Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:56 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times

Advertisements

The hell is a "Tim"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeinGlanzendMotorrad View Post
The hell is a "Tim"?
Timberlands. Apparently it's 1995 or something. Perhaps we should go even farther and pretend that black dudes show up everywhere in a b-boy stance.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
So you grow up in the ghetto, no one has any money, some 20 something drives up in an Escalade wearing gold and has a wad of cash. You are 14 years old and broke all the time and can't buy those Tim's you wanted. Hey man, you want to make some easy money? Then the ball rolls. There will ALWAYS be someone to do that job and there will always be shootings because you need to collect money and the turf wars. The only way to slow it down is from the top, not the bottom. You need to slow down the mules and the big dealers. It has never been done because the amount of money involved. The Mexican drug dealers run the entire country. They build tunnels and spare no expense. Our government is too busy rebuilding other countries, instead of taking care of business at home. I think the borders should have military presence more and go after this drug trade, but it has never worked, so maybe it is impossible.

No way are you going to have EVERY parent being a good one. There are bad parents in every neighborhood. Good parents can have a drug dealer son. Just the way it is.
This issue will not change until two things happen. First, the incentive to deal drugs has to disappear. Sending people to prison only makes the situation worse. The only solution is to legalize drugs. That is the solution that will make a difference. The other change must be economic. There must be the potential for decent jobs. When there was the option of getting a job in the mill, you didn't have the problems you see today. Education won't make a difference until the drugs and jobs situation is fixed.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins View Post
I am a volunteer for the Pittsburgh Promise. We have an outreach program for black male seniors. Black male students benefit least from the promise although they make up the majority of the male students in the PPS. Over the past 3 years Schenly alone has sent 60 young black males to college campuses. Of the 60 students, 57 still remain in college. These students most likely would have not attended college otherwise.

We had one middle aged white woman from Edgewood who wanted to help. She questioned if she would be taken seriously by a group of inner city black males. I explained to her that if a young black male makes to his senior year, he cannot be all that bad. In my experience, most bad kids never make it past the 9th or 10th grade. Once she started vounteering, she was pleasantly surprised that she was accepted and appreciated by the students.

All children want to succeed. Some children need additional help and resources in order to see the light.
That's awesome! Thank you for sharing that with me! I'll definitely check it out!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The only solution is to legalize drugs. That is the solution that will make a difference. The other change must be economic. There must be the potential for decent jobs.
Totally agree with this part. Don't agree with you saying education won't make a difference. It does make a difference, just not as big of a difference without the other things being done.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:17 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,872,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
b-boy stance.
I'm going to start doling out beatings if this sort of thing continues.

b-boy stance?

Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,154,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
This issue will not change until two things happen. First, the incentive to deal drugs has to disappear. Sending people to prison only makes the situation worse. The only solution is to legalize drugs. That is the solution that will make a difference. The other change must be economic. There must be the potential for decent jobs. When there was the option of getting a job in the mill, you didn't have the problems you see today. Education won't make a difference until the drugs and jobs situation is fixed.
I agree. If you legalize what most people are going after, the way these gangs make most of their living will be gone becuase who'd want to deal with a drug dealer if they could buy it at a store. However, if marijuana was legalized, I think most gangs would just try to get people hooked on another drug that's illegal.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:55 AM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
[quote]The hell is a "Tim"?[quote]
C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!
You know, like the Timberland Boots

Old 12-21-2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Totally agree with this part. Don't agree with you saying education won't make a difference. It does make a difference, just not as big of a difference without the other things being done.
I think we are saying pretty much the same thing. I said, "Education won't make a difference until the drugs and jobs situation is fixed." Obviously there are exceptions but I referring to the majority of inner city youth.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree. If you legalize what most people are going after, the way these gangs make most of their living will be gone becuase who'd want to deal with a drug dealer if they could buy it at a store. However, if marijuana was legalized, I think most gangs would just try to get people hooked on another drug that's illegal.
Exactly. Why do so many people understand this but our society wants to deny this is the solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh