Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,823 times

Advertisements

My husband and I moved here last year from Houston. We adore this city.

Our only dislike is that you can't hail a cab here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 05:59 PM

19 posts, read 62,882 times
Thanks everyone for the very informative opinions you offered. It's incredibly helpful getting your input. We are coming to visit soon!

Old 12-18-2011, 07:50 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
I hope you enjoy your visit (and watch out--this place can be strangely seductive).

Old 12-18-2011, 09:18 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I hope you enjoy your visit (and watch out--this place can be strangely seductive).
You mean like, you come here for three years and end up staying for the rest of your life? I wouldn't know anything about that.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:51 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
I spent 3/4 of my life in cities along the I-79 corridor (Clarksburg, Morgantown, Buckhannon, WV, Waynesburg), and Pittsburgh was the "big city" we went to for shopping, concerts, and transportation.

I now live in the Pittsburgh Metro area but work in the city limits. Moving to the area wasn't a big shock and I knew what to expect.

I agree with some of posters regarding the litter issue. This region of the country is beautiful, but litter abounds. The number of people I've seen littering while others are around is shocking. They don't hide it and will throw trash on the ground in plain sight of others. I witnessed the queen of lazy the other day at Wendy's on Liberty Ave: She threw her Wendy's cup BESIDE the trash can, not INSIDE.

The customer service seems to be lacking too. It seems like I am bothering the clerks when I want to simply pay for my purchase. A simple "Thank you" after the transaction should not be done by the customer. I also have to call offices throughout Pittsburgh and western PA due to my job and the attitude and slow service I receive for simply requesting information is astounding. I am used to more cheerful and responsive service back home.

I've had many close calls due to driver inattention. I used to think the drivers weren't that bad in Pittsburgh, but I'm changing my opinion on that. There are worse places to drive (try southwestern Connecticut and the Washington, DC area), but I see so much recklessness on city streets and highways. Watch out when it snows! The stupidity magnifies!

But I think every place has its quirks. The Pittsburgh area is very affordable for a large city. I know I sound negative, but the thread is about what you like least. Overall, Pittsburgh is a great city!

Last edited by tallydude02; 12-18-2011 at 11:07 PM..

Old 12-19-2011, 05:15 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I agree with most of the points already stated particularly litter and the Steelers (though I am a fan). I don't like how the official uniform seems to consist of Steelers clothes - jackets and sweatshirts that really should be banished after college-age except at games. 50 year old men and women in Steelers jackets look ridiculous to me.

As for the "M.C. Escher designed road network, I actually find this can be a fun aspect of the city. I've always enjoyed working on difficult mazes as a child. Sometimes it's a fun challenge to drive to a new area not knowing whether you will get lost (thereby discovering unexpected places!) Once you do know your way around, it feels like you belong to an exclusive club which knows all the secrets.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,700,155 times
[quote=ex-burgher;22180407] 50 year old men and women in Steelers jackets look ridiculous to me.[q/quote] LOL me too!

Quote:
Sometimes it's a fun challenge to drive to a new area not knowing whether you will get lost (thereby discovering unexpected places!) Once you do know your way around, it feels like you belong to an exclusive club which knows all the secrets.
That's exactly how I learned my way around. I take note of traffic patterns and am always finding faster, more efficient ways to get around. A skill that natives never picked up. You sit at the on ramp at Edgewood/Swissvale every morning. I'll be downtown before you even get through the tunnel.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:03 PM

606 posts, read 943,733 times
I'm from Atlanta and I've lived in Squirrel Hill for about six years.

Likes: People are friendly and easy-going. Incredibly easy commute and cheap housing. Low crime for a city its size. Great place to raise a kiddo -- there's a lot of family-friendly stuff going on. Some excellent restaurants (that is something that's improved a lot in the time I've been here). Lots of farmer's markets, local food, etc. Pittsburgh has really good cultural opportunities for a city this size, too. Some really great museums. The libraries and parks are tremendous.

Dislikes: Snow (but I'd dislike that anywhere there's snow). Almost no good Mexican food. Groceries in general are a lot more expensive. Snow. I was definitely surprised at how "dumpy" even nicer areas of the city looked compared to the cities I'd had much experience in (Atlanta, DC, Savannah) when we first looked, but the city has grown on me. Not many places other than bars to go and hang out after about 10:00.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:15 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
I'm surprised no one has mentioned much about infrastructure.

The roads looks like Berlin's after WWII, snow removal is hideous, bridges are rusting, buildings are falling apart, storefronts are empty, transit is a joke, property damage due to the city being built on mine shafts, police are corrupt, fire departments rely on volunteers, post offices are getting axed soon, housing is often in need of serious repair, air pollution is high, our economy relies on education and health insurance that may soon burst, our roadways are packed with traffic even though our population is relatively small, our littering problem is huge, and our drinking water is polluted.

I love my city and I know some of these problems aren't unique for this area, but sometimes I think from an infrastructure perspective we may be 2nd world. I know I'll get hell for this post, but dudes that move here should know this stuff.

Old 12-19-2011, 01:36 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,003,811 times
Speaking just for myself: in my mind infrastructure issues were partially covered under my complaints about the state and local government situations. Otherwise, they just aren't different enough from other cities I have lived to stand out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh