Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who do you think Pghers like more and would vote for?
RON PAUL, we need some serious real change! 11 26.83%
Mitt Romney, I think he represents us well and I will vote for him! 4 9.76%
I am voting for my dog or just will not vote! 4 9.76%
I am afraid I will have to vote for Obama again! 22 53.66%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 06:50 PM

268 posts, read 374,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Correct, because his views on far too many policy issues, including core issues of international relationship and economic policy, are unacceptable to far too many voters.
I suppose policing the world, getting involved in everyone's business, starting unnecessary wars, and having all these bases around the globe including wealthy nations like Japan, Germany, and South Korea (which also costs trillions of dollars) is sensible foreign policy for MANY voters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Glad you agree with what I said. He resigned or extended it. He is the same as bush in most ways.
Obama and Bush would be appropriately described as "Imperial Presidents," which is a danger to our constitutional liberties. The Executive Branch was never intended to have that much power. But, you'll see some posts on here defending him at all costs . If the election comes down to Obama and Romney there will be fierce competition for the uneducated, ignorant, and easily manipulated voters.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Supporters like mike02 are also not helping Paul's cause.

Anyway, there is indeed an audience for Paul's anti-militarism, although the Republican primaries are not necessarily the best place to find such an audience. But things like Paul's UN conspiracy theories, and his general aversion to peaceful international cooperation, would be deal-breakers for most of that audience. That leaves the intersecting set of people who would find his entire set of views on foreign policy issues acceptable very small.

Or, in other words, the John Birch worldview remains a fringe worldview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X554O6TwiYM

Old 01-10-2012, 09:37 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike02 View Post
Never say never. But I know the GOP strategy is to keep propping up a "not-Romney" candidate each week. First we had Cain, then Newt, then Santorum, and now it appears Huntsman's polling is increasing in NH. Of course the GOP doesn't want Ron Paul. Nor does the mainstream media. But the people? That's questionable at this point. Don't forget that Ron Paul has been attracting support from independents and former Obama supporters (especially those against the wars and nation building).

BTW, did you quote Donald Trump? He said something similar.
From what I saw with tonight. Huntsman was 3rd tonight so he doesn't look likely to be gaining steam. I think Newt and Perry will definitely be bowing out now with another awful finish for both tonight. While I may not agree with Ron Paul on a few things, I do respect him as someone is always telling the truth on how they see something and doesn't cave into what other people would want him to say.

Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Supporters like mike02 are also not helping Paul's cause.

Anyway, there is indeed an audience for Paul's anti-militarism, although the Republican primaries are not necessarily the best place to find such an audience. But things like Paul's UN conspiracy theories, and his general aversion to peaceful international cooperation, would be deal-breakers for most of that audience. That leaves the intersecting set of people who would find his entire set of views on foreign policy issues acceptable very small.

Or, in other words, the John Birch worldview remains a fringe worldview:

Ron Paul in 1998 John Birch Society Documentary on the UN Plot to take over America - YouTube
Supporters like BrianTH are not helping Obama's cause.

Paul might have a point about the UN.

Democrats Oppose Obama-U.N. Gun Control Treaty - Washington Whispers (usnews.com)

Researchers predict UN Arms Trade Treaty will be finalized by summer - National gun rights | Examiner.com

And a great youtube video of Obama being upfront and honest about his foreign policy plans if elected (circa 2007-2008)

Obama filmed lying - YouTube

I can't wait to see his campaign promises this time around when he visits all 57 states!

Should I mention "Fast & Furious?"

"Fast And Furious" Just Might Be President Obama's Watergate - Forbes

Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 PM

It appears Mitt Romney won New Hampshire with Ron Paul in 2nd place. What happened to Paul having no chance in hell? It's just the beginning folks.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:42 AM

482 posts, read 1,233,832 times
Quote:
It appears Mitt Romney won New Hampshire with Ron Paul in 2nd place. What happened to Paul having no chance in hell? It's just the beginning folks.
Rick Santorum had no chance in hell in Iowa... doesn't mean a lot.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Correct, because his views on far too many policy issues, including core issues of international relationship and economic policy, are unacceptable to far too many voters.
So you feel if Paul got voted in, he wouldn't be allowed to be president? Kind of scary. Are we now just a full fledged military complex that strong-arms its people into whatever they want?

Old 01-11-2012, 07:14 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Paul's best chance is as an independent. I know a lot of Democrats that are looking at him as someone to vote for. I am one of them. I like many of his ideas, but of course there are plenty I don't like. That would be true with everyone I have voted for though. Never agree with 100% of what they say. Not that it matters though because non of them follow through with it anyway.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:18 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Sadly, if any stance that goes against the status quo of the same old American politician is viewed as "fringe" there is little hope for this country going forward regardless of candidate.

This isn't even about Paul really, if Americans are complacent with being fed the same pile of crap they've been eating for years then what's the point of the whole dog and pony show anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh