U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 7,218 times
I always assumed that in court the accuser had to prove the offender's guilt. Which I do not believe was done. He went in there with a picture of my dog and his word that she is locked out all day long to bark incessantly, and a police officer's agreement that we are apparently abusing her by locking her outside without water or shelter. Both of these are completely false.

On my appeal I'm not going to be passive. I will instead prove my innocence. If I have to I'll show a month or two of a log of when she is barking. Hell I'll mark ever time she takes a **** if it will help.

A few posts in this thread shows what I'm up against. Yes of course you don't know the whole story without actually being here, but it doesn't stop a few of people assuming that I'm in the wrong, that I don't know how to take care of my dog and that she should be removed (or destroyed). I'm confident that if you did live here you would know that I do not in fact let her out to be a disturbance. That all accusations are blatantly false.

What was proven was that:
1) There is a dog barking
2) I own a dog that will bark when confronted

I will not lay down and let this happen again. It will cost me more to defend it than if I just payed the fine and stayed quiet. It isn't about the fine anymore, I cannot let this guy get away with accusing me of causing a nuisance, when I know that I have not. If I'm going to have to keep her inside more than she already is, I'm going to have to train her to use a litter box.

And I've never sprayed my dog with water before, but I have a feeling she wouldn't put up with it quietly.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:39 PM

40,271 posts, read 43,183,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb245 View Post
If I'm going to have to keep her inside more than she already is, I'm going to have to train her to use a litter box.
That's silly. If you don't know how to train your dog to do its business on command, look it up, buy a dog training book. You stand there, you say a command, the dog instantly does its business. There is no darn good reason to train a dog to a litter box!!! If you can't be bothered to go outside with your dog four times a day, you shouldn't have a dog. Dogs don't need to urinate and defecate more than that.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:46 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,742,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You stand there, you say a command, the dog instantly does its business.
If you can do this every time with every dog, you should go into the Cesar Millan biz. You'd make big bucks.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
If you can do this every time with every dog, you should go into the Cesar Millan biz. You'd make big bucks.
It's totally possible! I didn't believe it either.

It was in a training book. I decided to give it a try with my new puppy who is now 16 years old.

AND it works! It really does work.

Of course, people need to be patient to train dogs. It doesn't happen the first, second or third time.

I subsequently adopted a 3 year old dog and was able to train him too. You can teach old dogs new tricks.

I don't think I'm that special of a dog trainer. I think others just don't really try.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:04 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,202,218 times
My dog can pee on command. I only really do it before we get in the car. I always say, "go out, go pee" before I let him out. So I started saying, "pee" or "pee for me bud" and pointing to the yard before we got in the car, and then rewarded him when he did. It was pretty easy.

Also, can't you just let or take your dog out to do her business and then bring her in right after? My dog, when I first adopted him, thought he could get me to come out and play with him by refusing to come back in the house. I started to give him a small treat when he did come back in, and now he goes out, does his thing and comes right back in. (My backyard is fenced in.)

Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
I started to give him a small treat when he did come back in, and now he goes out, does his thing and comes right back in. (My backyard is fenced in.)
Yep! My dogs always get treats for coming into the house. The house is the cool, popular place to be. I'll call them from my door, and they always run like lightening because they know there are buscuits waiting. Always. Always. Always. I don't care what else they've done wrong, coming into the house is always rewarded.

Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,664,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb245 View Post
I always assumed that in court the accuser had to prove the offender's guilt. Which I do not believe was done. He went in there with a picture of my dog and his word that she is locked out all day long to bark incessantly, and a police officer's agreement that we are apparently abusing her by locking her outside without water or shelter. Both of these are completely false.

On my appeal I'm not going to be passive. I will instead prove my innocence. If I have to I'll show a month or two of a log of when she is barking. Hell I'll mark ever time she takes a **** if it will help.

A few posts in this thread shows what I'm up against. Yes of course you don't know the whole story without actually being here, but it doesn't stop a few of people assuming that I'm in the wrong, that I don't know how to take care of my dog and that she should be removed (or destroyed). I'm confident that if you did live here you would know that I do not in fact let her out to be a disturbance. That all accusations are blatantly false.

What was proven was that:
1) There is a dog barking
2) I own a dog that will bark when confronted

I will not lay down and let this happen again. It will cost me more to defend it than if I just payed the fine and stayed quiet. It isn't about the fine anymore, I cannot let this guy get away with accusing me of causing a nuisance, when I know that I have not. If I'm going to have to keep her inside more than she already is, I'm going to have to train her to use a litter box.

And I've never sprayed my dog with water before, but I have a feeling she wouldn't put up with it quietly.

He proved his case. Two witness, the neighbor and the cop, plus a photo. Gotta control your dog better or your situation is going to get worse.

What did the cop specifically say?

Old 12-29-2011, 02:06 PM

169 posts, read 144,497 times
Some of the posters in this thread are really jumping on the OP. The neighbor's case seems fishy at best.

1) The neighbor was in the wrong for not trying to talk it out before getting authorities involved.
2) The accused should have done a better job defending themselves

Things I would have done:

1) Detailed pictures of the environment
2) Map of the neighborhood
3) Statements from other neighbors
4) Log of dog's activity

Then you show up and plead your case. The judge was only presented half the evidence, he made a determination on what he was presented. You presented him nothing, so he had no choice. You should have approached each neighbor surrounding you and asked for a written statement or asked them to sign something you wrote stating your dog caused them no ill will. Doing this is the easiest way to show that it's not you that's the problem, it's the neighbor.

Now back to those of you posting here: Sure, we don't have the whole story, but too many of you are jumping on the OP and making accusations and strongly worded comments without a full understanding. This poster has done nothing to drive us to thinking they're a liar, we shouldn't treat them as such.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:10 PM

4,314 posts, read 2,742,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post
Some of the posters in this thread are really jumping on the OP. The neighbor's case seems fishy at best.
Plus the dog is a cross between two of my favorite breeds, German Shorthaired Pointer and a Coonhound. That's got to be one cool pooch.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjtocool View Post
This poster has done nothing to drive us to thinking they're a liar, we shouldn't treat them as such.
We're not calling her a liar. We think she might not be aware of the impact her dog is having on her neighbors. That's different from lying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Plus the dog is a cross between two of my favorite breeds, German Shorthaired Pointer and a Coonhound. That's got to be one cool pooch.
I missed that. Definitely one cool dog!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh