Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 12:25 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't think youngabe was implying that your son was lying just that there could be many reasons the manager said what he said. Perhaps your son seemed overqualified, or he was much younger then who they hire, etc., etc., - to automatically label a manager a racist because something they said could somehow be construed as such without knowing any other facts is nothing more then hypothesizing in a negative light.
Thank you...bingo...

Old 12-09-2011, 12:26 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Why would it be "discrimination"? Because you say so? What if the guy wasn't able to handle that job well? Maybe his math skills are lacking? Maybe he doesn't have a friendly personality and should be more in the back of the house? Is that so hard to believe? Is it ONLY because he happens to be black some law was broken? What if he was white and didn't have the math skills or people skills for the checkout spot? Oh all would be fine then, he was white so he must not be a good fit for that job.

This kind of stuff is really sad, IMHO. Some just love to point the finger any chance they get and use it as some excuse. To be quite honest, the Target in East Liberty is CLEARLY discriminatory against white people. I mean, there is NO WAY there can be that kind of racial hiring without race being part of the process. Does anyone dare say such a thing? Of course not. I mean, who are the whites anyway? How dare they think such a thing. The must be members of the KKK. What a joke!

This topic is so played. When will it end? A black president must not be enough to show we are doing well in the US with race. Just some like to use it as some hold back excuse. I don't believe it. TONS of VERY successful blacks all over the place. No excuses IMHO. Just people saying things like that to try and make them feel better about themselves or some such thing. I am moving on from these topics. I don't believe in them.
Why would it not be? Because you said so? Your honest opinion is so one sided. What is a hold back excuse? I along with most of my family and friends have never made or tolerated excuses. In my family the "white man this" and "white man that" argument would get your ass wooped. We were taught to do what we had to do in order to get ahead, period.

We have a black president but we also have a black unemployment rate that went up over the past month while the overall rate went down. We also have inequality with our education system. We also reside in most of the communites impacted by the morgage fallout and predatory lending practices. We also have a disproportionate amount of young black men (who should be on college campuses) in jail do to the double standard with drug sentencing guidlines.

We do however hold more executive positions in corporate america outside of whites. We do spend more per capita than any other race when it comes to consumer goods. Prior to the great recession, at least half of us were middle class. We have achieved alot in the last 40 years and this needs to continue.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:29 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
Damn Bretons, Nords, and Imperials holding us Redguards down! Don't even get me started on them back stabbing Khajiit and those Dark Elves talking all our jobs! Us Redguards are the real dudes that hold down Tamriel!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Yes, I am sure it happened. It was some dumb manager that was an idiot. Does that mean it is 70% of the managers out there that focus on race? I hardly think so. Just look around at stores all over the place. TONS of all races everywhere. Don't focus on that one odd manager that is some uneducated person. Focus on the masses. The masses tell all we should put such things behind us and move forward, not use some excuse because someone look Chinese they will not be hired. Goodness, the US is such a melting pot it is hard to tell what is going on.
Excuse me. I need to remind you that I was responding to your post about reverse descrimination at the Target in East Liberty. I provided you with a similar example of how a white teen can't get hired at the Burger King in Manchester. Why is the Burger King scenario any different from your Target scenario? Because the manager was white? That's the only thing different about our examples.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't think youngabe was implying that your son was lying just that there could be many reasons the manager said what he said. Perhaps your son seemed overqualified, or he was much younger then who they hire, etc., etc., - to automatically label a manager a racist because something they said could somehow be construed as such without knowing any other facts is nothing more then hypothesizing in a negative light.
His conclusion was based on the fact that there are no white workers and the manager's tone. The manager made what he meant VERY clear.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:37 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,702,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopes View Post
his conclusion was based on the fact that there are no white workers and the manager's tone. The manager made what he meant very clear.
bottom line, if hopes says it, or her kid says it, it has to be true! Dont no one say nuthin bad bout miss hopes!

Old 12-09-2011, 12:51 PM

It's laughable that some of the people who are ranting about reverse descrimination are opposing the Burger King example.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's laughable that some of the people who are ranting about reverse descrimination are opposing the Burger King example.
...because your example isn't what people were talking about. Basically your example says that the white manager was racist toward his black employees and assumed your son would also share his assumed racist views, therefore, he was told he shouldn't work there. Your example still shows white on black racism. If the manager was black and told your white son, "No." then it would have been a better example.

But all that aside, we still can't say just what the BK manager was even implying by his statement to your son, so it's all irrelevant.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:22 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,915 times
Quote:
Curtis, you shop at Waterworks. You can't deny that most of the AA workers provide far superior customer service than most of their white counterparts there. That's been my experience at Waterworks at least. I have a hard time believing that all workers relegated to the back room are there for merely for having substandard skills, especially if only white workers are in the front. That's the tell tale sign---the separation between the back and the front---because qualified black do exist for the front line positions!

I have no idea what you are talking about. Firstly I don't pay any attention to such a thing. I rarely shop at the Waterworks and hate that place, but when I do, I don't think about what color a person is and are they giving me better service because they are some color/race/sex or whatever. Do people even think of such a thing? I can't tell you the percentage of black employees vs. white at the Waterworks, because it all blends together and is meaningless. Just people working in retail. Whatever! That is not the case at the Target in East Liberty. I would have to be blind not to see race was involved in hiring when it is that out of proportion. I never said ANYTHING about a black person not being qualified for any job. I said, A PERSON. That could be any person and there are some that should NOT work front of the house jobs. Plenty of white, black hispanics, indian and whatever NOT qualified and plenty that are qualified. I think everyone knows that. My point is obvious, all this has nothing to do with race. Not saying there are some managers that discriminate or whatever, but overall, I would have to say that is VERY rare! Lots of opportunity out there for everyone. There are also plenty of people looking for excuses. I am not buying that crap, so try selling it elsewhere.

Now if you run into a manager that obviously looks at race. Here is an idea. Go somewhere else. I wouldn't apply at that Target in East Liberty for example. I don't think they would hire me and if they did, I don't think I would be treated fairly. Are there places that might be like that against black people? Probably yes, but that isn't an entire company, that is a poor manager that is uneducated. We can't fix every problem, but at the end of the day we have had white presidents and now a black one. Probably will have a women one soon enough. They run the entire place and are elected. I think race and the sexist thing are becoming a excuses used like some crutch. Too much opportunity to worry about some loser manager that hires with race in mind. They exist and probably will always be around. Just go to a different place and move on.
The East Liberty Target store discriminates against white people? What about the stores that have 90-100% white employees. in a metro like Pittsburgh, that is not hard to find. Do you assume that these stores have racist hiring practices. This makes absolutley no sense what so ever.

A store in the heart of the black section of Pittsburgh has a majority black staff. How racist is that? Your entire response is based on one sided assumptions with no truth whatsoever.

Old 12-09-2011, 01:23 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,892,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oh, I know for a FACT my son was telling the truth. My son has never been required by me to have a job. He never wanted for money either. He simply wanted to work and wanted to do it near school because it was convenient. So there is no reason whatsoever for him to come home telling me a fake story about why he couldn't get one. And he likes black people. He really does. That's why he was so offended by the manager's comment!
So did he apply anyway? Get the job? Like the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh