Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 11,823 times

Advertisements

I have the chance to purchase a home in Freedom, Pa. Very good price. I do have children. I do not know the area. I work from home, so I do have income. I am not worried about the work there.
Is it somewhat a safe area?
Do they have police?
Any tips would be great, thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 PM

28 posts, read 91,416 times
Is it just a Freedom address, or are you actually in the borough of Freedom?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 AM

1,758 posts, read 4,230,638 times
So this is Freedom?

The Housemartins , Freedom - YouTube

See how much I help?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:50 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I know nothing about Freedom.

But I did a google search and there is a police department.

Freedom Police Department

Call and ask if there are officers on duty 24/7. If not, ask what arrangements they have with neighboring townships for off-hours coverage.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,374,809 times
It used to stink because of the oil tanks. It keeps getting better as a place to live. Possibly one of the better places to live in Beaver Valley.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:17 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
The actual Freedom Borough down by the river and Rt 65 is not too appealing IMO, but it's not unsafe that I know of. There are a number of surrounding areas that have a Freedom address so you may wish to clarify if you happen to know that the house is in the borough or just has an address listing Freedom. Much if not all of mostly very rural New Sewickley Township has a Freedom address, for example, as well as parts of Economy Borough. We seem to spend a ton on police here in Economy. I don't know much about New Sewickley police, though there is a police department there.

Freedom Area School District is adequate, ranks reasonably high in some testing overall. New Sewickley is also in the Freedom Area district, but Economy is in Ambridge Area so that would be a difference. The closest larger shopping area to Freedom Borough is in the vicinity of Beaver Valley Mall (across the river in Center Township). It's just a few miles away. Beaver has a nice downtown area with a few shops, including a just moved independent toy store. And treat the kids to Hank's Frozen Custard, just up Rt 65 in New Brighton. But if the place is in New Sewickley or Economy you will probably find that Cranberry is the closer shopping area, or at least it would be equidistant.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
I lived in New Sewickley with a Freedom address. At that time Freedom contracted with the Rochester police. I see that they have their own police now. They are usually part time officers that work for several different neighboring towns. Freedom itself wasn't ever really dangerous, it just looked like a crap hole. Harry Gilarno is still the king of Freedom, and enjoys butting heads with the local politicians.

Give us a better idea of where it is, and we can give you better details.

Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 PM

62 posts, read 98,961 times
There are some nice subdivisions that have Freedom addresses that are a stone throw away from Cranberry Twp. Feels a little rural, but not far from shopping (plus Sack and Save is there on Freedom Road near the border.) New Brighton, which is pretty close, has a nice main street feel to it. I was actually pleasantly surprised the first time I drive through New Brighton.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,823 times
Sorry, I was confused about freedom. This would be right up the street from rt65. I think the street itself goes down to 65. Looks a little dumpy on google earth. But then maybe I am being to harsh?

Old 12-09-2011, 05:40 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stremby View Post
Looks a little dumpy on google earth. But then maybe I am being to harsh?

Yep, that's Freedom. Dumpy, but not dangerous.

You can see that the town itself isn't very big. They removed the first couple of roads to build Rt. 65.

You can get a really good view from bing maps. 9th Street is located between the fire station, and Gilarno's garage. Follow it up the hill into New Sewickley. I used to live by the water tower at the top of the hill.

9th street also leads into Lovi, and Freedom Crider Rd's. They take you to Cranberry Township.

I haven't looked to see if Google Street View is operational there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh