Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 11:55 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times

Advertisements

Again courtesy of Pop City:

TEDx Pittsburgh talk: 2.4 million

I think it makes a good case that population size/growth is not really the central issue for the region, although sprawl has been an issue, plus a lot of other interesting points. One fun set of facts:

Quote:
- Here are few representative European regions:
- Pittsburgh Region: 2.4 million
- Copenhagen Region: 2.4 million
- Zurich Region: 2.4 million
- Vienna Region: 2.2 million
- Turin Region: 2.2 million
- Dublin Region: 1.6 million
- Like Pittsburgh, they are not growing in population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
But after watching the video, what I would want to know is, how far have those European cities had to sprawl to house that population? A city really needs a certain density, at least in some neighborhoods so that you really feel like you are living in a city. Never having been to Pittsburgh, how many of the neighborhoods within the city really feel like urban neighborhoods? I hope it's a lot of them.

Old 12-15-2011, 05:20 AM

443 posts, read 600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
But after watching the video, what I would want to know is, how far have those European cities had to sprawl to house that population? A city really needs a certain density, at least in some neighborhoods so that you really feel like you are living in a city. Never having been to Pittsburgh, how many of the neighborhoods within the city really feel like urban neighborhoods? I hope it's a lot of them.
Pittsburgh is like Charlotte, sprawly, low dense, and strip malls. In the city majority of the "urban" neighborhoods are subdivision housing.

No, seriously. Pittsburgh is unique in that it is a city of many different types of neighborhoods. Many of them feel very urban. But do to the terrain there are pockets that don't feel urban at all. The population density is much more scattered in pockets than a large overall population density map that consists of majority of the population in the center and then it just pans out slowly in a 360 degree radius from downtown like most American cities.

Many of the neighborhoods feel urban in their own way. Only a few don't feel as urban such as Greenfield, Morningside, and Squirrel Hill NORTH, not Squirrel Hill south like many on this forum believe.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,331 times
Pittsburgh is no Charlotte which had a population of only 100,000 in 1940 so it doesn't have as many urban walk-able neighborhoods - nowhere near. The urban neighborhoods that do exist are outrageously expensive as there has been so much demand for these types of areas since Charlotte has grown so much in the last 20 years. I'd love to live in one, but we're forced to live in bland suburbia. Sure would love to move back to Pgh so I can live in greater density.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:18 AM

747 posts, read 1,232,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Again courtesy of Pop City:

TEDx Pittsburgh talk: 2.4 million

I think it makes a good case that population size/growth is not really the central issue for the region, although sprawl has been an issue, plus a lot of other interesting points. One fun set of facts:
I read the article on the popcity website yesterday. It was interesting.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
Never having been to Pittsburgh, how many of the neighborhoods within the city really feel like urban neighborhoods? I hope it's a lot of them.
I think of Pittsburgh as having lots of "semi-urban" neighborhoods. These are neighborhoods which are not dominated by high-rise apartment buildings (although there may be some low-rise apartment buildings), but the lots are relatively small, and there may be some or many rowhouses. The streets are often laid out as a compact grid with sidewalks, and there is often at least a small neighborhood commercial district within walking distance.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:30 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
I'm surprised to see how comparable we are in population to some European cities that are considered global cities.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
The water issue was the interesting thing to me about the presentation. Amazing that it has to be transported hundreds and hundreds of miles to supply the needs of a place like Phoenix. I don't think 4 million people were ever meant to live in one place in the desert. And with the population of the southwest continuing to grow and the water supply continuiing to shrink, I don't see a very happy future for them.

I also liked the new terms he used: instead of "rust belt" and "sun belt," it should be "water belt" and "drought belt."

Old 12-15-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I'm surprised to see how comparable we are in population to some European cities that are considered global cities.
The U.S. has a lot of cities that are not quite mega-cities, but are nonetheless very large by European standards. That's how a city like Pittsburgh can end up relatively far down the U.S. list despite being comparable in size to the largest city in several European countries.

Incidentally, here are a few more (either not much above or below):

Warsaw 3 mill
Budapest 2.8 mill
Lisbon 2.7 mill
Prague 2.3 mill
Stockholm 2.2 mill
Helsinki 1.8 mill
Oslo 1.6 mill

Old 12-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
The water issue was the interesting thing to me about the presentation. Amazing that it has to be transported hundreds and hundreds of miles to supply the needs of a place like Phoenix. I don't think 4 million people were ever meant to live in one place in the desert. And with the population of the southwest continuing to grow and the water supply continuiing to shrink, I don't see a very happy future for them.
Atlanta has water issues too, as a result of being so high up in their watershed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh