Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:06 AM

14 posts, read 15,828 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am planning a move to Pittsburgh from my current location in northern Minnesota. I know that may seem random, but i am origionally from NE Ohio so i am somewhat familiar with the area and am no stranger to city life. It's just been awhile and would like to know a couple things from you fine people if i could. As far as the situation stands down there, i have a friend to stay with in Crafton and all is pretty much set up for my arrival. I've gotten pretty much all the information i need, but i figure a few extra opinions never hurt so here are a couple questions. I will be selling my vehicle since, yes, its basically a beater with a heater and i dont trust it to make the distance and also i figure i could use a lil more extra cash while im looking for a job. So basically i was wondering about the public transportation options i would have from that area (as well as the bus system as a whole). Is service very limited? As in time wise and area covered? Ill be looking for work in the hospitality industry since i have nearly 10 years of experience to offer in the field. Now, i have no college degree, but am a very capable and knowledgable worker. Will my lack of education trump my amount of experience or is experience valued more than a degree and no experience in that field in that particular metro? Is there even too much of a job market in this field in the Pittsburgh area? Are there any particular hotels that have trouble keeping a consistant front desk staff that any of you know of? I have done both night and day shifts, but would prefer not to do night audits. Yet i know "beggers" can't be choosers. Haha. Thank you for any information you all may have on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 09:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocated82 View Post
Hello. I am planning a move to Pittsburgh from my current location in northern Minnesota. I know that may seem random, but i am origionally from NE Ohio so i am somewhat familiar with the area and am no stranger to city life. It's just been awhile and would like to know a couple things from you fine people if i could. As far as the situation stands down there, i have a friend to stay with in Crafton and all is pretty much set up for my arrival. I've gotten pretty much all the information i need, but i figure a few extra opinions never hurt so here are a couple questions. I will be selling my vehicle since, yes, its basically a beater with a heater and i dont trust it to make the distance and also i figure i could use a lil more extra cash while im looking for a job. So basically i was wondering about the public transportation options i would have from that area (as well as the bus system as a whole). Is service very limited? As in time wise and area covered? Ill be looking for work in the hospitality industry since i have nearly 10 years of experience to offer in the field. Now, i have no college degree, but am a very capable and knowledgable worker. Will my lack of education trump my amount of experience or is experience valued more than a degree and no experience in that field in that particular metro? Is there even too much of a job market in this field in the Pittsburgh area? Are there any particular hotels that have trouble keeping a consistant front desk staff that any of you know of? I have done both night and day shifts, but would prefer not to do night audits. Yet i know "beggers" can't be choosers. Haha. Thank you for any information you all may have on this.
Start by walking to local bars and restaurants for your job and then keep moving outward, since you will have no car. If it was me, I wouldn't sell the car. I would get AAA plus for $50 or whatever it costs and drive the car here. Someone else will chime in on public transportation from there. It is a hot topic right now, because there might be some cuts in service. Of course those cuts might just be a ploy to get more state funding or get another tax going.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Start by walking to local bars and restaurants for your job and then keep moving outward, since you will have no car. If it was me, I wouldn't sell the car. I would get AAA plus for $50 or whatever it costs and drive the car here. Someone else will chime in on public transportation from there. It is a hot topic right now, because there might be some cuts in service. Of course those cuts might just be a ploy to get more state funding or get another tax going.
Thank you for replying. I guess i should have pointed out the fact that i will have access to a vehicle. It just wont be 24/7 being that this person does work during the day and im not ballzy enough to assume ill be able to have access while she is at work. So i suppose that changes things a bit. I just want to know while i don't have the car i won't be sequestered at the house and will have the option of taking a bus where i need to go. Where ever that may be. Heh. But yes, i will have intermittant access to a vehicle. Just on someone elses terms. As far as bars and restaurants go, i do have some line cooking experience also, so i'm kind of leaning on that as a plan B. But, I would love to continue working in the hotel industry so i'll take any advice in that (or any) reguard.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocated82 View Post
Thank you for replying. I guess i should have pointed out the fact that i will have access to a vehicle. It just wont be 24/7 being that this person does work during the day and im not ballzy enough to assume ill be able to have access while she is at work. So i suppose that changes things a bit. I just want to know while i don't have the car i won't be sequestered at the house and will have the option of taking a bus where i need to go. Where ever that may be. Heh. But yes, i will have intermittant access to a vehicle. Just on someone elses terms. As far as bars and restaurants go, i do have some line cooking experience also, so i'm kind of leaning on that as a plan B. But, I would love to continue working in the hotel industry so i'll take any advice in that (or any) reguard.
I think you will get a job in that industry. Maybe not your dream job or a job that funds you the best to start, but getting your foot in the door would be more important for your first job in Pittsburgh, then look for a better job. You are breaking into a new market and many times people expect too much. An employer is taking a bit more risk with you because your work experience is in another part of the country and they may know you might not stay here.

Good luck.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think you will get a job in that industry. Maybe not your dream job or a job that funds you the best to start, but getting your foot in the door would be more important for your first job in Pittsburgh, then look for a better job. You are breaking into a new market and many times people expect too much. An employer is taking a bit more risk with you because your work experience is in another part of the country and they may know you might not stay here.

Good luck.
Well it'd definately be a better start than flippin burgers or selling gas and smokes (I hope ). And being that wages up here are pretty much pathetic i'm hoping to get at least what i was making here which would be fine with me splitting the bills. I really have no problems with expectations or things of that nature being that usually (from what ive gathered over the years) most hotel managers dont really expect too incredibly much since most people don't expect applicants for front desk to be making a career out of the opportunity. They are just trying to fill holes with a friendly face. But i am passionate about my job and would like to move up a ladder to being a GM one day, which may take some time, but i am patient and confident i can exceed any expectations placed on me. But does anyone know exactly what kind of market there is in Pittsburgh for this field? It seems pretty decent and i've seen a couple postings on-line for front desk associates, so i'm hoping thats just the tip of the iceberg. So if anyone has any "inside info " theyre willing to share i'd be eternally greatful. Are out of staters accepted well? i've heard great things, but like i said in the OP, a few extra opinions never hurt anything.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:28 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
The people I know in that industry are constantly complaining about finding enough qualified, experienced employees. It often takes a while to find your ideal job here--employers seem to take their time filling positions, and some may still be skeptical about new migrants, although I think that attitude is dying out--but I suspect your opportunities will ultimately be as good as any larger city.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The people I know in that industry are constantly complaining about finding enough qualified, experienced employees. It often takes a while to find your ideal job here--employers seem to take their time filling positions, and some may still be skeptical about new migrants, although I think that attitude is dying out--but I suspect your opportunities will ultimately be as good as any larger city.
Well that is very encouraging news Brian. Thank you for the reply. That is also the attitude of most employers in that field up here. Most people I've worked with have basically used that postion as a way to "get by" untill they find something better. So i figure over time as i prove i'm not there simply as a bridge to greener pastures and in it for the long haul, my potential boss will value me even more. And i do understand the skepticism, but i have no doubt that i'm not going anywhere and my position in Pittsburgh is secure. So i hope to get that across as thoroughly as i can to any potential employer.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:59 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
What a lot of people who migrate here without jobs in hand find is they have to take a non-ideal job to make ends meet while they work on getting their ideal job. I'm not sure that would happen in your case--there may be some smoke-blowing going on, but to listen to these people they highly value experience and can't seem to find enough people with experience to hire--but in any event if you don't mind that possibility, then I think your strategy is likely to work out.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:09 PM

625 posts, read 902,563 times
You can get a job with BNY Mellon. Check their website. After all they are moving all the jobs from NY to Pitts. Thanks to the crafty idea of Bob Kelly who just got axed. Check it out. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
What a lot of people who migrate here without jobs in hand find is they have to take a non-ideal job to make ends meet while they work on getting their ideal job. I'm not sure that would happen in your case--there may be some smoke-blowing going on, but to listen to these people they highly value experience and can't seem to find enough people with experience to hire--but in any event if you don't mind that possibility, then I think your strategy is likely to work out.
Well in my case, any possiblity is better than the option of staying where i am currently. Due to an extremely mild winter and lack of snow cover, we had a devestating winter for businesses in the Northland. We depend on snowmobilers and ice fisherman for our winter season and we have had barely any snow. Also the hotel I'm currently employed with was built in 2001 with the idea of becoming a "long-stay option" and was vastly over-built, especially after the economy fell apart. So the threat of closure is very real and i'm tired of the weather determining my employment. Also other job oportunities in the region are basically nill. So i need to make a change before it is too late to do so. So being that i didnt really want to move back to the Canton-Akron area where i'm origionally from (i've heard horrifying things about unemployment and foreclosures since i left). I figured Pittsburgh to be the most desirable place for me, being that im close enough to familiarity and far enough away from the blight thats encompassing NE Ohio. I figure my loyalties to the Browns will get me some good ribbings, but hey, as a life long fan, i'm used to it. Haha. Ive always loved Pittsburgh and the people in the area seem generally nice so i figure it's about as close to moving forward without retracing my steps as i can get. OK, i'm rambling now. Back to the subject at hand, I do have a pretty decent refund to survive on untill i get the ball rolling so i'm confident i'll be alright. Just looking for more local insight on conditions of my industry in the area and getting around. Is there any area where there is a high concentration of hotels that i should start with? Or are they pretty spread out over the city? Is there any area where any of you wouldn't work for fear of robbery or a high concentration of crime? I know the basics, Homewood, Wilkinsburg, etc etc. Just making sure there arent any i'm missing. But thank you for the info i greatly appreciate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh