Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 08:02 AM

441 posts, read 763,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
Now I have a legitimate question regarding this issue. I see a lot of people, not just on this board, saying, "I'll never eat at Panera again." Aren't these allegations just toward the stores owned by Covelli and not the entire corporation?

I can't imagine that every Panera Bread restaurant across the nation identifies with the allegations at hand.
Here's why I won't eat at any Panera again. These accusations first surfaced in a lawsuit filed in 2003, so at the very least, the Panera corporation has been aware of the issue for eight years. They had eight years to fix this problem, and obviously they didn't. Not only do they have to contend with another lawsuit making the same complaints, but there are hordes of former employees across the internet agreeing that these discriminatory practices are still alive and well in Covelli-owned restaurants. It's not a stretch to assume that the Panera corporation is turning a blind eye to Covelli's racism, and by extension, condoning it.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:12 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,696,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People don't apply for jobs only where they live. That's silly. And if a black guy works at the Mt. Lebanon Panera and gets shoved in the back of the store because of his gender and color, then that's discrimination.
It's tricky, all the employer has to say is that he worked in the back because he was better suited for that position and that's that. So screwed up.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,220,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
People don't apply for jobs only where they live. That's silly.

Although that is true, for low paying jobs like those at Panera and other restaurant and retail outfits, most people aren't likely to be applying from any great distances. People are just a whole lot less likely to commute long distances for little money.

No one has been hired yet to work at the new Centre Ave. Shop n Save, but I'll bet dollar to donuts that the staff which is hired will reflect the ethnic makeup more of those in the immediate Hill District area than the Pittsburgh region in general.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:35 AM

659 posts, read 1,142,919 times
I have seen alot of 40 somethings behind the counter at panera, not all very attractive either...I go to Panera a few times a week..who knows if it discrimation or not...needs to be fully investigated...however I will support Sandra, its the workers who you hurt most when you boycott a company, the little people. Not doing that.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:39 AM

659 posts, read 1,142,919 times
Aqua teen has a point and its not racist...this was on 60 minutes last year...white men are now being discrimated against...I hope the discrimation law that protects blacks, women etc will also protect white men too!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,681,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
I shop at Waterworks and I see black people working in just about every store I go to.

Then you and Hopes (imagine that) are both hallucinating. I would be more than willing to meet any of you down there and walk with you through every store to prove my point. The theater and Wal Mart have the most relatively larger number of black employees.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM

747 posts, read 1,227,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
We get it. You don't like white people. Just come out and type it already. Yeesh.
I don't hate or dislike anyone, It's not the christian way.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:51 AM

893 posts, read 1,320,665 times
How this thread should have went.....

That's an absolute disgrace, This owner needs to be exposed we as a country cannot continue to live by these prejudices way..

or

I love parena bread i probably will still eat there but i will definitely write a letter to the owner to express my huge disappointment.

But we have people on this forum accepting the practices of this owner. For example (aqua teen carl) says: basically its been like that forever! its just the way it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
All companies do this whether they admit it or not. At one of the major corporations I worked at, all of the sales people were hot 20 something females.

None of this is right morally (I personally think it's very screwed up), but that's the reality of American corporations. The author of that Tartan article must be a young person who hasn't experienced the reality of the workplace quite yet. It's awful, it blows, and its sometimes illegal, but everyone does it.
So for the many years Americans discriminated against gays "it just the way it is" the years African Americans were discriminated against & jim crow laws "it just the way it is" the last 1,000 years women didnt have any rights "it just the way it is". Cut me a break this doesn't have to be the way it is! Its like that because we allow ignorant ba$tards like covelli to continue doing this crap!!

So to every poster accepting the practice of this owner YOU ARE NOT RIGHT! You are actually pretty darn ignorant!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:57 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,681,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashan5 View Post
How this thread should have went.....

That's an absolute disgrace, This owner needs to be exposed we as a country cannot continue to live by these prejudices way..

or

I love parena bread i probably will still eat there but i will definitely write a letter to the owner to express my huge disappointment.

But we have people on this forum accepting the practices of this owner. For example (aqua teen carl) says: basically its been like that forever! its just the way it is...

So for the many years Americans discriminated against gays "it just the way it is" the years African Americans were discriminated against & jim crow laws "it just the way it is" the last 1,000 years women didnt have any rights "it just the way it is". Cut me a break this doesn't have to be the way it is! Its like that because we allow ignorant ba$tards like covelli to continue doing this crap!!

So to every poster accepting the practice of this owner YOU ARE NOT RIGHT! You are actually pretty darn ignorant!
Booo hooo hoooo..........these lawsuits are brought about by people who aren't getting where they want to go with their company, and instead of improving their skills and furthering their mind, they resort to this.

And to all the young single men (and women), there are most definitely some beautiful young women working in the area Paneras!

Old 12-09-2011, 08:58 AM

893 posts, read 1,320,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Aqua teen has a point and its not racist...this was on 60 minutes last year...white men are now being discrimated against...I hope the discrimation law that protects blacks, women etc will also protect white men too!
Protect whites cut me a break, whites have been protected for the last 235years (1776 Declaration of Independence) how about just hiring the best person for the job. & trust be every white woman isn't the most qualified " cash register receptionist "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh