are looking for a day out in the "country", another option is Overly's Country Christmas at the Westmoreland County Fairgrounds near Greensburg. Overly's Country Christmas

Also, Ligonier is always nicely decorated for Christmas, with the Diamond strung with lights, a tree in the bandstand, and votives lining the streets of downtown. Ligonier.com Ligonier, PA Official Web Site of Ligonier, Pennsylvania

Old 12-12-2011, 01:55 AM

1,237 posts, read 876,316 times
Drink, hunt deer, watch football.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times
Anyone have any photos of the holiday lights in Pittsburgh? Do they put up lights along the river, or anything like that?

Old 12-12-2011, 07:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 15,628,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Phipps Conservatory, a Victorian-era (since updated) greenhouse and gardens (and an excellent suggestion, I might add):

Pittsburgh Attractions | Phipps Conservatory
Victorian houses look so great with light displays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh