Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think Pghers like more and would vote for?
RON PAUL, we need some serious real change! 11 26.83%
Mitt Romney, I think he represents us well and I will vote for him! 4 9.76%
I am voting for my dog or just will not vote! 4 9.76%
I am afraid I will have to vote for Obama again! 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 01:13 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,888 times

Advertisements

I agree...he signed away many rights of Americans lately...where is the outrage? Oh I see that is just reserved for bush and company!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 01:15 PM

659 posts, read 1,145,888 times
Ron Paul or anyone like him would never be allowed in office.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:23 PM

531 posts, read 501,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINDCHIMES View Post
Reaffirming my once-waning faith in the American voter.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:27 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
It's not a conspiracy. If enough people vote for him, he'll win. That isn't going to happen.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
No one forced his signature & if he had reservations about something as important as eroding people's liberty then he should not have signed the thing.
Of course that is a very different point from claiming he "gladly" signed those provisions into law.

Personally, I think that with the modifications that were made in the final version, it ends up being true that the 2012 NDAA doesn't actually change much about U.S. detention policy, legally or practically. The real issue, then, is that people may not like the existing U.S. detention policies.

And in fact I don't either, and I think it is long past time for Congress to step in and provide a comprehensive legal framework for dealing with these issues. But to make this into an issue about Obama and the 2012 NDAA specifically to me is just distracting from that greater issue.

Last edited by BrianTH; 01-10-2012 at 01:44 PM..

Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
Or...(D) Everyone is misinterpreting and misunderstanding what the NDAA provisions actually do.
Quote:
(b) APPLICABILITY TO UNITED STATES CITIZENS AND LAWFUL
RESIDENT ALIENS.—
(1) UNITED STATES CITIZENS.—The requirement to detain
a person in military custody under this section does not extend
to citizens of the United States.
This is saying that US citizens are now exempt from the power of military detention, but merely from the requirement of military detention. At least that's how some interpret it.

Which is problematic in and of itself, such a grave issue should not be so ambiguous and open for wide interpretation.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Correct, because his views on far too many policy issues, including core issues of international relationship and economic policy, are unacceptable to far too many voters.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
This is saying that US citizens are now exempt from the power of military detention, but merely from the requirement of military detention. At least that's how some interpret it.
But it also doesn't expand the power to detain US citizens beyond what the AUMFs and the courts already authorized.

Quote:
Which is problematic in and of itself, such a grave issue should not be so ambiguous and open for wide interpretation.
Totally agree. What should have happened is this: as soon as it became clear that our existing laws did not adequately cover many detention cases arising in the "war on terrorism" context, Congress should have laid out a comprehensive legal system for those cases, including judicial review. The courts would then have had ample opportunity to examine the constitutional sufficiency of that system, and Congress could have modified the system as they saw how it functioned in practice.

What happened instead is that the Bush Administration, along with its allies in Congress and the courts, tried to keep Congress from playing its proper role in this area, and further tried to prevent any judicial review of their actions. Ultimately the Supreme Court rejected the notion that the courts had no role to play in reviewing these cases, and further upheld congressional supremacy in this area. What should have happened next is all the above--Congress should have started from square one and laid out a comprehensive legal system.

But Congress still hasn't done that, and that is where the 2012 NDAA ended up too--for all the sound and fury, at the end it really just punted on the core issues once more. That is really not a good outcome, and displays political cowardice on the part of Congress.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dark View Post
Huh? The Patriot Act is law, and has been for the past ten years. Bush signed it in 2001. It was reauthorized in 2005 and again in 2006. Last year, Obama extended a four year extension of its main provisions, after a shorter one-year extension in 2010.
Glad you agree with what I said. He resigned or extended it. He is the same as bush in most ways.

Old 01-10-2012, 02:52 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's not a conspiracy. If enough people vote for him, he'll win. That isn't going to happen.
Maybe not this time, but someone like him will win at some point. People are getting tired of windbags that do nothing and keep spending money on military and a bunch of other garbage. Guess what? We actually can't afford to keep all this up. We actually do need to change our world police policies. If we don't we are going to fall and fall hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh