Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 07:52 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,888 times

Advertisements

Yes the direction has been going south for sometime, esp in the last ten years or so...its not good people but hey dont take my word for it, go read up on it, like curtis did (at least he asked bout it and I have to give him credit for that!)...and dont worry, they will be removed, a new law that just passed with ensure that, if they overstay their welcome that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 08:21 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times
Here's the problem they are on private property. Organizers of the Occupy Pittsburgh tent encampment said today they are "seizing" the BNY Mellon's privately owned park in Downtown, will rename it "People's Park," and will serve BNY Mellon with an eviction notice Monday.

Read more: Occupy Pittsburgh defies eviction; seizes Downtown park

They are on private property, and should be given a few hours notice to disperse, and if they don't they should be rounded up and thrown in jail.

If these people worked this hard at their careers, as they do on these protests they could really make something of themselves. They are just espousing communist views veiled as a populist movement.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:27 PM

tread...not everyone believes in espousing communist views there, many are against that too, its a mixed bag there, and there is alot of chaos going on, but dont worry, they will be rounded up soon if they dont leave, with the new law in place, no doubt bout it...

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
I love what the protesters are saying, they're spot-on, but all that effort is going to amount to nothing. As Dmitri Orlov once said in comparing the brutal repression of dissidents in the Soviet Union to the American way: "The American way of dealing with dissent and with protest is certainly more advanced: why imprison dissidents when you can just let them shout into the wind to their heart's content?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:38 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Yep...Full Moon Out Tonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Here's the problem they are on private property. Organizers of the Occupy Pittsburgh tent encampment said today they are "seizing" the BNY Mellon's privately owned park in Downtown, will rename it "People's Park," and will serve BNY Mellon with an eviction notice Monday.

Read more: Occupy Pittsburgh defies eviction; seizes Downtown park

They are on private property, and should be given a few hours notice to disperse, and if they don't they should be rounded up and thrown in jail.

If these people worked this hard at their careers, as they do on these protests they could really make something of themselves. They are just espousing communist views veiled as a populist movement.
Same goes for you as the other fella...you can sit on your bee-hind, and call folks communists, and populists, and 'fact-group donut eaters' 'til you're blue in the face...

Once again, the OP actually went down and saw with his own eyes what was going on, and came back and POSTED said views, to share with the rest of us...I'm really terribly sorry if it makes you lose your widdle temper, because dem nasty ol' people are down there actually trying to speak out about something they disagree with, instead of sitting behind a computer and spewing out hot air that could better be used to float balloons...

But, tough...all your bellyaching and lip-flapping aren't going to change the fact that you can do (and have done) nothing except sit somewhere and criticize and generally take up space...no matter how much you bellow, history will show that, right or wrong, these people (in Pittsburgh anyway) took a stand for something they believed in...and last time I looked, taking a stand is as American as it gets, not a page from the 'Communist Manifesto' or 'Populism For Dummies'

Old 12-11-2011, 08:42 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
Organizers of the Occupy Pittsburgh tent encampment said today they are "seizing" the BNY Mellon's privately owned park in Downtown, will rename it "People's Park," and will serve BNY Mellon with an eviction notice Monday.
And they wonder why they aren't taken seriously.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:50 PM

That is not very responsible of them, this is what makes it not ok, why not just clean up and call it a day? Sad.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I'll echo everyone else's sentiments thus far when I salute you, h_curtis, for actually going down to the encampment and striking up conversations with some of the Occupiers so you could learn more about their movement. I, too, am always in a rush when I'm Downtown (typically making deliveries and praying my car isn't ticketed), but I hope to do some last-minute Christmas shopping at Macy's in the next week, and if I do I'm hoping to scope the camp out on my way down from Polish Hill.

For what it's worth a multi-billion dollar corporation like BNY Mellon isn't going to feel very threatened that a few hundred pacifists are unhappy with their corporate values (or apparent lack thereof). I applaud and salute these valiant and enduring women and men for their perseverance, patience, and resilience; however, in the long run this is pretty pointless. A year from now they'll be gone from this site, and Washington, DC will still reek of political toxins and Wall Street avarice. Call me cynical or jaded if you must, but I don't foresee what long-lasting impact these folks are going to have in changing the course of this nation.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:54 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
They can always occupy Polish Hill instead and help to boost our population to 0!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:29 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Same goes for you as the other fella...you can sit on your bee-hind, and call folks communists, and populists, and 'fact-group donut eaters' 'til you're blue in the face...

Once again, the OP actually went down and saw with his own eyes what was going on, and came back and POSTED said views, to share with the rest of us...I'm really terribly sorry if it makes you lose your widdle temper, because dem nasty ol' people are down there actually trying to speak out about something they disagree with, instead of sitting behind a computer and spewing out hot air that could better be used to float balloons...

But, tough...all your bellyaching and lip-flapping aren't going to change the fact that you can do (and have done) nothing except sit somewhere and criticize and generally take up space...no matter how much you bellow, history will show that, right or wrong, these people (in Pittsburgh anyway) took a stand for something they believed in...and last time I looked, taking a stand is as American as it gets, not a page from the 'Communist Manifesto' or 'Populism For Dummies'
I won't listen to a word they have to say until they get off private property. We have the right to assembly, but not on private property. That is on one great things about this country is its private property rights, and these interlopers are running all over them. Go down to point state park and make your point.

Us tea partiers would have like to have laid around all day for weeks on end but we had careers, businesses and families to take care of.

Finally I live in Charlotte now, and I've been to our movement, and trust me if those are the 99% I'm part of the 1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh